Confirmed with Link: Penguins sign Brock McGinn

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah, this is a really good way of putting my feelings about the coaching situation. I don't know if Tocchet can still be that dude here, but I'd like there to be at least another strong voice on the bench.
I think Rick can still be that assistant. I just don't think Todd is that assistant. Recchi definitely wasn't either. Rick is a no nonsense bloke that the players respected so when the word came from him as a filter from Sully, they took that message better.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't have to be happy with what they have done.

I don't know why everyone has to be. These are near nothing moves as far as the team goes moving forward.

McGinn in the end probably will be a good acquisition, but it's not a given.

I don't see the team as better moving forward, they might have gotten a cheaper version of Tanev, but Tanev wasn't the be all, and neither is McGinn.
Mate, GM Crosby said he wanted to keep the core together and get Fleury back. So they have to be smart with the cap so they can figure that 7m out.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Simon occasionally has a goal that he roofs and you're like wow nice shot.

Then you realize every damn shot is high and that's just how he shoots and sometimes it works. Very rarely actually. His shooting percentage is such shit.

I mean... I guess it was better than TK's shooting strategy which seemed to be "Shit man ONE of these times Imma put that sumbitch straight through the goaltender's chest... you'll see! You'll ALL see!"

But no for real there is no worse NHL shot than Simon. At least at forward. That I'M aware of.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Noted difference makers; Nick Bonino and Carl Hagelin. :laugh:

The Penguins are the 10th oldest team in the NHL and have a ~35 year old core that's been through it all, and won the Cup multiple times. They don't need guys with experience or leadership, that's PR speak for "this guy sucks, and we can't point to anything but pseudo-attributes".

The fact you laugh makes me wonder if you even know this team.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hagelin scored at a .35 PPG rate in NYR in the playoffs.

McGinn scored at a .29 PPG rate in CAR in the playoffs.

Why does it have to be all about points? Hagelin played in more games, two ECF's and a finals where McGinn was in a 4-0 sweep at the hands of Boston in the ECF's. Hagelin had played in over 70 playoff games in a 4 year span.

Surly you can see the difference. That's a lot of winning and it continued here. That doesn't mean McGinn can't help, he just doesn't have the same track record Hagelin had. Hagelin was a 30+ player where McGinn is a 20+ and a regular +/- negative.

Hagelin was a regular good defensive player save his short stint in Anaheim and LA.

There is a difference. But I doubt he ever truly gets to Hagelin levels of defense and produce.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Why does it have to be all about points? Hagelin played in more games, two ECF's and a finals where McGinn was in a 4-0 sweep at the hands of Boston in the ECF's. Hagelin had played in over 70 playoff games in a 4 year span.

Surly you can see the difference. That's a lot of winning and it continued here. That doesn't mean McGinn can't help, he just doesn't have the same track record Hagelin had. Hagelin was a 30+ player where McGinn is a 20+ and a regular +/- negative.

Hagelin was a regular good defensive player save his short stint in Anaheim and LA.

There is a difference. But I doubt he ever truly gets to Hagelin levels of defense and produce.

I honestly think you have no clue about the type of player McGinn is and you’re going to be stoked on him. He’s very similar to Hags.

Reactions: Night Shift

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I honestly think you have no clue about the type of player McGinn is and you’re going to be stoked on him. He’s very similar to Hags.

That's fine, but he hasn't been even close to similar, and why I pointed those things out why Hagelin was a difference maker for those who scoff/laugh at the notion.

Stoked, like a Tanev kind of way? Because I expected more from him here. I know use had a lot to do with that. There's a lot to be said about "spinning your wheels" and "no finish."

Let's see where he lands and go from there. Obviously/most likely, 3rd line with ZAR/TB to start.

I can agree he's a decent grab, I just would have gone for more...

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
That's fine, but he hasn't been even close to similar, and why I pointed those things out why Hagelin was a difference maker for those who scoff/laugh at the notion.

Stoked, like a Tanev kind of way? Because I expected more from him here. I know use had a lot to do with that. There's a lot to be said about "spinning your wheels" and "no finish."

Let's see where he lands and go from there. Obviously/most likely, 3rd line with ZAR/TB to start.

Just a thought. You need to consider that many higher tier players are either out or our price range or would rather go to a better situation.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

There wasn’t really more available reasonably. I mean Barclay Goodrow got f***ing 3.6 x 6.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just a thought. You need to consider that many higher tier players are either out or our price range or would rather go to a better situation.

Sure, but my stance is why on day one? The tree hasn't been shook completely yet, and there's literally no cap left if they sign Zohorna and ZAR, leaving only a trade route to do anything. I don't want to trade Zucker because I think he and Carter could be a match, or it's at least worth giving it a bigger sample size to find out. They can't keep sending out talent and bringing back lesser talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad