Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread IXIIV: We want a backup goalie right meow

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
The Penguins for the last 12 games have been the definition of middle of the pack for basically every metric worth caring about. You can blame that on Malkin and injuries. I wouldn’t though.

Even the top teams don't run at the top of the pack for metrics for stretches during the season. Its a long season.

Reactions: Giskard

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The Penguins for the last 12 games have been the definition of middle of the pack for basically every metric worth caring about. You can blame that on Malkin and injuries. I wouldn’t though.
I'd blame it on a team clearly running out of gas because of an insane schedule backdropped against substantial injury and COVID issues.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Penguins started to struggle with depth scoring during a period in which they had their longest road trip (six games, 11 days, three time zones) and followed that up with eight more games in 13 days, including two sets of three games in four days.

Do you really think it's a coincidence that the guys who are gassed the most and slumping are the guys who had to play bigger minutes earlier in the season? Carter, Rodrigues, Heinen all had much larger roles than anticipated. They haven't had a chance to regroup and finally hit a wall.

If the depth struggles continue after this break, maybe there's a concern. But right now the team just needs a breather.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think Hextall should talk Giroux into a trade but only to the Pens, and for 50% cap savings and Dom Simon…he’ll be the greatest GM in Pens history if he does that…

Last edited:

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
I don't think we want to touch Petry's contract and a guy like Him is not the kind of guy the Pens really need anyways unless He comes for half that salary.

Last edited:

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I think people need to tap the brakes on any aggressive trade scenarios.

Be realistic. The Penguins are more likely to do something trade Kapanen for a similarly priced forward who provides a different style of play, or trade someone like Simon or ZAR for a similarly priced bottom pairing defensemen who adds a different element to the back end, or swap backup goalies for a different look behind Jarry.

That's it. A massive addition to the top six, Letang insurance, trades involving any of the UFAs, none of that is happening.

It will be relatively moderate, calculated, precise moves to fill a specific need. That's it.

Reactions: Giskard

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Giordano might be interesting. He can play RD, right? Could have a “let’s win one for Boyle & Giordie” theme to the playoff run.

Reactions: Dipsy Doodle

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
Giordano might be interesting. He can play RD, right? Could have a “let’s win one for Boyle & Giordie” theme to the playoff run.
Not without substantial retention.

Any trade has to feature salary going out or significant retention. The Penguins have absolutely zero cap room unless Zucker is out until the playoffs.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Not without substantial retention.

Any trade has to feature salary going out or significant retention. The Penguins have absolutely zero cap room unless Zucker is out until the playoffs.
I’m just assuming that any rental will have maximum retention because why wouldn’t they? Except maybe Arizona because they’re poor.

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
I’m just assuming that any rental will have maximum retention because why wouldn’t they? Except maybe Arizona because they’re poor.
I'm not even sure if max retention and assistance from a third team would be possible to fit a contract like Giordano's without a decent salary going back. Not sure about the math.

The Pens' are literally at zero cap space. If they're ever healthy, they will have to trade someone or push someone out via waivers just to be cap compliant.

Reactions: Jacob

OtherThingsILike

May 6, 2020
Pittsburgh
Cap situation is a limiting factor. Just don't have cap space here so the roster is filled with play the right way guys who offer limited skills. Reese, Simon, and others are used in a Sully right side of the puck nonsense that somehow that will translated to scoring. Next year Pens have to change it up and get away from the style that just is ineffective in the playoffs. Sully has a system that wears down guys with high energy play becomes a issue in the clutch and grab and interfere playoff hockey. You could see it by the second cup run that the team was gassed and playing on fumes.
Playing the whole playoffs without your 1D will do that.

Once the Penguins have possession, Sullivan doesn't seem to care one bit how the Penguins produce offense.
This needs to be repeated more often. The players are not 'overcoached' with how they generate offense; if anything, they're undercoached.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Seattle could retain a lot based on what the Pens give them, it's their time to recoup assets and fix the brutal expansion draft that Francis botched.

Only thing is, we have shit assets that would be worth while moving that would be available.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Does not look good for the Pens this year for a trade...
The gift that made sure we have nothing left to give...

Pittsburgh-Post-Gazette-1.jpg

Reactions: Pens x

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
We need to be healthy, that and Jarry not soiling the bed in the playoffs. Those are the two most important variables to consider. I'm not sure we can count on either TBTH. But if those areas are solid, I'm not so sure a trade is necessary. And if we do make a trade it should be for an under the radar depth player.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I'd blame it on a team clearly running out of gas because of an insane schedule backdropped against substantial injury and COVID issues.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Penguins started to struggle with depth scoring during a period in which they had their longest road trip (six games, 11 days, three time zones) and followed that up with eight more games in 13 days, including two sets of three games in four days.

Do you really think it's a coincidence that the guys who are gassed the most and slumping are the guys who had to play bigger minutes earlier in the season? Carter, Rodrigues, Heinen all had much larger roles than anticipated. They haven't had a chance to regroup and finally hit a wall.

If the depth struggles continue after this break, maybe there's a concern. But right now the team just needs a breather.

Definitely a great point, that was a grueling stretch, ASB couldn't have come soon enough.

That was pretty much the meatiest part of their schedule. Now they have a big run of tough games in Feb to mid-March

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Proof that I’m not RW…I disagree with this…gotta let Rust walk..

HockeyBuzz.com - Ryan Wilson - Bringing back Bryan Rust is a must

Bryan Rust has 130 points in his last 135 regular season games spanning the last three seasons. He works well with Sid and Malkin. The alternative to re-signing him is losing him for nothing.

If he was to be dealt it should have been for a haul before this season. Now, you have to re-sign him, as there is pretty much no way you get better than him in free agency at a lower salary. Pittsburgh is also probably the only team Rust is going to give anything like a discount, and we should give him extra years to bring down the cap-hit, taking us into the "whatever" territory that lies just beyond the horizon.

Instead, if you want to change the makeup of the team (and I think we should), you trade someone you can get a return on. Like Kapanen.

I think Wilson is a bit of wet fart, but on this he isn't wrong. IMO.

Reactions: Rave7215 and vodeni

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Bryan Rust has 130 points in his last 135 regular season games spanning the last three seasons. He works well with Sid and Malkin. The alternative to re-signing him is losing him for nothing.

If he was to be dealt it should have been for a haul before this season. Now, you have to re-sign him, as there is pretty much no way you get better than him in free agency at a lower salary. Pittsburgh is also probably the only team Rust is going to give anything like a discount, and we should give him extra years to bring down the cap-hit, taking us into the "whatever" territory that lies just beyond the horizon.

Instead, if you want to change the makeup of the team (and I think we should), you trade someone you can get a return on. Like Kapanen.

I think Wilson is a bit of wet fart, but on this he isn't wrong. IMO.

I mean these are all good points and if you really feel this team is a strong contender the next few years then you sign Rust, sure…I don’t however…here’s the other thing: I think Geno and Letang deserve to return for the next couple years…just on the forward side alone then we have Sid and G and Carter who will be old as the hills…I really don’t want our wings to have age on them too with that group…we should be looking to move out wingers like Rust and Zucker who are 30+ and bring in younger legs…we definitely aren’t going to find a player as good as Rust but who knows…maybe Nylander, Poulin etc gets a shot, maybe we make a trade for some aged 25 winger or less…having cap space might let us be a player for a RFA who’s team can’t qualify him or a team looking to dump a higher salaried younger player…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese