Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread IXIIV: We want a backup goalie right meow

Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Cap situation is a limiting factor. Just don't have cap space here so the roster is filled with play the right way guys who offer limited skills. Reese, Simon, and others are used in a Sully right side of the puck nonsense that somehow that will translated to scoring. Next year Pens have to change it up and get away from the style that just is ineffective in the playoffs. Sully has a system that wears down guys with high energy play becomes a issue in the clutch and grab and interfere playoff hockey. You could see it by the second cup run that the team was gassed and playing on fumes. Want to won the second cup and since then team is simply not close to a cup contender. Sully has to adapt or go.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Man, I sure can't figure out why streaky wingers who got on streaks looked AMAZING in their projected production during a shortened season against terrible competition. A total mystery there.
You're really stretching the word "streak" there when looking at 40 games. Look at his game logs. It was pretty balanced. He was simply our best offensive forward. This year you can use that word, but not last.
Look at his Toronto stats in a 3rd line role. He has always been a good scoring winger. Most wingers are streaky to an extent. It's hard to score in this league. You milk it when you can. Those points don't count for less or contribute to victories less because they happen in condensed periods. If we don't get that Kap hat-trick vs Minnesota we don't get that point.

As for McCann, his stats in Pitt are strong throughout his whole stay, and he's replicating what he did last year now with Seattle.

Two more things. P60 is not projected stats. It's stats relative to usage.
Also you say terrible competition? How was the East Division terrible? Wtf.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Cap situation is a limiting factor. Just don't have cap space here so the roster is filled with play the right way guys who offer limited skills. Reese, Simon, and others are used in a Sully right side of the puck nonsense that somehow that will translated to scoring. Next year Pens have to change it up and get away from the style that just is ineffective in the playoffs. Sully has a system that wears down guys with high energy play becomes a issue in the clutch and grab and interfere playoff hockey. You could see it by the second cup run that the team was gassed and playing on fumes. Want to won the second cup and since then team is simply not close to a cup contender. Sully has to adapt or go.

agree…another big reason we’ll be one and done this playoffs…

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You're really stretching the word "streak" there when looking at 40 games. Look at his game logs. It was pretty balanced. He was simply our best offensive forward. This year you can use that word, but not last.
Look at his Toronto stats in a 3rd line role. He has always been a good scoring winger. Most wingers are streaky to an extent. It's hard to score in this league. You milk it when you can. Those points don't count for less or contribute to victories less because they happen in condensed periods. If we don't get that Kap hat-trick vs Minnesota we don't get that point.

As for McCann, his stats in Pitt are strong throughout his whole stay, and he's replicating what he did last year now with Seattle.

Two more things. P60 is not projected stats. It's stats relative to usage.
Also you say terrible competition? How was the East Division terrible? Wtf.

lol

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
YMMV, but Kap looks severely overcoached to me. Like he's just fighting his instincts, fear of getting benched, and not getting the system this year. He's only really looked great when he's got enough confidence (both in himself, and in the sense that the coaches trust him to play through mistakes) and swagger to just go out and do his thing.

For some reason, we try to "square peg, round hole" a lot of guys. And it just repeatedly doesn't work.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
A bigger reason would be that this is the deepest 8 playoff teams like...ever?

Boston is on pace for 109 points.

nah, we could survive that if we didn’t play the same way in the RS and the POs…a style that’s ineffective against interference and still revolves around GCR trying to score off the rush…Sully hasn’t figured it out yet and we likely don’t have the players for it….as I said before, I don’t think we have a chance of getting out of the first round without Jarry seriously outplaying the opposing goaltender and being locked in

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
nah, we could survive that if we didn’t play the same way in the RS and the POs…a style that’s ineffective against interference and still revolves around GCR trying to score off the rush…Sully hasn’t figured it out yet and we likely don’t have the players for it….as I said before, I don’t think we have a chance of getting out of the first round without Jarry seriously outplaying the opposing goaltender and being locked in
Anyone can beat anyone in this conference. Every round winning starting goalie is gonna have to be strong to get past one of these opponents.

We'll be more successful against teams we match up well against, like Toronto, Florida, Washington imo. They seem to give us more leeway to use our strengths and can't dominate us on the walls.

Teams that know how to counter our system like Boston will be very difficult.

I would say GCR trying to score off the rush is the best move against the defensive fortress teams in the playoffs. Jake and Rust are small and if interference isn't gonna get called like against NYI then better for them to use their creativity in open ice as much as possible. Otherwise they'll get bodied and dispossessed.

It'll be interesting to see how we handle Carolina and NYR here before the RS ends. Two very possible opponents. I think the Rangers rely more on Shesterkin than NYI does with Sorokin/Varlamov. We may have success on the walls against them

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think there are additional explanations besides Sullivan seemingly wanting wingers to fail.

The Penguins play an up-tempo system. It requires all five guys on the ice to not only play fast, but to think fast. Quick reads, quick decisions, quick passes. It's why some defensemen have failed here, too. They couldn't make the reads or they just couldn't keep up.

Because the Penguins play this way, their wingers must be consistent forecheckers. Pushing back against opposing attacks by utilizing intense pressure is how you slow them down when you're not big and physical.

The wingers you've noted as struggling and who have gone on to have some success elsewhere all have a significant deficiency in their games. Kessel is a known mercurial player who avoided contact out of self-preservation. He focused solely on offense, which is fine when he's tearing it up.

Galchenyuk has chased consistency in effort and attention to detail his entire career. It's why his career has absolutely cratered at age 27.

Pearson lacked speed and doesn't have the highest hockey IQ. It's why he's had more success in slower, heavier teams.

Zucker's only issue is his health and production. He's actually been fine, otherwise, and Sullivan has said as much. Zucker is smart, he reads plays well, and he's aggressive on the forecheck. He just can't seem to score and he's now battling a string of injuries.

Kapanen is Galchenyuk. The talent is there. The attention to detail is not. When Kappy is engaged and on-point, he's excellent. When he's frustrated or out of sorts, his game drops significantly.

None of these issues are because of Sullivan. It's who these players are. And all of them have shown these traits with other teams, not just the Pens.

And that is exactly my point. Sullivan wants every player to play the same as GCR instead of working with talent to let them play a game that is successful in the system.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I mean Vancouver looked great with Pearson in the top six for a playoff run.

Yes, of all those wingers, Pearson had one season after he left where he produced like a top 6 winger, then he reverted back to the mean.

I wouldn't call that a great hit rate. On balance, that group simply wasn't capable of being top 6 wingers.

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yes, of all those wingers, Pearson had one season after he left where he produced like a top 6 winger, then he reverted back to the mean.

I wouldn't call that a great hit rate. On balance, that group simply wasn't capable of being top 6 wingers.

Yet Galchenyuk was able to fit a role in both Toronto and Minnesota as a top six winger.

Weren’t you one of the people raging about Sprong and Kahun? Why has this opinion suddenly changed?

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
For some reason, we try to "square peg, round hole" a lot of guys. And it just repeatedly doesn't work.

I'll agree with this but it also just isn't with the Pens.....just seems that way because it's magnified with "our" team and watching them

These coaches have ego's for better or worse and in the most part they've earned it. They are coaching at the highest levels.

I can't really argue with success but some things seem to be blatantly clear.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'll agree with this but it also just isn't with the Pens.....just seems that way because it's magnified with "our" team and watching them

These coaches have ego's for better or worse and in the most part they've earned it. They are coaching at the highest levels.

I can't really argue with success but some things seem to be blatantly clear.

I dunno. I watch a lot of teams, I have never seen a team that spends so many assets on players to “force them” into roles where they clearly are not succeeding versus playing players in a role that they succeed in.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Indeed, proper f***ed this time,
Proper f***ed, Tommy.

maxresdefault.jpg

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I dunno. I watch a lot of teams, I have never seen a team that spends so many assets on players to “force them” into roles where they clearly are not succeeding versus playing players in a role that they succeed in.

You are also looking at one of the busiest teams in last 15 years in FA etc. Moves were made to build a team around 2 generational players. Not all teams can say that so it is definitely amplified here but it happens everywhere

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
You are also looking at one of the busiest teams in last 15 years in FA etc. Moves were made to build a team around 2 generational players. Not all teams can say that so it is definitely amplified here but it happens everywhere

Eh. I just look at not using Zucker on the power play when it its struggling, Zucker and Sid putting up numbers and never seeing each other again. Rust suddenly being a lock with Crosby despite not really doing much at 5v5 with him since coming back and the middle 6 clearly drowning. Etc.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Eh. I just look at not using Zucker on the power play when it its struggling, Zucker and Sid putting up numbers and never seeing each other again. Rust suddenly being a lock with Crosby despite not really doing much at 5v5 with him since coming back and the middle 6 clearly drowning. Etc.

I agree Zucker probably should have received more looks on the powerplay but Rust has been tearing it up on the Powerplay, where does Zucker go?

Injuries suck as well and are unfortunate, anytime we have the opportunity to see something someone else in the top 6 gets hurt, its a revolving door.

I don't know Sully's thoughts and his mindset on why he does/doesn't do thing but he is successful. We can pick away at the bad but the truth is 95% of teams in the NHL would trade off to be in our position year after year.

Reactions: Ryder71
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland