Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: End of an era?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
At this point I have no idea why we don’t just run a 5 forward Powerplay.
Well we couldn't possibly give up more shorthanded chances....right? Right??

GjPQHCA.png

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
He has 46 career PP goals. He has been a regular for 15 years. Thus that equates to 3 PP goals a season. For a guy who gets as much PP time as he gets with the players he has played with for those 15 years I expect a hell of lot more than that.

He is by far one of the best 5v5 producing defenseman I have ever seen. He is just awesome at it. And still is. But he is a mediocre PPQB. Once the PP is setup, I think you could put any decent offensive defenseman in his place and they would produce just as well, if not better if they had a shot from the point.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Dude’s got 40+ Powerplay goals in his career. He can score on the Powerplay.

Great he can do it sub par on another team. Letang is a great player. Close to elite not though. Certainly in the bottom half of point men in the leauge.

If #58 would just be a physical transition defenseman he'd be elite. Instead he chases offense and points and subsequently sabotages a lot of positive aspects of his game.

But I don't have his jersey.

He has 46 career PP goals. He has been a regular for 15 years. Thus that equates to 3 PP goals a season. For a guy who gets as much PP time as he gets with the players he has played with for those 15 years I expect a hell of lot more than that.

He is by far one of the best 5v5 producing defenseman I have ever seen. He is just awesome at it. And still is. But he is a mediocre PPQB. Once the PP is setup, I think you could put any decent offensive defenseman in his place and they would produce just as well, if not better if they had a shot from the point.

This guy gets it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

He’s 12th in Powerplay goals amongst defensemen since he became a # 1 D in 2009-10.

People said this the whole time Schultz was here and he proceeded to have 1 Powerplay goal in three years.

Last edited by a moderator:

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
When you talk X's and O's with the Fire Sullivan people they really disappoint and are often offbase.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was looking through some UFA options the Penguins could pursue if they wanted to sign a PPQB, and I saw that Keith Yandle had 19 points and was a -47 last year. Good god, what happened to him :laugh:

Yandle's analytics painted him as a great PPQB option from a year ago, but he failed miserably in Philly this year:

Also worth throwing out: Schultz is a UFA this year as well.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I was looking through some UFA options the Penguins could pursue if they wanted to sign a PPQB, and I saw that Keith Yandle had 19 points and was a -47 last year. Good god, what happened to him :laugh:

Yandle's analytics painted him as a great PPQB option from a year ago, but he failed miserably in Philly this year:

He's old

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Also worth throwing out: Schultz is a UFA this year as well.

Justin Schultz and his 6 Powerplay goals in his last 300 NHL games is not a PPQB.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
He’s 12th in Powerplay goals amongst defensemen since he became a # 1 D in 2009-10.

People said this the whole time Schultz was here and he proceeded to have 1 Powerplay goal in three years.

How many of those defenseman have been on their teams #1PP without question and getting the time that Letang has received and played on a roster with equivalent talent?

And Shultz did not play on the #1 PP without question for those seasons.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
He doesn't score on the PP. That's the problem. You think he does but the data shows he doesn't.

In the last two seasons, he has 3 PPG. 3! On this team with this talent. 3!

And since someone mentioned Yandle. Not that i would want him anywhere near the Pens. But over hte past two seasons has has 2 PPG and he has been the league pretty much same mount of time as Letang and he has 39 PPG.

Come on man, seriously, look at the production, it hasn't been good enough.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
lol. Here come’s the dumb reasons for why Letang scores on the Powerplay.

Long careers for high offense D men on the PP. I just picked Burns & Karlsson from off top of my head

Brent Burns 5.2 PP goals/82
Kris Letang 4 PP goals/82
Erik Karlsson 3.4 PP goals/82

Over a season it’s not a huge difference.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Pass on Burns and Petry. Actually retool the defense if Letang walks, don't just replace him with another 35+ vet. Trade Petts. Pay for a Klingberg/Manson and actually play POJ next year. Continue to retool when Dumo's contract is up in a year.
Matheson Manson
Dumoulin Marino
Joseph Gudbranson
Friedman Ruhwedel

Reactions: Zbynek

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
He doesn't score on the PP. That's the problem. You think he does but the data shows he doesn't.

In the last two seasons, he has 3 PPG. 3! On this team with this talent. 3!

And since someone mentioned Yandle. Not that i would want him anywhere near the Pens. But over hte past two seasons has has 2 PPG and he has been the league pretty much same mount of time as Letang and he has 39 PPG.

Come on man, seriously, look at the production, it hasn't been good enough.

This guy gets it. And he doesn't need million posts to do so.

No team is afraid of #58's shot so they just cheat to #71's side. And #71 doesn't shoot it through traffic because he's too scared getting it blocked and another short handed goal.

Let's change for the love of god. Or we can just sit around and admire Letangs "amazing slap pass".

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Long careers for high offense D men on the PP. I just picked Burns & Karlsson from off top of my head

Brent Burns 5.2 PP goals/82
Kris Letang 4 PP goals/82
Erik Karlsson 3.4 PP goals/82

Over a season it’s not a huge difference.

Letang does well on PP assists.
17.5 assists/82 games

Karlsson 20.6 assists/82 games
Burns 12.8 assists/82 games

For reference Crosby has 26.4 assists/82 games.

So yeah Letang holds up well against other high end attacking D men around his age on the PP.

Reactions: Gurglesons

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Letang does well on PP assists.
17.5 assists/82 games

Karlsson 20.6 assists/82 games
Burns 12.8 assists/82 games

For reference Crosby has 26.4 assists/82 games.

So yeah Letang holds up well against other high end attacking D men around his age on the PP.

Power Play assists shouldn't be a badge of honor for a point man.

Why are we still overrating a guy that's not going to be on the team anymore?

Great defenseman. Ring of Honor. Not a great power play performer.

Reactions: Pens x

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
...like people gripe about Malkin not shooting enough down the stretch and in the playoffs on the powerplay. Fair. But you actually have to SET UP the shot. Not just expect him to will it to happen. They simply weren't doing that.

But that's probably a whole different topic.
I would suggest that a generational 1C making $9.5mil doesn't need (or rather shouldn't need) meticulous setups by their wings in order to get shots off.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I would suggest that a generational 1C making $9.5mil doesn't need (or rather shouldn't need) meticulous setups by their wings in order to get shots off.

There is always a certain amount of blame that has to be assigned to the player, of course. He needed to shoot more... to find a way.

But I mean... that's just how it works. A powerplay that has a guy on it like Malkin should look to be running the powerplay to set up the shot. They weren't scheming that nearly enough. I don't think that's a stretch at all. I don't care if he's making 10M or 2M... you can't will the puck through shin guards and traffic. Movement and actually putting that last pass in a guy's wheelhouse... not nearly enough of either.

Reactions: Andy99 and Peat

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Matheson Manson
Dumoulin Marino
Joseph Gudbranson
Friedman Ruhwedel
We tried the Gudbranson thing years back. But put Lyubushkin on the 3rd pairing and I'm happy with that lineup.

I see the Penguins are in the Connor Bedard sweepstakes then.

I mean which is it... Letang can only slapshot the puck at goalie chests or without him we become a bottom feeder. I for one am fine with moving on from 58 and trying to retool this defense.

What is your concern exactly? If we get more physical via guys like Manson, Lyubushkin, then Matheson,Marino,POJ can hold their own on moving the puck. Our D isn't that bad, it just needs a new direction. It won't crumble if we don't replace Letang with a 37 year old salary blackhole.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad