Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: End of an era?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think the biggest concern I'd have with replacing Letang with Petry is how you'd replace Letang's special teams impact, because Letang's analytics on both the PP and PK are sparkling while Petry stinks on both the PP and PK. But on the flip side, I think you can very easily make a case that Malkin is the guy that stirs the drink on the Penguins powerplay to begin with, so losing Letang in that role wouldn't be that big of a deal.

For what Letang is at 5v5 at this point, I think you can basically replace him with Petry. I think Letang's PK impact can be replaced easily as well. The biggest thing I think you need is a PPQB for the top unit to replace Letang.

Yeah Petry sucks ass on the Powerplay.

Petry's also 35 (or going to be) years old. We're not getting prime Petry. Non-star players can drop off out of nowhere at his age.

I'd rather not rest our hopes on defense on a low end #1D in his prime being the guy to log the most minutes for us if his play slips even a bit to that of more of a 2D.

I’d rather take a chance on Petry for three years given his size and injury history at a manageable cap hit than Letang with his at 8 million x 5.

If we can get Letang at 7ish x 3, I’d keep him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Petry's also 35 (or going to be) years old. We're not getting prime Petry. Non-star players can drop off out of nowhere at his age.

I'd rather not rest our hopes on defense on a low end #1D in his prime being the guy to log the most minutes for us if his play slips even a bit to that of more of a 2D.

I mean, would retaining Letang really be doing anything differently than this? He's basically a minute eating OFD at this point, his defensive analytics are a trainwreck compared to what they used to be.

Letang is better than Petry, but I think most of the difference comes from special teams at this point. Letang is a great OFD and a great play driver, but his defensive impact has been getting progressively worse over the last few years.

I would pick Letang if the money is decently close, but if Letang's going to need $8m+ to re-sign, I think Petry starts making more sense there.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'd rather chase Burns than Petry ...

I’d be more worried about Burns than Petry tbh.

Dumo - Petry would be a legit 1st pairing 5v5 and if you move Dumo, Matheson would fit well with Petry who has a lot of Ceci’s type of game with better puck moving ability.

Burns you need to insulate at his age and we don’t really have that on LD right now.

That being said you can definitely dump cap to take Burns which is attractive.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The powerplay would definitely be a concern with Petry, though. Say what you want about Letang on the powerplay but he at least gets results. And you know damn well this coaching staff isn't creative enough to NOT put Petry smack dab on the point on PP1 instead of pursuing other options.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The powerplay would definitely be a concern with Petry, though. Say what you want about Letang on the powerplay but he at least gets results. And you know damn well this coaching staff isn't creative enough to NOT put Petry smack dab on the point on PP1 instead of pursuing other options.

At this point I have no idea why we don’t just run a 5 forward Powerplay.

reino

Jul 20, 2019
Would be horrible mistake to trade Marino. He still has lots of untapped potential. Petersson on the other hand is what he is now.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
At this point I have no idea why we don’t just run a 5 forward Powerplay.

I would have tried that years ago. I mean... at least for a game or two.

People gripe about SH chances against but that shit is a regular "feature" of the current setup anyway.

Really Malkin should never have been playing up top to begin with. And Letang, much as I love him, probably shouldn't have the powerplay run through him as much as it does.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
...like people gripe about Malkin not shooting enough down the stretch and in the playoffs on the powerplay. Fair. But you actually have to SET UP the shot. Not just expect him to will it to happen. They simply weren't doing that.

But that's probably a whole different topic.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
Yeah, call me crazy but I don't think Letang is good at running the PP. He can't one time the puck, he won't or can't slapshot the puck from the point, even if he does it has zero pace. And his wrist shot can't hit the broad side of a barn anymore. Teams just play the pass and thus the PP becomes predictable when it gets to him because they know he has zero chance to score on the PP. He is not a threat at all once the PP is setup in the zone.

I do think he is good at carrying the puck, breakout and zone entry.

Reactions: Andy99

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yeah, call me crazy but I don't think Letang is good at running the PP. He can't one time the puck, he won't or can't slapshot the puck from the point, even if he does it has zero pace. And his wrist shot can't hit the broad side of a barn anymore. Teams just play the pass and thus the PP becomes predictable when it gets to him because they know he has zero chance to score on the PP. He is not a threat at all once the PP is setup in the zone.

I mean, this isn’t true. Nobody does slap shots from the point into the net and the Penguins entire offensive set up is about getting tips and deflections once the zone is established which is why Letang is often missing the net when he shoots. It’s on purpose.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Which is also coincidentally what Matheson is good at, with the advantage of a better shot.

If the PP was being run on pure merits, I'd swap them out, but it's pretty clear that Sullivan sees special teams as a perk for vets.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I’d be more worried about Burns than Petry tbh.

Dumo - Petry would be a legit 1st pairing 5v5 and if you move Dumo, Matheson would fit well with Petry who has a lot of Ceci’s type of game with better puck moving ability.

Burns you need to insulate at his age and we don’t really have that on LD right now.

That being said you can definitely dump cap to take Burns which is attractive.

First, I'm figuring Burns comes cheaper. He's also slightly less in real $$$ (though that's probably not as important to FSG). Second, if you're losing Letang and keeping Malkin/Rust/etc. to make use of what's left of the "core" for more runs then Burns is probably more likely to be a difference maker in that regard than Petry. In other words, you're better off praying that Burns rebounds instead of Petry.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
...like people gripe about Malkin not shooting enough down the stretch and in the playoffs on the powerplay. Fair. But you actually have to SET UP the shot. Not just expect him to will it to happen. They simply weren't doing that.

But that's probably a whole different topic.
The whole construction of both the powerplay and PK are baffling and have been for years. I would have thought losing Hornqvist would force them to revamp, but they basically are just trying to will it into being successful and it drives me nuts.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I think the biggest concern I'd have with replacing Letang with Petry is how you'd replace Letang's special teams impact, because Letang's analytics on both the PP and PK are sparkling while Petry stinks on both the PP and PK. But on the flip side, I think you can very easily make a case that Malkin is the guy that stirs the drink on the Penguins powerplay to begin with, so losing Letang in that role wouldn't be that big of a deal.

For what Letang is at 5v5 at this point, I think you can basically replace him with Petry. I think Letang's PK impact can be replaced easily as well. The biggest thing I think you need is a PPQB for the top unit to replace Letang.
Matheson on PP1?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
First, I'm figuring Burns comes cheaper. He's also slightly less in real $$$ (though that's probably not as important to FSG). Second, if you're losing Letang and keeping Malkin/Rust/etc. to make use of what's left of the "core" for more runs then Burns is probably more likely to be a difference maker in that regard than Petry. In other words, you're better off praying that Burns rebounds instead of Petry.

Judging by the comments around Petry here nobody has any idea about him lol

He was a top ten defenseman metrically over the last few years. He’s exactly what this team “needs” on the back end which is responsible defensive play and size.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I mean, this isn’t true. Nobody does slap shots from the point into the net and the Penguins entire offensive set up is about getting tips and deflections once the zone is established which is why Letang is often missing the net when he shoots. It’s on purpose.

This is a ridiculous take. Letang misses on purpose. Its the plan. My god. Galaxy brain.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
Pass on Burns and Petry. Actually retool the defense if Letang walks, don't just replace him with another 35+ vet. Trade Petts. Pay for a Klingberg/Manson and actually play POJ next year. Continue to retool when Dumo's contract is up in a year.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Letang is consistently doing slap passes on the Powerplay like 90% of the league.

He's just doesn't have a good enough shot on the power play IMO. Why does his slap passes miss their passing target?

You're literally moving the goal on this arguement.

Both Letang and Malkin didn't step up when we really needed a power play goal. Time for change.

Letang has an amazing slap pass. He goes for deflections and has for a long time.

You must be stuck in the food/bathroom queues at home games to not see this.

"Amazing Slap Pass"

That's not true. You want it to be true.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Pass on Burns and Petry. Actually retool the defense if Letang walks, don't just replace him with another 35+ vet. Trade Petts. Pay for a Klingberg/Manson and actually play POJ next year. Continue to retool when Dumo's contract is up in a year.
Pass on Burns. I don’t know what his defence is like these days but he used to be brutal.

You’re basically stuck with him too if it doesn’t work out and he likes Pittsburgh as he has a 3 team trade list he’ll go too.

37 & 8 mil for 3 years PASS

He's just doesn't have a good enough shot on the power play IMO. Why does his slap passes miss their passing target?

Both Letang and Malkin didn't step up when we really needed a power play goal. Time for change.

"Amazing Slap Pass"

You hate the Penguins so you want everything to be bad.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

"Amazing Slap Pass"

Dude’s got 40+ Powerplay goals in his career. He can score on the Powerplay.

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad