Salary Cap: Penguins Salary Cap Thread: End of an era?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Genuine question; Aside from ~potential~, is there anything that puts Puljujarvi above E-Rod?

They seem like extremely similar-caliber players. Maybe not in skillset or anything, but just middle-6 dudes. /shrug

Puljujarvi is 6’4. He’s also 24 on one of the worst teams at player development in the league.

Reactions: Jacob

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I thought Poolparty was a super bust but he’s come around to a decent player after coming back to the league. I don’t think he’s better than Erod but if he’s cheaper, then I’d give him a shot.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Puljujarvi when he’s at his best reminds me of Hornqvist, so there’s potential there

Reactions: Jacob

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Didn’t Ol’ Man Sully also say something along the lines of “We still believe that Kappy can be an elite player” at the start of this season?
He said pretty much the same recently too, didn't he?

He loves to pump the tires of his players. That's undeniable. But I genuinely think he sees something in E-Rod nobody else does. Whether it's there or not... Eh. :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He said pretty much the same recently too, didn't he?

He loves to pump the tires of his players. That's undeniable. But I genuinely think he sees something in E-Rod nobody else does. Whether it's there or not... Eh. :laugh:

Rodrigues had 3 goals and 5 points in 7 playoff games for us lol. What a weird take.

Not to mention the whole 19 goals and 40+ pt regular season.

Reactions: Daeni10

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
If we keep Kapanen can we try him on the PK at least (the main area he excelled at in Toronto)or are we scared a slapshot might break our elite 3rd liner’s foot?

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
The most important reason you move on from Kapanen, Rodrigues and Heinen is money. The second most important reason is to inject a different style into your bottom six.

Rodrigues and Heinen were steals at $1 million. Rodrigues will get a sizeable raise, while Heinen has a solid qualifying offer that could be tricky in arbitration. Both can score goals but can also disappear for stretches. You thank them both and let them get paid by others.

Kapanen will make less this year than he did last year. So why not keep him? Better bang for your buck with other players. You can find guys with less of a ceiling but more consistency who are more versatile at the same price that Kapanen will come in at.

Moving on from them does not make them bad players. They're all NHL caliber. They're just not fits for what the Pens need or what the Pens should pay.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I'll say this re: ERod... I'd probably rather have him at 2.2M to play center at this point than Blueger.

Maybe even Carter. Probably not in the balance. But maybe. On days when Carter is out there shrugging his shoulders while the goaltender fishes another puck out of his net yes.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Yep.

You need to always be looking for good value guys like that.

...and then immediately walk away from them when they stop being a value.

Yeah if you want to win a cup you make a few bets on guys like this and hope they all break out when you are making a run. Reliable depth scoring costs you much more than 1 million

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The most important reason you move on from Kapanen, Rodrigues and Heinen is money. The second most important reason is to inject a different style into your bottom six.

Rodrigues and Heinen were steals at $1 million. Rodrigues will get a sizeable raise, while Heinen has a solid qualifying offer that could be tricky in arbitration. Both can score goals but can also disappear for stretches. You thank them both and let them get paid by others.

Kapanen will make less this year than he did last year. So why not keep him? Better bang for your buck with other players. You can find guys with less of a ceiling but more consistency who are more versatile at the same price that Kapanen will come in at.

Moving on from them does not make them bad players. They're all NHL caliber. They're just not fits for what the Pens need or what the Pens should pay.

I am 100% in agreement with this. Unfortunately, these are the types of players the coach wants.

Until/unless that changes, or until/unless someone in management defies the HC and brings in what we really need up front (and to a lesser degree on D), then we will continue to see these types of players all over the lineup.

And then management will come up with a new pile of excuses when we get bounced in the first round next spring...

"this time I really thought we had them."

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Even with his horrible play in the second half of the season, Kapanen still finished the year with 32 points in 79 games. I think Gurianov's contract of 1 year at $2.9 million is pretty much spot on with what Kapanen will get, they produced almost identical totals last year.

Misread the comment about him being a "bang for your buck" player, I totally agree with that. If Kapanen would be coming in at 1 year at $2.5 million, I'd be fine with putting him on the 3rd line with Carter. But that's a pretty decently high risk move, when you could make a much safer move than spending $2.5 million on a guy who forgot how to play hockey in January.

Last edited:

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
If we keep Kapanen can we try him on the PK at least (the main area he excelled at in Toronto)or are we scared a slapshot might break our elite 3rd liner’s foot?
So much this. It might also help his confidence if he’s contributing when not scoring.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Even with his horrible play in the second half of the season, Kapanen still finished the year with 32 points in 79 games. I think Gurianov's contract of 1 year at $2.9 million is pretty much spot on with what Kapanen will get, they produced almost identical totals last year.

Misread the comment about him being a "bang for your buck" player, I totally agree with that. If Kapanen would be coming in at 1 year at $2.5 million, I'd be fine with putting him on the 3rd line with Carter. But that's a pretty decently high risk move, when you could make a much safer move than spending $2.5 million on a guy who forgot how to play hockey in January.

Kapanen wasn’t the only player that forgot how to play hockey in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad