Salary Cap: Penguins salary cap and line up thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Idk how you conclude that :laugh: he's answering a question. The way that question was worded, I don't see how it's a cryptic answer
The same way the resignation of the CEO who handles the business side of the team signals that the roster will be nuked in 2 months.

s571VMI.jpg

Reactions: Beauner

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Yeah Letang and Rust are gone after the year.

Meh oh well.
Rust for sure. Especially with Rakell coming in and being a great fit coinciding with Rust struggling down the stretch.

Still think Geno and Letang are both back, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Letang walked (nor would I care much, tbh).

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Imagine if Rust, Letang, and Malkin all leave over the summer. Quite the cap space but good lord would that roll back team expectations. You could fill it in with existing players and add one or two via FA.

I understand Hextall wanting to be judicious with cap space, contract length, cap hits, etc. And at the end of the day, if Letang and Rust really, really, REALLY want to move on get the money elsewhere, okay. What I would be royally pissed off about is Hextall giving them insulting offers like 2yr deals or $5mil for any of them and not budging, thereby forcing them to seek contracts elsewhere.

That would be unforegivble.

Reactions: Darren McCord

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
If I know anything about Pittsburgh Sports, we'll be able to tell what's going to happen if Sid, Geno, and Letang sit on the bench by themselves after they're eliminated and Sid starts crying.

Reactions: Night Shift

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This team hasn't done enough in the last 4 years for me to particularly give a crap if Hextall decided to go in a different direction. These guys are either looking for gigantic contracts or are on the downslide of their careers. The only way I'd feel bad about those guys going is from an emotional "they should have retired as Penguins" POV.

San Jose let Marleau walk because they weren't willing to give him a 3rd year on his contract, while Toronto was willing to. Toronto then had to pay a 1st to get out of Marleau's contract after the 2nd year. Sometimes the tough decision ends up the correct decision in the long-run when it comes to players of that age.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Imagine if Rust, Letang, and Malkin all leave over the summer. Quite the cap space but good lord would that roll back team expectations. You could fill it in with existing players and add one or two via FA.

I understand Hextall wanting to be judicious with cap space, contract length, cap hits, etc. And at the end of the day, if Letang and Rust really, really, REALLY want to move on get the money elsewhere, okay. What I would be royally pissed off about is Hextall giving them insulting offers like 2yr deals or $5mil for any of them and not budging, thereby forcing them to seek contracts elsewhere.

That would be unforegivble.

Hextall doesn’t call the shots at the end of the day. Burke is still his superior, and they will take direction from ownership whose objectives for this team have not been publicly stated.

I agree that if we lose 3 out of our 4 UFAs that would be unforgivable.

The problem is, while we would have a ton of cap space, there aren’t really many compelling guys to sign. No Dman that’s close to Letang, and the only high end C available (Kadri) will be looking for 7 years. Less risky for us to sign Geno for 3.

Letang has to be priority #1.

The only way for Malkin to not be priority #2 is if we somehow get an even better forward, and there are only 2 available — Forsberg and Gaudreau, although the former will likely re-sign.

Rakell will be cheaper than Rust so if one of the 4 has to go, it should be Rust unless he takes a serious discount (Guentzel contract) that makes it a no brainer.

If we lose more than 2 or more of those 4, good luck attracting any other high end UFAs by selling them on the idea that we’re either a contender or a team on the rise (unlike NJ, BUF, NYR, OTT, LAK, etc.)

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
This team hasn't done enough in the last 4 years for me to particularly give a crap if Hextall decided to go in a different direction. These guys are either looking for gigantic contracts or are on the downslide of their careers. The only way I'd feel bad about those guys going is from an emotional "they should have retired as Penguins" POV.

San Jose let Marleau walk because they weren't willing to give him a 3rd year on his contract, while Toronto was willing to. Toronto then had to pay a 1st to get out of Marleau's contract after the 2nd year. Sometimes the tough decision ends up the correct decision in the long-run when it comes to players of that age.

Marleau did jack for the sharks. Malkin Won 3 cups.

Also he was 38 when he signed that.Malkin will be 36

Malkin has the same points in 40 games that marleau had in 82.

That’s a terrible comparison.

Reactions: Andy99

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Just let 'em walk. This team's already staring down their fourth 1st round exit in a row. It's only gonna get worse, so just rip the band-aid off quick and start the rebuild as opposed to metaphorically hugging your blankey and re-signing these guys because ~legacy~ and sentimental crap. You have no shot at the Cup anymore, so instead of accepting those sweet, sweet 25th overall picks, tank and start stockpiling those top-5 picks.

Team's already mediocre and boring. They got three Cups, some of the most entertaining hockey players I've ever seen. Era was phenomenal, but it's done. Let it go. /shrug

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Marleau did jack for the sharks. Malkin Won 3 cups.

Also he was 38 when he signed that.Malkin will be 36

Malkin has the same points in 40 games that marleau had in 82.

That’s a terrible comparison.

Point 1: Purely emotional
Point 2: Marginal difference
Point 3: I never compared their abilities as players

It's almost like you missed the point entirely.

vyktor

Jan 23, 2008
Have you looked at how tight MTL is to the cap? I don't know how you think they can offer him 8.5-9M.

If they move Petry, that will clear up 6.25, but they also need to re-sign a few key guys this year (Romanov, R. Pitlick) and next year (Caufield).

So I don't think they can really afford to give him more than about $7M per year, same as us. Which, again, is why I keep saying that I believe it will be family reasons that dictate PIT vs MTL vs. elsewhere, as much or more as a financial consideration.
If Price is done, which he most likely is, MTL will know by free agency if he is going to LTIRetire they will have plenty of cap space

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Just let 'em walk. This team's already staring down their fourth 1st round exit in a row. It's only gonna get worse, so just rip the band-aid off quick and start the rebuild as opposed to metaphorically hugging your blankey and re-signing these guys because ~legacy~ and sentimental crap. You have no shot at the Cup anymore, so instead of accepting those sweet, sweet 25th overall picks, tank and start stockpiling those top-5 picks.

Team's already mediocre and boring. They got three Cups, some of the most entertaining hockey players I've ever seen. Era was phenomenal, but it's done. Let it go. /shrug

Name the last team that tank and has turned into a contender? It is not that easy.

3 of the lightnings best 5 players came below pick 19.

The blues have schenn who was a top 5 but they traded for him. Everyone else is lower than pick 16 on their team.

Caps have 2 top 5 picks and everyone else below pick 16.

Getting top 5 picks guarantees you nothing.

Could be another 20 years before we contend. Why rush things?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Point 1: Purely emotional
Point 2: Marginal difference
Point 3: I never compared their abilities as players

It's almost like you missed the point entirely.

How are cups and success emotional? But even if I give you that.

2 years is not marginal for a 3 year contract. It is literally almost the whole contract.

And you cant have this take without talking about their abilities.
If Malkin is still a ppg player at 6-7 mill any team would be dumb to just say nah go somewhere else.

Like I don't get your point. Is it just to change directions for the sake of changing directions? Or do you think Malkin will suck and we will pay a 1rst to move him?

ThosePuckingPenguins

Apr 28, 2009
Pennsylvania
Name the last team that tank and has turned into a contender? It is not that easy.

The blues have schenn who was a top 5 but they traded for him. Everyone else is lower than pick 16 on their team.

The Rangers as of a few years ago. And 20 years is a stretch. The NHL is basically designed at this point so that teams don’t suck for too long (‘parity’ and all that). The longest playoff-less streak right now are the Sabres at 11 years and that’s only because ownership and management are laughably bad.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Letang will get more on the FA market than we can give him. Not a question. Whether it's MON or somewhere else out of the blue. Those guys (even at his age) just don't hit the market that often.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

The alternative is retooling on the fly through trades and FA like somebody like the Rangers have done. Pittsburgh's always been a shit FA destination so that's out of the question. They have no prospects worth a damn, so unless you're shifting Jake for a 1:1--which doesn't really accomplish anything meaningful at this stage--you don't really have assets to land anyone significant.

Why rush things? :laugh: This is the fourth year in a row of reality telling everyone this team's nothing. There's no rush here, it's facing the harsh reality and putting an end to the masquerade.

No argument that picks don't guarantee franchise cornerstones, but that's an awful stance. If that's the concern, why even bother with picks?

Way too much parity in the NHL for teams to be bad for that long. Teams like Buffalo, Ottawa and Arizona suck because they're unimaginably poorly run and nearing intentionally inept--and even then, the Coyotes were in the playoffs a couple seasons ago.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
The Rangers as of a few years ago. And 20 years is a stretch. The NHL is basically designed at this point so that teams don’t suck for too long (‘parity’ and all that). The longest playoff-less streak right now are the Sabres at 11 years and that’s only because ownership and management are laughably bad.

Being a contender is different from making playoffs.
The Rangers are not good because they tanked.

Their best players are
Panarin - signed as a FA
Shesterkin - a 4th round pick
Fox - Gifted to them
Zibanejad - pretty much gifted to them as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad