Recalled/Assigned: Penguins Recall Forward Jayson Megna (recalled 11/22)

Michael8771*

Probably. No point calling up Megna to be the extra forward. Well maybe for tonight just as an insurance but not to sit in the press box regularly. Sill can do that just fine.

Since there's now cap room to play with, would be nice if one of the young kids (Rust, Archibald or Wilson) or someone like Farnham or Uher gets the callup as well so they could sit Adams. But who am I kidding?
Taking Sill out and putting in Megna is a huge step in the right direction. Megna has played well in WB, his call up is well deserved.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Taking Sill out and putting in Megna is a huge step in the right direction. Megna has played well in WB, his call up is well deserved.

Agreed.

My other point was since there's both roster spot and cap room to call up that 23rd player up, would be nice to give someone else a look as well so both Sill and Adams could sit in the press box. There's now roster flexibility to do that. There's now cap flexibility to do that. JR and MJ no longer have the benefit of the doubt when it comes to playing Adams. They had it thus far since there was no other, better options available due to cap situation. But that's no longer the case. If Adams keeps playing, it's because they see him as a top-12 forward in the organisation. That's a problem. Surely someone like Rust, Farnham, Uher etc. deserves a look. Should be no reason to keep Adams' consecutive games streak going on for much longer.

To Adams' credit though, he's played his role decently this year. But he is what he is, a very, very limited hockey player. To put it nicely. Should not be that hard to find an upgrade over him internally.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
There would be no cap room to call up Megna if Dupuis wasn't on LTIR. Atleast that's my understanding of our cap situation.

Oh ok. I went with what the Penguins site said - I thought I remembered that they specifiy LTIR/IR and were up-to-date, but I was wrong it appears.

Hope Megna gets into the game tonight - well deserves call-up.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Oh ok. I went with what the Penguins site said - I thought I remembered that they specifiy LTIR/IR and were up-to-date, but I was wrong it appears.

Hope Megna gets into the game tonight - well deserves call-up.

They don't specify whether it's regular or long-term injury reserve. The team never came out and said Bennett was on LTIR but we all know that was the case since otherwise cap wouldn't have worked early in the season. It's the same case here. Cap wouldn't work without Dupuis' IR-designation being that of a LTIR.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Nice to see Megna get called up, Megna playing and Sill on the bench will make the pens a little bit of a deeper team.

I'd give Megna a shot with Sid, he at least has the speed to play with Sid, but most likely he will end up on the 4th line tonight.

Michael8771*

Nice to see Megna get called up, Megna playing and Sill on the bench will make the pens a little bit of a deeper team.

I'd give Megna a shot with Sid, he at least has the speed to play with Sid, but most likely he will end up on the 4th line tonight.
Exactly, I'd give him a shot with Sid and play Comeau with Goc and DB's stepson.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
So weird having so many right handed options now.
Horny, Bennett, Downie, Comeau, and now maybe Megna.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Last night demonstrated that the Pens are highly susceptible to speed, especially on the forecheck. The primary reason the Pens were territorily successful during the OT was because they only played their faster guys. The slower guys on the 4th line, Scuderi, Bortuzzo, and to an extent Martin struggled against the Islander speed. Such was also the case in the playoffs two years ago. Old legs don't work against them. You saw Kunitz struggle on the back check against Czikas, not for a lack of effort, but rather a lack of speed. Thus, the recall of Megna, and the perplexed nature of why in the hell was Despres a healthy scratch? You have to up your tempo against the Islanders, or else they will kill you with their forecheck.

joeyjake5

Feb 23, 2014
What are the chances that Megna plays tonight or Scuds sits??

SLIM and None. This is the same as Harry sitting and watching!!!!!

The only way Megna plays tonight if some mysterious virus hits one of the Fs.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I like how Downie has played, but a BB Sutter Megna line would wreck some havoc.

I'll just be happy if Megna plays fourth line minutes.

Sill should be sent down, but given where he has come from, he should be proud of himself and how far his heart has taken him.

You moving Downie up?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
You moving Downie up?

I'm not a fan of Downie's skating, so ideally they have the depth at some point to have him on the fourth line. Where he goes now, it's a small matter.

Downie, Spaling and Comeau have all put up some points and played well. I would like to see how Megna does on the third line and if he can hang, eventually run:

Kunitz Crosby Dreamboat Winger
BB Malkin Hornqvist
Megna Sutter Comeau
Spaling Goc Downie

That gives three legit scoring lines and an ideal checking line. The third line would be coming with some over the top speed and be a load to handle. Of course, it's all given on how Megna does.

The bottom six is pretty interchangeable, though. Some may argue the third line needs grit, but Sutter is playing hard this season, Comeau is their grittiest fwd after Downie, and those of us that pay attention know Megna is a huge pest that loves to drink from the goalie's water bottle.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Megna-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Comeau
Downie-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Goc-Adams

Just to change things up. Shake it up!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Megna-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Comeau
Downie-Sutter-Bennett
Spaling-Goc-Adams

Just to change things up. Shake it up!

Spaling and Comeau just scored, doubt MJ demote them.

Let's just be happy if Megna gets a few fourth line shifts tonight.

penguins2946*

I'm hoping for a lineup of:

Kunitz-Crosby-Bennett
Comeau-Malkin-Neal
Spaling-Sutter-Downie
Megna-Goc-Adams

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I'm not a fan of Downie's skating, so ideally they have the depth at some point to have him on the fourth line. Where he goes now, it's a small matter.

Downie, Spaling and Comeau have all put up some points and played well. I would like to see how Megna does on the third line and if he can hang, eventually run:

Kunitz Crosby Dreamboat Winger
BB Malkin Hornqvist
Megna Sutter Comeau
Spaling Goc Downie

That gives three legit scoring lines and an ideal checking line. The third line would be coming with some over the top speed and be a load to handle. Of course, it's all given on how Megna does.

The bottom six is pretty interchangeable, though. Some may argue the third line needs grit, but Sutter is playing hard this season, Comeau is their grittiest fwd after Downie, and those of us that pay attention know Megna is a huge pest that loves to drink from the goalie's water bottle.

Yeah, I was pretty high on Downie being a capable third wheel in the top 6 or at the very least, someone who can move up if need be. Like you said though, his skating isn't there. Sucks b/c watching him with the Avs, he was a damn good player in their top 6 when he was healthy.

I still say their plan is to have Comeau and Spaling in their top 6 as stopgaps and keep the current third line together. As trades are made, they rotate Spaling and Comeau onto the 4th line with Goc. Makes some sense. Even if its extremely frustrating to watch Sid and Geno struggle to produce. Especially after watching them do it all on their own for most of their careers.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I'll just be happy if Goc has one legit player to play with on the 4th line. We can't keep limping along with a fourth line that although not the liability it was last year, still isn't doing anything good out there.

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
They needed to recall Megna. He has 10 goals in 18 games and has been on a hot streak. While I wish he could have received additional seasoning in WBS, this was the right call.

Last edited:

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
What are the chances that Megna plays tonight or Scuds sits??

SLIM and None. This is the same as Harry sitting and watching!!!!!

The only way Megna plays tonight if some mysterious virus hits one of the Fs.

Please no. I can't take anymore 1:00 press conferences.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania
Wherever Megna plays, I want him with Bennett, since they seemed to look good together in WBS. I know that the NHL is a different beast, but if they already have some chemistry, they should try to take advantage of it.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
Wherever Megna plays, I want him with Bennett, since they seemed to look good together in WBS. I know that the NHL is a different beast, but if they already have some chemistry, they should try to take advantage of it.

Megna - Sutter - Bennett

or

Megna - Malkin - Bennett

Profit.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I'd try Downie with Sid before Megna. I don't think speed is key to playing with Sid, he is so adept at finding a trailer after entering the zone. The key is to have the hockey sense to find the spaces so he can hit you with a pass. Based on some of the plays Downie has made I think he would do well. Is he any worse than Guerin was in 09? Also Downie is a good playmaker himself so maybe that would spark Sid's goal scoring. Downie doesn't have great hands but he doesn't misplay the puck much at least. I am a fan of the kind of physicality and intensity he could bring to Sid's line. Opponents would be less likely to run Sid if all they can think about is how much they want to kill Downie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad