Recalled/Assigned: Penguins Recall Forward Jayson Megna (recalled 11/22)

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
NotGonnaHappen.gif

:laugh::cry::cry:

penguins2946*

I really have no idea what the Pens management is doing with these callups.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Cap magic.

At this point, a call-up really doesn't mean anything in terms of whether or not a guy's actually going to play. We should start treating it as such.
Yup. Just trying to maximize the cap dollars as much as possible. There's a slim chance it might add up in some meaningful way by the deadline, so it's worth a shot.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Megna got sent back down.

It had to be a cap thing to bring him up.

WBS was on the road trip for the weekend so they probably just wanted an extra forward around the team just in case. No cap trickery involved here.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
Yup. Just trying to maximize the cap dollars as much as possible. There's a slim chance it might add up in some meaningful way by the deadline, so it's worth a shot.

I don't see how that makes sense. Having Megna around for a few days in no way saved the team cap space. This was in no way same case as was with Kapanen on the opening day.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Pens will most likely call up 2 players today or tomorrow before the road trip, i'm guessing its going to be Harrington and Ebbett.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
I don't see how that makes sense. Having Megna around for a few days in no way saved the team cap space. This was in no way same case as was with Kapanen on the opening day.
It's the same thing they did with Harrington and Ebbett. You need these guys actually around the team in case there's an injury at a morning skate or during warm-ups or whatever. Then when you have two or three days in between games, you send them down, and that's what saves you space.

This time they gave Ebbett a break with the travel and brought up Megna. Didn't need Harrington because Bortuzzo was available.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
It's the same thing they did with Harrington and Ebbett. You need these guys actually around the team in case there's an injury at a morning skate or during warm-ups or whatever. Then when you have two or three days in between games, you send them down, and that's what saves you space.

This time they gave Ebbett a break with the travel and brought up Megna. Didn't need Harrington because Bortuzzo was available.

Yes, that's what I already said. There was no cap trickery involved here with calling him up, just an extra forward around when the farm team was on away trip.

And no sending Ebbett and Harrington, or Megna down, doesn't save cap space. Normally that would be the case but since those callups are only possible due to Bennett being on LTIR (having them around means team goes over the cap), sending them down in off days doesn't even save cap. LTIR isn't something you can save for later use.

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Yes, that's what I already said. There was no cap trickery involved here with calling him up, just an extra forward around when the farm team was on away trip.

And no sending Ebbett and Harrington, or Megna down, doesn't save cap space. Normally that would be the case but since those callups are only possible due to Bennett being on LTIR (having them around means team goes over the cap), sending them down in off days doesn't even save cap. LTIR isn't something you can save for later use.

IIRC, NHL pay is based on how many team games he is up for. NHL cap space is calculated based on actual days. Hence, sending him down for a couple of days saves the team some cap space, but doesn't necessarily cost Megna any pay.

A possible explanation was posted in the GDT.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
An explanation was posted in the GDT.

I already knew that (cap being calculated on daily basis). And that certainly costs Megna pay since he's on two-way deal. When he's on farm, he gets paid per his AHL salary. During the days he's up, he gets NHL salary. Big difference for the player.

And as I said, having Megna around is possible only due to Bennett being on LTIR. There's really no cap savings by having Megna (or Ebbett or Harrington) down in AHL on the off days.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
Now the question is, cap move or not? He has had a pretty good November down in the AHL so far, so maybe we'll see him play.

EDIT: On second thought, Dupers is already on the LITR, right? Then it can't really be a cap move. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I hope that means Sill is out.

Probably. No point calling up Megna to be the extra forward. Well maybe for tonight just as an insurance but not to sit in the press box regularly. Sill can do that just fine.

Since there's now cap room to play with, would be nice if one of the young kids (Rust, Archibald or Wilson) or someone like Farnham or Uher gets the callup as well so they could sit Adams. But who am I kidding?

ProgOg

Aug 25, 2014
Now the question is, cap move or not? He has had a pretty good November down in the AHL so far, so maybe we'll see him play.

EDIT: On second thought, Dupers is already on the LITR, right? Then it can't really be a cap move. I'm cautiously optimistic.

I think Dupuis is only on IR so far.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I like how Downie has played, but a BB Sutter Megna line would wreck some havoc.

I'll just be happy if Megna plays fourth line minutes.

Sill should be sent down, but given where he has come from, he should be proud of himself and how far his heart has taken him.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Cap geek has him on LTIR, so technically Sill can stay up, but I don't see a need when that money can be banked.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Can we actually play someone we bring up this time? Thanks.

If he does, i hope Megna looks good and makes MJ keep him up.

ETA: Also he has 22 NHL games left before he becomes waiver eligible. Just a reminder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad