Recalled/Assigned: Penguins Recall Forward Jayson Megna (recalled 11/22)

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I thought it doesn't matter if they actually dress or not, but rather simply if they're on the team and the team is playing. :dunno:

It's NHL GP and age that determines waiver status. Sill is the one closer to being waiver eligible, which is probably why they're making this move.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
I just checked and WBS has played 9 games, and tonight will be Megna's 10th pro game this season. I remember someone saying he had 10 games before losing his waiver exemption. That would mean after tonight, he would be subject to waivers, which makes this move VERY curious. Can anyone comment on whether this is the case?

The number of games played in AHL is meaningless when it comes to waiver status. Player will not lose his waiver exemption based on any number of games played at AHL level. It's always based on games played in NHL and years since signing his first NHL deal. Megna was waiver exempt to start the season so he will keep that status all year even if the plays in all of WBS' games. He'll only lose it by playing enough games at NHL level to meet the criterion to be waiver eligible (since Capgeek waiver calculator isn't working, don't know the exact number of games he can play this season without becoming waiver eligible).

Also that 10 games limit was probably said in reference to Zach Sill. After clearing waivers (which Sill did), the player will be exempt from waivers until he plays 10 NHL games or spends 30 days with the NHL team. Whichever of those happening first means the player has to again clear waivers in order to be send back to AHL.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yep, Megna's a guy that can still go back and forth. To keep Sill from waivers no doubt.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
I thought it doesn't matter if they actually dress or not, but rather simply if they're on the team and the team is playing. :dunno:

When you clear waivers, there are two cumulative counters started/continued - NHL games played (10) and days on NHL roster (30). Once you hit either of those, you have to go back through waivers before being re-assigned to the AHL. Right now, Sill is at 8 games and 23 days.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Yeah, this would make some serious sense. Bennett´s gonna come back very soon and Sill will be reassigned to WBS possibly because of that. They don´t want to lose Sill on waivers, so if it´s necessary, Megna would serve this purpose of playing instead of Sill until BB is ready to play. Sill can still play one more game and if BB is not ready for the next one, then Megna will probably play it. It´s a Buffalo on Saturday, so playing Megna instead of Sill shouldn´t really matter against that "team".

I guess that's possible, but why would they send Sill down?

Even when BB comes back and all your forwards are healthy Sill is still your 13th forward.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union

Even when BB comes back and all your forwards are healthy Sill is still your 13th forward.
13th forward, yeah. But he wouldn´t be playing games which means his waiver status would be favorable for us. They just want to prevent Sill from playing that 10th NHL game until BB is ready. You never know, trade may come at some point and then Sill would be definitely sent down and we would profit from his waiver status. Not a big deal, but I can see this in it.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
13th forward, yeah. But he wouldn´t be playing games which means his waiver status would be favorable for us. They just want to prevent Sill from playing that 10th NHL game until BB is ready. You never know, trade may come at some point and then Sill would be definitely sent down and we would profit from his waiver status. Not a big deal, but I can see this in it.

Bingo.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

If your right then Sill is basically done with the pens this year after tonight, if they are really that afraid to lose him then they can't call him up for the rest of the year.

Vujtek

Oct 7, 2007
If your right then Sill is basically done with the pens this year after tonight, if they are really that afraid to lose him then they can't call him up for the rest of the year.

Considering they exposed him to unrestricted free agency this summer and after the training camp they exposed him to waivers, somehow I doubt they're all that afraid to lose him. If he's good enough to stay up, they will keep him with the team even if he has to clear waivers again at some point to be sent down. Not really all that big of a deal with a player like Sill.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Considering they exposed him to unrestricted free agency this summer and after the training camp they exposed him to waivers, somehow I doubt they're all that afraid to lose him. If he's good enough to stay up, they will keep him with the team even if he has to clear waivers again at some point to be sent down. Not really all that big of a deal with a player like Sill.

I agree with you, which is why i don't think there are calling up Megna to prevent Sill from waivers.

Shwag33

May 27, 2008
Sill was in no risk of being claimed before the season. Now there's a small chance he'd get picked up. Teams have seen he can play on the 4th line and do a decent job for what he is.

I think this is just a move to prevent putting him through waviers now.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

They are probably just keeping their options open for later in the season. Say Bennett comes back and they bring in another forward in a trade. Now Sill is your 14th guy and you have to send him through waivers. As it stands now, they know what they are getting from Sill and can protect him longer and give a guy like Megs a shot in the NHL.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
They are probably just keeping their options open for later in the season. Say Bennett comes back and they bring in another forward in a trade. Now Sill is your 14th guy and you have to send him through waivers. As it stands now, they know what they are getting from Sill and can protect him longer and give a guy like Megs a shot in the NHL.

I agree with this. It's assest management. Better than being surprised in losing the guy.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Megna is definitely better at hockey than Sill. I'm glad to see them having faith in him despite his quiet showing this year.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
THIS. I came here just to add this. Keeping Sill away from his 10th game for now doesn´t mean he´s done with the Pens for a year. But BB´s comeback is nearing, so if you can protect Sill´s waiver status just a little bit longer (not necessarily forever!) by playing Megna over him against a freaking Sabres team, you should do it. Again, not a big deal, I don´t really care about Sill at all :laugh:

If injuries occur later in a season and you have to play Sill, then so be it, no problem if he loses his waiver status by that. But it´s not reasonable to do it now when the only difference maker between losing that status and protecting it is a Buffalo game.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Megna's fast and is an underrated agitator. I'd rather have him in over a couple of other guys.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
That's not saying much. Going by Megna's stats, he looks very average at the AHL level.;)

And Dumoulin is a better AHL defender than Despres. Doesn't always translate the same way to the NHL.

Megna's fast and is an underrated agitator. I'd rather have him in over a couple of other guys.

Ya I still think he can be a good 3rd or 4th liner thanks to his speed combined with not being a midget.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The new regimes call-ups are a bit weird. Doesn't seem like we ever know the exact reasoning behind the moves.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Sill needs waivers AGAIN? He just cleared waivers on October 6 before the season began, and before we sent him to the ECHL for cap purposes.

Strange that we need to waive him again.

Michael8771*

I wouldn't say definitely. I have been impressed with Sill in the limited minutes he is getting.
He hasn't completely soiled the bed but he's pretty bad. His skillset is awful and he's not apt at making plays with the puck either. He can forecheck and hit people, that's about it. I feel bad for Goc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad