Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign 'the Pride of Brunei' (Craig Adams) (2 Years | 700K AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
Ok smart guy, please explain why you think the Pens will be better next year???

Has nothing to do with being smart. Its about not jumping off the Roberto Clemente bridge every time Shero makes a decision about someone that the rabble feels is unworthy of playing for "their" team

Shero just won GM of the year and put the team in the best position to win a Cup in years, but this place is so ready to fire him for everything. Blysma just got named head coach of team USA but everyone around here flat out wants him dead at this point.

One or two people say that Adams is slow and old and you can see all the sheep around here gathering to jump on board. Adams is making chump change but is now our top PK guy. He's uber solid in that regard, but people are just so used to agreeing with what a few people around here think

Here's an idea to all the mindless donkeys that post here without really knowing much about the game: Formulate your own opinion and post based on that

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
I'm totally fine with Vitale & Adams being 2/3rds of the 4th line as long as Glass isn't the other 3rd.

Exactly how I see it as well. Just don't want Glass and Adams out there at the same time.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Wasn't necessarily a knuckle cracking directed at you, just in general. I just happened to quote yours because of the PKing role (or lack thereof) of the alternatives you offered up...at least you offered up options rather than this mystical unicorn UFA that can kill penalties while offering an offensive game for less than $1 million that seems to be the preference here.

It sometimes feels like this board has about as good of an idea of what a 4th line is meant for as Craig Patrick did. Aside from being an unlikable **** I don't see any Cooke in Lapierre (mostly because he lacks any offensive game (both have played every game over the past two seasons...Adams had 27 points and Lapierre had 29), he's a fourth line penalty killer, and he's known more for diving than hitting) and I've never like Pouliot since he's not good enough offensively to be a top six forward, nor is he defensively sound enough to be a bottom six guy...he's the tweener we tend to hate so much. Given our current third line hole I wouldn't have been against him, mind you, but I'm also not against Dustin Jeffrey finally getting a regular spot on the roster.

For certain, both have major flaws to their game, hence the asking price being so low. Both have obvious assets as well, which is why teams are interested.
Kinda the same with Adams although I doubt a ton of teams were interested.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Has nothing to do with being smart. Its about not jumping off the Roberto Clemente bridge every time Shero makes a decision about someone that the rabble feels is unworthy of playing for "their" team

Shero just won GM of the year and put the team in the best position to win a Cup in years, but this place is so ready to fire him for everything. Blysma just got named head coach of team USA but everyone around here flat out wants him dead at this point.

One or two people say that Adams is slow and old and you can see all the sheep around here gathering to jump on board. Adams is making chump change but is now our top PK guy. He's uber solid in that regard, but people are just so used to agreeing with what a few people around here think

Here's an idea to all the mindless donkeys that post here without really knowing much about the game: Formulate your own opinion and post based on that
What like posting about how Satan, Comrie, Poni, Morrow and Iggy wouldn't be a good fit for Disco hockey? Letting Scuds go for Zib? Going after PMD and then seeing the Pens fail anytime they can't come up the wall? Making so many deadline moves for a team that had good chemistry going?

I could care less about Shero getting a media award and more about his moves post Fletch.

Now the Pens aren't just slow and sloppy but they soft and not overly skilled too.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
What like posting about how Satan, Comrie, Poni, Morrow and Iggy wouldn't be a good fit for Disco hockey? Letting Scuds go for Zib? Going after PMD and then seeing the Pens fail anytime they can't come up the wall? Making so many deadline moves for a team that had good chemistry going?

I could care less about Shero getting a media award and more about his moves post Fletch.

Now the Pens aren't just slow and sloppy but they soft and not overly skilled too.

The Penguins are still one of the best hockey teams in the league.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
He understands his role. Plays within his limitations. Gives an honest effort every time he goes over the boards. For 700k it's not the end of the world.

Pretty much. Don't see the big deal. Kills penalties and still hits defensemen in the corners.

Adams himself is about the least of my worries. But this signing is a perfect microcosm of what I dislike about this off-season.

I still think it can be fine if we make the moves to round out the bottom 6. But to do it properly, Glass needs to be moved. Adams and Glass should never play at the same time without injuries forcing it. Call up Chris Conner if that's what it takes to get Glass to the press box.

Seriously now.

Now the Pens aren't just slow and sloppy but they soft and not overly skilled too

Our team is soft and worse than last year's team on paper.

All because we lost Matt Cooke, Chad Kolarik and Riley Holzapfel? Interesting.

eXile59

Shirts on.
Jan 2, 2009
PA
Pretty much. Don't see the big deal. Kills penalties and still hits defensemen in the corners.

Seriously now.

That's a pretty big loss. Especially since it looks like his replacement will either be DJ, Bennett, or JJ & none of them bring the same physical hard to play against style.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
That's a pretty big loss. Especially since it looks like his replacement will either be DJ, Bennett, or JJ & none of them bring the same physical hard to play against style.

Of course he is, but his loss immediately results in a team that is now, all of a sudden, soft, slow and not overly-skilled? That''s just ridiculous.

Last edited:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site

Seriously now.

No but its slowly been happening since 09. The Pens went to back to back finals with a bunch of cowboys and since then they've had their nuts clipped.

The Pens were called dirty, cried about it and punked out by the rest of the league. What did the Pens think the rest of the league would play nice? They would be liked a little more by Scotty Hartnell, Ovy and Clutterbuck?

Anyone remember Sids first game against the Canucks or Lucic pushing Sid around while saying "what are you going to do about it"?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I don't really mind that they brought Adams back, or anything. It's not like he's expensive and as long as they get Glass off of that 4th line (here's to hoping), he and his line will hold up their end of the bargain ES, for the most part.

What does kind of bug me a bit is all of the "we need him because he's an elite PKer" stuff. Guys... really. That's like me saying I'm an elite garbage-taker-outter or weed-puller, or something. Aside from the fact that there are already plenty of guys who have done it for a while on the team, it's really not some sort of super-specialized role (though this team seems to largely do it that way)... it's mostly about willingness and communication. Even the much-maligned Disco and his staff could "coach" anyone up on the roster to penalty kill and probably be just as "elite" at it as Adams.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No but its slowly been happening since 09. The Pens went to back to back finals with a bunch of cowboys and since then they've had their nuts clipped.

The Pens were called dirty, cried about it and punked out by the rest of the league. What did the Pens think the rest of the league would play nice? They would be liked a little more by Scotty Hartnell, Ovy and Clutterbuck?

Anyone remember Sids first game against the Canucks or Lucic pushing Sid around while saying "what are you going to do about it"?

Ya, if only we had guys like Fedotenko, Satan, Eaton and Sykora around to do nothing about it. Vitale will step up in any situation Talbot would have. Engo is tougher than anyone we had on the Cup team. Despres and Bortuzzo are no slouches. Seriously, who are you talking about other than Cooke? Billy Guerin? Stall? TK? Ya, I think we're fine in that regard.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Exactly how I see it as well. Just don't want Glass and Adams out there at the same time.

So in other words you hate the fourth line, because that's exactly who is going to be out there at the same time.

I don't really mind that they brought Adams back, or anything. It's not like he's expensive and as long as they get Glass off of that 4th line (here's to hoping), he and his line will hold up their end of the bargain ES, for the most part.

What does kind of bug me a bit is all of the "we need him because he's an elite PKer" stuff. Guys... really. That's like me saying I'm an elite garbage-taker-outter or weed-puller, or something. Aside from the fact that there are already plenty of guys who have done it for a while on the team, it's really not some sort of super-specialized role (though this team seems to largely do it that way)... it's mostly about willingness and communication. Even the much-maligned Disco and his staff could "coach" anyone up on the roster to penalty kill and probably be just as "elite" at it as Adams.

But that's just it. Disco doesn't want anyone else killing penalties. He wants 'his boys' doing the job, because in his head it's the most prestigious job in hockey. It's the ONLY job he did in the NHL, after all.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
But that's just it. Disco doesn't want anyone else killing penalties. He wants 'his boys' doing the job, because in his head it's the most prestigious job in hockey. It's the ONLY job he did in the NHL, after all.

I believe this is 100% true. Dan Bylsma sees a guy like Dupuis' PK ability in the same light as Neal's powerplay ability as if its remotely as impressive or hard to find.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
So in other words you hate the fourth line, because that's exactly who is going to be out there at the same time.

I can live a pretty comfortable life only hating the 4th line! They didn't lose the Boston series for us and didn't stop us from being first in the East during the regular season.

To be honest, I'd prefer Harry Z in the lineup over one of Glass/Adams, just for the speed factor. But again, not losing any sleep over here.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

So the reason the Pens will be better is that some dumb sports writers voted him GM of the year. Those same brilliant writers said the Morrow trade was genius, I called it awful. That's not hindsight, that was foresight on my part. Something our gm doesn't have. He is slowly Killing the future of the Pens, bad drafting, bad trades and bad contracts.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA
So the reason the Pens will be better is that some dumb sports writers voted him GM of the year. Those same brilliant writers said the Morrow trade was genius, I called it awful. That's not hindsight, that was foresight on my part. Something our gm doesn't have. He is slowly Killing the future of the Pens, bad drafting, bad trades and bad contracts.

Don't get carried away with yourself. Very few people were supportive of that deal.

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary

I like where your head is at. This sounds like original thinking, which is nearly extinct around here

Keep up the good work...seriously

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Don't get carried away with yourself. Very few people were supportive of that deal.
I'm not patting myself on the back. My point is if it was obviously a bad trade to allot of us, and our gm thought it was a great trade, this should give us all the willies about any of the decision making of our gm.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I'm not patting myself on the back. My point is if it was obviously a bad trade to allot of us, and our gm thought it was a great trade, this should give us all the willies about any of the decision making of our gm.

how do you know that? Maybe he was reluctant to do it but felt the team needed that extra bit of whatever it is he thought Morrow brought. We thought it was bad. He may have well thought it was a big risk that could turn out badly. You are seriously just making **** up.

Lomez

Too Awesome for Top 100
Mar 29, 2009
PGH, PA

So, the Morrow deal (which was simply the calculated risk good GMs make on occasion) has caused you to dismiss everything RS has done prior and every deal he will make in perpetuity? Get a grip lad.

Coastal Kev

Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
So, the Morrow deal (which was simply the calculated risk good GMs make on occasion) has caused you to dismiss everything RS has done prior and every deal he will make in perpetuity? Get a grip lad.

It's just one example. How has Shero done with drafting or developing young talent??? What grade would give him in this area?? Lets look at that go around of trades last year. Iggy trade, fail. Morrow trade, fail. Murray trade, decent.
The Pens have no young forwards in their system that show any promise other than Beau. The young D that everyone is talking about are so far away, it's hard to judge if any of these picks are solid.
He just re-signed Duper, Adams, Scuds and Kunitz, they are all mid 30's. There isn't any chance of any of them getting better, they can only get worse and will. If these guys were signed for one season, I could deal with it. But this isn't football, these contracts are here to stay. If Crosby or Malkin go down for any time the next four seasons, and history says they will, the Pens will struggle to be a playoff team.

wgknestrick

Aug 14, 2012
Adams - Glass - Zonnnerchuck (I refuse to spell his name correctly)

Do the Pens get a prize for assembling the worst line in the history of the NHL?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Because they got lucky in the draft a few years ago.

okay. I was responding to him claiming we are slow, sloppy and not overly talented. Yet we have essentially the same roster that started last year. Replace Tangradi, Cooke and TK with Bennett, Jussi and Jeffrey. And upgrade the defense with Scuderi no matter who we end up moving out. That roster managed to get us to a very comfortable first in the east.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad