Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign 'the Pride of Brunei' (Craig Adams) (2 Years | 700K AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detective 45

Jun 22, 2010
Indiana, PA
Hey this is just a thought, but do you think the Pens organization see Adams as somebody who could join the staff once he's done with his playing career as a possible coach of some sort? We all know how intelligent the guy is off the ice of course but his skillset it probably something HCDB values a lot.

I was watching TSN earlier and they were talking about how Alfredsson leaving the Sens hurt because they saw him as somebody who could stay with the organization after he retired. Maybe the Pens went out of their way to keep him with the team because they see him as somebody who could bring something to the club after he's done. Just a thought..

PKV Jungle Friends

Not Growing a Garden
Feb 17, 2007
The Sanctuary
I seriously do not want Adams here anymore. Please get NEW BLOOD so they can do something new for us.

Who do you have in mind for "new blood", Cole?

You talking about bringing in someone else via FA or going with one of the curtain jerkers that we already have? (Jeffrey, etc.)

Right now, I see this:

Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
BB-Geno-Neal
Juice-Sutter-?
Glass-JV-Adams

Do we really want Jeffrey in that 3rd line role? I think that this is the next thing that needs to be addressed, but thankfully there is plenty of time to do so.

I'm thinking (like so many others) that Niskanen for a 3rd line winger makes the most sense.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I doubt any rational person could argue that this is anything but an okay deal. The money's fine; The risk is low for a retirement in the next couple of years; he's far from the reason why the Pens have at times stunk the playoffs up over the past 3 years or so; decent enough 4th liner and good PKer.

Cool.

Yeah. Adams is a fantastic PK guy, and that's even more important to maintain with Cooke's departure (not that other guys aren't necessarily capable, and we need to try others in that role, like Jeffrey/Vitale), and he is good to have out there either late in the game or for defensive zone face-offs as a 2nd centremen in case the main guy gets tossed. He won't hurt our team, and I like his physicality.

The key thing for me is: as long as he (hopefully) bumps Glass out of the line-up, and even more importantly, Jeffrey AND Vitale get their chance to play every night (just like Elmer & Bort on the back end), I have no problem with Adams being in the line-up on the 4th line. Like you, I don't see how anyone would have this issue at that price. Low risk indeed.

Cardboard Orpik

Out 4-6 Weeks
Jun 18, 2011
I'm fine with this given the cap situation this year. For 700k we know we're at least getting a PK beast. There aren't a lot of other great options out there at that price right now.

That said, I hope Shero beefs out the bottom six some more with some trades. It's looking pretty terrible right now.

KHstrike

Apr 23, 2012
Once they signed Scuderi I figured this would happen. A reliable PKer who will block any shot and knows the system for 700k is acceptable. To really fit under the cap with a bit of space you would need to save any money you could and you do that here as opposed to signing ANY free agent.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
The Pens have the biggest donk hockey fanbase in the NHL. As a collective we hate everyone and everything...haha

Adams is a solid PK guy that barely plays outside of that. Everyone calm down. He's making 700K, which is hardly breaking the bank and he sells out on every PK chance

The board is an embarrassment at times
Ok smart guy, please explain why you think the Pens will be better next year???

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
He understands his role. Plays within his limitations. Gives an honest effort every time he goes over the boards. For 700k it's not the end of the world.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
The strange thing is, I dont like this deal because of his 'on ice' value, but because of its cap value.
He is what he is. A pretty ok fourth liner who can kill penalties decently.
It gives us another NHL body to fill out the roster and the cap hit is really solid for a team who needs a few more bodies and has very little cap room.

However, I would have really liked to go after Benoit Pouliout or Max Lapierre. Both signed for cheap (1.1 and 1.3 if I recall), both are younger and I think could eat a few more minutes than Adams.
Also, with the loss of Cooke, Lappy wouldve given us a guy who is a pain in the ass to play against.
This team simply seems to lack that element.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I dont mind us signing Adams. But seeing as hes a black hole on defense we really could use some other than Glass as his wingman. We could make due with 1 player who cant score to save their lives, but having both Adams and Glass on the 4th line means we will never, ever get a goal chiped in by the 4th line.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
The strange thing is, I dont like this deal because of his 'on ice' value, but because of its cap value.
He is what he is. A pretty ok fourth liner who can kill penalties decently.
It gives us another NHL body to fill out the roster and the cap hit is really solid for a team who needs a few more bodies and has very little cap room.

However, I would have really liked to go after Benoit Pouliout or Max Lapierre. Both signed for cheap (1.1 and 1.3 if I recall), both are younger and I think could eat a few more minutes than Adams.
Also, with the loss of Cooke, Lappy wouldve given us a guy who is a pain in the ass to play against.
This team simply seems to lack that element.

*cracks knuckles*

Benoit Pouliot killed 53 seconds of penalties last year. Not per game, all year. Max Lapierre ranked 7th amongst Canucks forwards in penalty killing time last season.

Adams is a penalty killer. He is used properly in that role (30th out of 30 in ESTOI and it wasn't even close) and he is good at it. I don't know why this board wants us to have a 75% penalty kill so badly.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
*cracks knuckles*

Benoit Pouliot killed 53 seconds of penalties last year. Not per game, all year. Max Lapierre ranked 7th amongst Canucks forwards in penalty killing time last season.

Adams is a penalty killer. He is used properly in that role (30th out of 30 in ESTOI and it wasn't even close) and he is good at it. I don't know why this board wants us to have a 75% penalty kill so badly.

Cracks em right back.

I dont have a problem with this signing brutha.
I even said that he is a decent PKer.
And Im not arguing that either of the guys I wanted to sign are better at it than Adams.
Still, both are better players than Adams, and in the case of Lapierre, would cheaply bring the element right back which we lost in Cooke.
These are simply two guys whom I would've liked to see on this teams bottom six for a relatively cheap price.
They signed elsewhere. We signed Adams. Im cool with it.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Wasn't necessarily a knuckle cracking directed at you, just in general. I just happened to quote yours because of the PKing role (or lack thereof) of the alternatives you offered up...at least you offered up options rather than this mystical unicorn UFA that can kill penalties while offering an offensive game for less than $1 million that seems to be the preference here.

It sometimes feels like this board has about as good of an idea of what a 4th line is meant for as Craig Patrick did. Aside from being an unlikable **** I don't see any Cooke in Lapierre (mostly because he lacks any offensive game (both have played every game over the past two seasons...Adams had 27 points and Lapierre had 29), he's a fourth line penalty killer, and he's known more for diving than hitting) and I've never like Pouliot since he's not good enough offensively to be a top six forward, nor is he defensively sound enough to be a bottom six guy...he's the tweener we tend to hate so much. Given our current third line hole I wouldn't have been against him, mind you, but I'm also not against Dustin Jeffrey finally getting a regular spot on the roster.

Last edited:

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Well, no problem here, one of our best PKers for 700k, can play some 4th line minutes without score own goals, I'm fine.
I think he was quite good last year in his role, and for sure he wasn't a problem like Glass ...

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Well, no problem here, one of our best PKers for 700k, can play some 4th line minutes without score own goals, I'm fine.
I think he was quite good last year in his role, and for sure he wasn't a problem like Glass ...

In isolation there is no problem in having Adams at 700k. Less so as we no longer really have any issue where deserving young players are blocked. I just HATE a 4th line with him and Glass both on it.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think we were all expecting him to sign, wishing he wouldn't because most here can't stand him when he has a chance to score and he flubs it regularly, but PK wise, he's a huge asset there and the PK was very crappy last year, losing another cog there would suck.

I hope he can start working with guys like Jeffrey, Vitale, and others to be better penalty killers. I don't like Adams on the Pens, but I can see why he was brought back.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yup... soft, slow and sloppy is no way to go through a season.

But we're a family, dude!

Who cares if we don't play anywhere near where we should and our coach/GM do idiotic things? Pool party at coach Dan's!

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Our team is soft and worse than last year's team on paper.

You can never compare the team on opening night with a team where the GM went all-in at the deadline. Are we worse than on opening night in the 12/13 season? Hardly.

Bennett, Despres and Bortuzzo should all be better/more significant contributors, and whereas Cooke will be missed, in many ways Jokinen is the better player.
What is however obvious is that it is costly blowing significant assets at the deadline if players don't pan out/re-sign. I blame Bylsma a lot here also, but still, Shero really struck out. For a GM, results offer the only yard stick of import.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Who is mad about the contract? I haven't seen one person say they are mad about the contract. But go on, keep fighting the ghosts of HFBoards.

I've seen plenty of posts questioning the term and the fact that he got a raise. Maybe not on here, but by Pens fans on the free agency board, which is where I posted that, and decided to share it here.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Adams himself is about the least of my worries. But this signing is a perfect microcosm of what I dislike about this off-season.

I still think it can be fine if we make the moves to round out the bottom 6. But to do it properly, Glass needs to be moved. Adams and Glass should never play at the same time without injuries forcing it. Call up Chris Conner if that's what it takes to get Glass to the press box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad