Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Derrick Pouliot (1 yr/$800k) and Josh Archibald (2 yrs/$675k per)

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Pouliot is in a weird spot. You don't see guys with his talent level and hockey IQ fail like Pouliot has too often IMO. I don't think he has a conditioning problem either, he was apparently in really good shape last year. It's pretty unusual.

I don't know what Pouliot's ceiling is here, but I definitely can't see him reaching it here.

I think at this point we really have to question his hockey IQ. A lot. Maybe send him to a sports psychologist if he's not dumb af, idk.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Pouliot is in a weird spot. You don't see guys with his talent level and hockey IQ fail like Pouliot has too often IMO. I don't think he has a conditioning problem either, he was apparently in really good shape last year. It's pretty unusual.

I don't know what Pouliot's ceiling is here, but I definitely can't see him reaching it here.

He'd be better off on a team with less depth, lower expectations and that's willing to just ride him through the mistakes. I'm not sure where that'd be.. maybe Arizona or Colorado.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hopefully we see some more of Archibald this year. Pouliot....man, he really has to take a step forward. Gonch, work your magic, please.

That's a nice thought.

I do sometimes think people are overreacting to Pouliot's last season. He was fine 2015-16. People were worrying about Vegas thinking of him as a guy for the expansion draft. Last season is about as bad as it gets but do prospects never have bad seasons then bounce back?

But then I think maybe its a confidence/system thing and those aren't really going away.

I'm happy to trust the management with whatever they want to do with him but my gut says he busts if we keep him and he puts it together if we move him. He's got it but sometimes players need a fresh start.

But maybe they tell Gonchar he's the new project and he puts it together under his tutelage. That would be nice. If he can find the magic "NHL player" button, that would be a pretty big boost to our defence depth and puck moving capabilities.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think at this point we really have to question his hockey IQ. A lot. Maybe send him to a sports psychologist if he's not dumb af, idk.

I really don't see his issue being that he's a dumb hockey player. I think you could say he doesn't think the game at the NHL speed, but I don't think that means he's a dumb player. I think his lack of urgency is what hurts him, what he did in juniors and AHL with controlling the game at his speed won't work in the NHL and he really hasn't gotten a chance to learn how to play in the NHL yet.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Well, look at how hard people are on Maatta, now compare him to Pouliot....honestly....there's not a whole lot to like.

I don't dislike him, but I would be surprised to learn that he's any good at hockey :laugh: Here's hoping for the best

Pouliot doesn't make 4 mil per either...

He's a 23 year old defenseman that had a lot of junior and AHL success before this past year, and hasn't become an NHL regular yet. He's also the same age our new prospects ZAR and Johnson, neither of which has done any more than Pouliot but both seem to be much better regarded here. He might not make it, but I don't know why people would look at him like a lost cause because he hasn't made it by 23 but the other 2 as full of promise. Familiarity breeds contempt I guess. :laugh:

I think sometimes this franchise's track record with developing great young players very quickly has clouded the fact that a lot of prospects - even highly drafted ones - take longer and don't always make linear progressions. Pouliot having seemingly been on the cusp forever has soured a lot of people on him totally, by the looks of it.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I keep saying 23 is young for a dman... every fanbase bails on these guys way too quickly.. Whitney, Gogo, Nisky, Cole, Shultz, i mean there are tons of examples of guys who don't catch on till they are in their mid 20's... its a totally different game at the NHL level ... and it can take years to adjust

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.

He's a 23 year old defenseman that had a lot of junior and AHL success before this past year, and hasn't become an NHL regular yet. He's also the same age our new prospects ZAR and Johnson, neither of which has done any more than Pouliot but both seem to be much better regarded here. He might not make it, but I don't know why people would look at him like a lost cause because he hasn't made it by 23 but the other 2 as full of promise. Familiarity breeds contempt I guess. :laugh:

I think sometimes this franchise's track record with developing great young players very quickly has clouded the fact that a lot of prospects - even highly drafted ones - take longer and don't always make linear progressions. Pouliot having seemingly been on the cusp forever has soured a lot of people on him totally, by the looks of it.

While I don't entirely disagree with you, ZAR and Johnson were free agent signings, Pouliot was a questionable 8th overall pick. Sure, he could put it all together but he could very well be a complete bust. He's looking more and more like the latter. There's no denying that more is expected out of Pouliot considering where he was drafted.

Maatta also got that contract for a reason. His highs at the NHL level are something Pouliot simply hasn't even shown glimpses of yet. He played great during the olympics and has been a top 4 defensemen on a cup winning team...twice. Yes, Maatta's skating is hard to watch at times and he's struggled lately. He's also responded very well whenever he's been benched. Poo hasn't responded well lately. He could turn it around and I sure as hell hope he does but I'm not going to put my head in the sand and think everything is right on track. I don't care if he makes mistakes. I just want to see something from him that shows he belongs in the NHL.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I really don't see his issue being that he's a dumb hockey player. I think you could say he doesn't think the game at the NHL speed, but I don't think that means he's a dumb player. I think his lack of urgency is what hurts him, what he did in juniors and AHL with controlling the game at his speed won't work in the NHL and he really hasn't gotten a chance to learn how to play in the NHL yet.

If he can't think at an NHL level then he's relatively stupid and he definitely doesn't have a noteworthy hockey IQ. I think there's a vicious cycle of it right now. He's not smart enough to not be urgent or not be crazy fast, he's not fast enough to be stupid or lack urgency and he lacks the urgency to make up for his IQ and speed. And I'm not saying he's a snail but he's not a burner and it's compounding other problems. Maybe more NHL experience helps with the apparent IQ problem but his lows are prohibitive to that happening and we've seen a tendency to spiral when things go badly develop.

Maybe a slower system would help with the decision making because the best he looked offensively and in transition was with Johnston's boring travesty.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I still have some faith in Pouliot, and I am glad he signed quickly and took a prove-it contract.

He could really upset the apple cart (in a good way) if he has an outstanding training camp.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
His longest run of games in the NHL was 7 last season. Whatever he was last season, he didn't play enough games in the NHL to judge it. Dumoulin didn't make the NHL until 23. If Pouliot can't make it as a 3rd pairing guy next to someone capable with consistent minutes over a longer time period, then I'll start worrying.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
While I don't entirely disagree with you, ZAR and Johnson were free agent signings, Pouliot was a questionable 8th overall pick. Sure, he could put it all together but he could very well be a complete bust. He's looking more and more like the latter. There's no denying that more is expected out of Pouliot considering where he was drafted.

Maatta also got that contract for a reason. His highs at the NHL level are something Pouliot simply hasn't even shown glimpses of yet. He played great during the olympics and has been a top 4 defensemen on a cup winning team...twice. Yes, Maatta's skating is hard to watch at times and he's struggled lately. He's also responded very well whenever he's been benched. Poo hasn't responded well lately. He could turn it around and I sure as hell hope he does but I'm not going to put my head in the sand and think everything is right on track. I don't care if he makes mistakes. I just want to see something from him that shows he belongs in the NHL.

It's ironic that people will focus on Pouliot, because without question 2012 was probably Shero's best year in the draft.

I also think "draft position" is way overblown. If we never had our eyes on Forsberg, why do we lament the fact that we didn't acquire him?

I can't wait for the *****ing that is going to come if Kostin turns into a top six winger..

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Even if Pouliot has an outstanding training camp, which of Dumoulin, Maatta, Cole or Hunwick is he playing over? They seem to have no interest in putting him on the right side and there's at least four guys in front of him. He could play like Erik Karlsson and still be a healthy scratch just because they're not going to put those salaries on the bench for long.

He won't clear waivers, but he'll depreciate even more if he waits on the bench with Ruhwedel for someone to get injured. The team really needs to move him for whatever they can get before it's nothing.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Make or break time for Pouliot. Time to see whether or not he's able to be an NHLer or if he's just a bust.

Hoping for success, but doubting it highly. Prove me wrong, Pouliot.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
It's still not too late for Pouliot to turn his career around. I'm not holding my breath for it to happen but it is possible.

Archie is NHL material, imo. We have a lot of depth wingers now though. I'd imagine one of them may get thrown into a deal for our #3 center. Makes sense too when you consider we may deal with a cap challenged team that will probably need a cheap forward thrown in to fill out their own depth and we have numerous cheap depth guys to chose from now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Even if Pouliot has an outstanding training camp, which of Dumoulin, Maatta, Cole or Hunwick is he playing over? They seem to have no interest in putting him on the right side and there's at least four guys in front of him. He could play like Erik Karlsson and still be a healthy scratch just because they're not going to put those salaries on the bench for long.

He won't clear waivers, but he'll depreciate even more if he waits on the bench with Ruhwedel for someone to get injured. The team really needs to move him for whatever they can get before it's nothing.

Hunwick and Cole can "effectively" play both sides. If one of our top four go down with injury (which they will) we can hope Pouliot will be the first called upon.

It is kind of weird that we have both Pooh and Ruh though.

BlacknGold4life

Sep 22, 2014
I keep saying 23 is young for a dman... every fanbase bails on these guys way too quickly.. Whitney, Gogo, Nisky, Cole, Shultz, i mean there are tons of examples of guys who don't catch on till they are in their mid 20's... its a totally different game at the NHL level ... and it can take years to adjust

Whitney was at the perfect time

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Most of those guys, whilst not established stars and certainly experiencing their ups and downs, were still pretty firmly entrenched in the NHL by 23. All but Cole only needed a season and a half or less in the AHL. I don't think Pouliot compares.

Last season was a golden opportunity for Penguins organizational defensemen with long-term injuries on the parent club creating opportunities. Ruhwedel seized one of them. Pouliot on the other hand dropped back to about 11th on the depth chart.

Adjusting is one thing, but you need to be actually developing and improving. I don't know how anyone, with their most optimistic hat on, could say Pouliot's trajectory to becoming a NHL defenseman is moving in a positive direction at all. I feel he's going to need to buck the trend in a seriously shocking way to make it, at least in this org.

Last edited:

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
It's still not too late for Pouliot to turn his career around. I'm not holding my breath for it to happen but it is possible.

to echo the sentiment, you hear about a lot of emerging d-men called young around the league but it turns out their like 24 or 25. i'm thinking of the Kings in particular: Paul Ladue, Derek Forbort and Kevin Gravel. those guys are all 24 and didn't really have an NHL impact until this last season. or Colin Miller who played half a season at 23 and a full one at 24. Or Nate Schmidt (half a season at 23, full seasons from then on). feel like all these players were referred to as young d-men this season on hfboards.

idk if it'll happen for Pouliot. but his emergence is still possible i think.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

The biggest problem is development and shoving a circle peg in a square hole. You have to identify their strengths and play to them, you can't just fix your deficiencies over night, it takes time to make them less of a problem while making your strengths a greater asset. A guy like Pouliot, in his own mind, is trying to be something he isn't instead of being what he was drafted for, you see it in his game and he looks disengaged and confused in the NHL, but in the AHL he knows what he should be. I hope Sarge works with him closely and just tells him, do you, it's what got you drafted.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

my thing is, we've seen a lot of Pouliot. Not enough to say he's complete or anything, but enough that we should be seeing more signs of what we want him to become. This past year, he was just plain awful. I'm not sure he made a single play this year that gave me hope of what he could become. He hasn't looked like a guy on the cusp of making the NHL, he looked like a guy who had no business playing in the NHL. Two years ago he was seemingly getting there though, so who knows. So the difference between ZAR and Johnson and DP is that with those guys, we only have the lower level success to judge them on. With DP, we have watched him suck in the NHL.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He was terrible for all but 1 game, that final game, he was actually fun to watch and as a massive Pouliot hater, even I couldn't deny that he does have what it takes if he can do that on a consistent basis.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
The biggest problem is development and shoving a circle peg in a square hole. You have to identify their strengths and play to them, you can't just fix your deficiencies over night, it takes time to make them less of a problem while making your strengths a greater asset. A guy like Pouliot, in his own mind, is trying to be something he isn't instead of being what he was drafted for, you see it in his game and he looks disengaged and confused in the NHL, but in the AHL he knows what he should be. I hope Sarge works with him closely and just tells him, do you, it's what got you drafted.

Agreed entirely. He needs to come in and show the offense he was drafted for, even if he makes too many mistakes on D. I'd rather him start from a comfortable spot and build from there.

He was terrible for all but 1 game, that final game, he was actually fun to watch and as a massive Pouliot hater, even I couldn't deny that he does have what it takes if he can do that on a consistent basis.

When was this? I must have missed that :laugh: If I replay my Pouliot highlight reel from this season, it is just a series of replays showing completely undefended guys scoring goals followed by DP drifting into the picture shortly after :laugh:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
It may actually help Pouliot being with the big club this year, even if he's not playing. He's clearly spent a good amount of time and done well in the AHL (when he wasn't just killing time waiting for his next callup). Now that we have Sarge full time, DP should get plenty of attention. Heck, I'm hopeful. We've got nothing to lose in working with the kid.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Agreed entirely. He needs to come in and show the offense he was drafted for, even if he makes too many mistakes on D. I'd rather him start from a comfortable spot and build from there.

When was this? I must have missed that :laugh: If I replay my Pouliot highlight reel from this season, it is just a series of replays showing completely undefended guys scoring goals followed by DP drifting into the picture shortly after :laugh:

I think it was against the Rangers, where they played basically 80% of the WBS Pens vs the Rangers. Jarry started that game and Pouliot was a beast for that game, I sat there in anger as I've largely just hated on the guy for never showing any signs of life every time he's been up and there it was, he was playing like he should have been all along, in ****ing Game 82. Like, seriously?

Rangers barely beat the WBS Penguins.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Pouliot at that price is worth a gamble in that he can turn it around. It's not like we have a lot of other young guys. Corrado and Taylor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad