Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Derrick Pouliot (1 yr/$800k) and Josh Archibald (2 yrs/$675k per)

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Let's face reality... he does not have any value. The best value he has is to figure out his game and make himself an NHL player this year. He'll need a little luck and a lot of passion/heart.

A team would take a swing at him. He has enough pedigree to still get by on it. What do they have to lose? He has to be on the NHL roster...whether he's playing or he's the #7.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
A team would take a swing at him. He has enough pedigree to still get by on it. What do they have to lose? He has to be on the NHL roster...whether he's playing or he's the #7.

And they'll do that on waivers or by passing like a 5th round pick to offer. But that doesnt' mean he has value.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Does he really have any more value at this point than Ryan Murphy? Similar offensive D-man out of junior, first round pick, who simply never found his game at the NHL level. Acquired by Calgary from Carolina, who then promptly bought him out.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
As much as I hate Pouliot, I think Gonchar taking a more prominent role is going to be very good for Pouliot this next season. I think Pouliot actually steals a spot away from Ruhwedel.

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh
Well this is definitely put up or shut up time for him. One way deal almost for a mil for the year. Either he shows something or gets dumped for a pick or packaged in a deal.

Disappointing but the NHL draft is full of 1st rounders who never made it. As mentioned earlier though considering who else was available at the time makes this sting more. Curious if the pick was all Shero or who else was involved.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office

And they'll do that on waivers or by passing like a 5th round pick to offer. But that doesnt' mean he has value.

Yep, at this point he has fallen enough in value its just better to let him figure his game out here or just let him bust out. The time to trade him for any level of a return that would hold value would've been before last season. At this point what do we get a C or D Level Prospect and/or a pick from the last two rounds?

No thanks, just let him figure or not figure it out here.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Can Hunwick play RD? Because like Dumoulin, Pouliot is MUCH better on the left side.

Hunwick can play both sides, he has played both sides on numerous occasions with the Bruins, Avs, and Leafs. He's a solid 3rd pairing guy and he's versatile, he sort of becomes what his pairing needs, I actually wouldn't mind seeing him with Pouliot, but there's a glut of defensemen fighting for non-existent spots.

I feel like JR and Sully have their regulars, people are just auditioning for the #7 call up.

Likely scenario:

Dumoulin, Letang
Maatta, Schultz
Cole, Hunwick

There's a likelihood Maatta and Dumo switch spots, but it looks like that much is set, given what Hunwick is making, he's not there to be a passenger. Which I don't mind really, the Pens are mobile for the most part, question mark being Maatta and just how hard he is working on his skating and less passing out on loungers on balconies.

I think Ruhwedel and Pouliot are guys fighting for #7, but really, one is a RD and the other is LD, so they're not really competing, but just proving they continue to belong in Ruhwedel's case and in Pouliot's, that he can belong.

But the stealing a spot comment is due to Hunwick being able to play LD/RD, depending on who impresses more, if the Pens were to look at moving a D, they have options. People are so dead set on us being doomed, I'm more curious as to what happens out of the D if Maatta for example, is moved with no D replacement besides having Pouliot vs Ruhwedel.

I'm curious about the what if's...

What if Maatta is moved for an amazing 3C that isn't Duchene, but a better cap fitting guy and someone that fits the Pens style for the long run and signed long term so there's no cap issues with a new contract.

What if what we saw in Game 82 is what we continue to see from Pouliot after Sarge works with him too, that Pouliot can definitely be a massive asset.

Etc etc...

What if:

Dumoulin, Letang
Cole, Schultz
Pouliot, Hunwick

Is damn solid because of Pouliot's emergence?

Still too risky, I get it.

Last edited:

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Can Hunwick play RD? Because like Dumoulin, Pouliot is MUCH better on the left side.

I remember thinking Dumolin was meh at best when he was first called up. Seemed to fall over ALL THE TIME. You said he looked better on the left side, and boy were you right. Ill learn from that one and say Id like to see him played on his correct side this year a little more.

It will make it interesting if he comes out well and sticks with the big team. Our other PMDs are on the right, so does that relegate Pouliot to the third line if he forces his way up, or do you take a chance with him playing with Schultz (nightmares) or Letang?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I actually feel like Pouliot will do well this year, but I'm not sure if that will be for the Penguins or for another team. What I think the Penguins should do is rest guys like Cole, Dumoulin, Maatta and Schultz randomly and get Pouliot in often, those guys have played an obscene amount of hockey in the last 2 years and I think spreading out days off for each of them would benefit them. I think how Pouliot was used last year at the start of the season, where Sullivan kept him in the press box for like 25 games because the defense was healthy, really hurt him last season.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I expect DP to bounce back this year. Agree that having Gonchar around will aid in that.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I actually feel like Pouliot will do well this year, but I'm not sure if that will be for the Penguins or for another team. What I think the Penguins should do is rest guys like Cole, Dumoulin, Maatta and Schultz randomly and get Pouliot in often, those guys have played an obscene amount of hockey in the last 2 years and I think spreading out days off for each of them would benefit them. I think how Pouliot was used last year at the start of the season, where Sullivan kept him in the press box for like 25 games because the defense was healthy, really hurt him last season.

I hope he does also, but I am neither going to hold my breath or put any of my own money on it.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I really hope it works out for us and Pouliot, have to think this is his final shot here, if it doesn't work out early in the season, he will most probably be moved.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If DP wasn't working hard or was unlucky, I'd believe he could rebound. His problem is that he has a very low hockey IQ. He can't get by on skills anymore and that's why he has been exposed. You could see it back at the WJC.

I have no hope left for him.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
So do we carry 8 D and lose 2 of Kuhnhackl/Archibald/Rowney or carry 14 F and lose Pouliot. Decisions, decisions.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
I really hope it works out for us and Pouliot, have to think this is his final shot here, if it doesn't work out early in the season, he will most probably be moved.

And I think if he's moved, he's on his way out of the league. This isn't the Bylsma era. If you can't learn from Martin and Gonchar, you're probably hopeless as an NHL defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->