Confirmed with Link: Penguins re-sign Derrick Pouliot (1 yr/$800k) and Josh Archibald (2 yrs/$675k per)

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Agreed entirely. He needs to come in and show the offense he was drafted for, even if he makes too many mistakes on D. I'd rather him start from a comfortable spot and build from there.

When was this? I must have missed that :laugh: If I replay my Pouliot highlight reel from this season, it is just a series of replays showing completely undefended guys scoring goals followed by DP drifting into the picture shortly after :laugh:

One of my most memeorable thought processes went something like "uh oh...That was played terribly but it's a forward trying to act as a defenseman and they had no idea what to do.... it's ****ing Pouliot... god damn it."

His last game of the season was one of his better ones iirc but we all know that's not necessarily a real compliment.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Pouliot at that price is worth a gamble in that he can turn it around. It's not like we have a lot of other young guys. Corrado and Taylor.

Corrado
Prow
Taylor

Basically nothing much after that. Bengtsson is done I think, that kid ran into some insane injury bad luck.

Tinordi is interesting, the guy has the size and the bloodlines, but his recent troubles with the substance abuse program wasn't good, I don't know what he took, if it was drugs or PED's, or hell if he smoked a joint (harmless as hell) and got in trouble for that. But cocaine is a huge problem in the NHL apparently, according to Daly anyway, where it's increasing and etc etc...

But Tinordi was a former 1st round pick, had some promise, if he's ready to turn the page and work hard, he's in the right system/team/coaching/environment.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
well here's hoping he works out. If he somehow puts it all together and becomes the guy Shero thought he was drafted we would be in a great freaking spot and he'd be a great fit here. If he can even just be a 3rd pairing guy though, I will be thrilled. Like I said, I mostly just want to see his strengths actually show this year, even if he still shows his weaknesses too.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That's just WBS though, I think next year we could have Almari, Hall, Lauzon, and maybe 2yrs after that, Palojarvi if he develops well.

We still have Birks in Michigan Tech (he's heading into year 3) and Segalla left U.Conn recently and played for the Nailers last year and 1 game for WBS.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
well here's hoping he works out. If he somehow puts it all together and becomes the guy Shero thought he was drafted we would be in a great freaking spot and he'd be a great fit here. If he can even just be a 3rd pairing guy though, I will be thrilled. Like I said, I mostly just want to see his strengths actually show this year, even if he still shows his weaknesses too.

I honestly see him following the path of Cole. We're going to hang on to him, because he's cheap depth and honestly he isn't as bad as people make him, but he needs to be traded to actually stick in the show. He's pretty much followed Cole's career path so far.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
Corrado
Prow
Taylor

Basically nothing much after that. Bengtsson is done I think, that kid ran into some insane injury bad luck.

Tinordi is interesting, the guy has the size and the bloodlines, but his recent troubles with the substance abuse program wasn't good, I don't know what he took, if it was drugs or PED's, or hell if he smoked a joint (harmless as hell) and got in trouble for that. But cocaine is a huge problem in the NHL apparently, according to Daly anyway, where it's increasing and etc etc...

But Tinordi was a former 1st round pick, had some promise, if he's ready to turn the page and work hard, he's in the right system/team/coaching/environment.

Tinordi got busted for PEDs.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Hunwick and Cole can "effectively" play both sides. If one of our top four go down with injury (which they will) we can hope Pouliot will be the first called upon.

It is kind of weird that we have both Pooh and Ruh though.

It's Hunwick and Ruhwedel that makes me doubt Pouliot's future here. Like obviously I'm a Pouliot fan, he's just in a really weird spot here.

With a healthy defense, we're already playing Cole on the right side otherwise there's just no room for Hunwick. Let's say Letang goes down early on, then it becomes Schultz-Cole-Hunwick on the right side (and I have no idea how effectively Hunwick plays the right side, but I'll trust you). That's dicey to me.

It's also just problematic to tell a prospect "Okay here's how you get into the lineup: blow the doors off in camp and then hope someone gets injured. Oh and hope the coach doesn't still like Ruhwedel better." For someone with confidence issues, that's kind of a crappy outlook. He can't just earn a spot in this lineup on merit, I think that's my main point.

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
Moar Archie!!! :yo: :yo:

o-ARCHIE-BUNKER-facebook.jpg

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Corrado
Prow
Taylor

I think it is wise for the Pens to get guys who are young enough to be salvaged. Not sure that any one then has the potential upside of Pouliot though. He looked decent before he was benched after the Schultz trade.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It's Hunwick and Ruhwedel that makes me doubt Pouliot's future here. Like obviously I'm a Pouliot fan, he's just in a really weird spot here.

With a healthy defense, we're already playing Cole on the right side otherwise there's just no room for Hunwick. Let's say Letang goes down early on, then it becomes Schultz-Cole-Hunwick on the right side (and I have no idea how effectively Hunwick plays the right side, but I'll trust you). That's dicey to me.

It's also just problematic to tell a prospect "Okay here's how you get into the lineup: blow the doors off in camp and then hope someone gets injured. Oh and hope the coach doesn't still like Ruhwedel better." For someone with confidence issues, that's kind of a crappy outlook. He can't just earn a spot in this lineup on merit, I think that's my main point.

He's played the right side the majority of his career? He played the left side with Yandle, that's about it from what I remember. I've never been a big Avs fan so never really watched them when he was with them.

Someone on the blueline will go down. It's up to Pouliot to take advantage of the opportunity.

It is also up to our staff to give Pouliot a chance to build up his confidence by letting him string more than three games together.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Both Archie and Pooh will be carried on the NHL roster unless they're dealt away(possibly included in the 3C deal but don't have to be).

They 100% ain't losin' either to waivers for nuttin'.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Corrado
Prow
Taylor

I thought I saw someone post something translated from Swedish that Bengtsson was back training again.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
He's played the right side the majority of his career? He played the left side with Yandle, that's about it from what I remember. I've never been a big Avs fan so never really watched them when he was with them.

It is also up to our staff to give Pouliot a chance to build up his confidence by letting him string more than three games together.

Correct, and that won't really happen if he's relying solely on injury to make it in the lineup. Especially with Ruhwedel as a natural right handed option when that's probably where our injuries will be (Letang).

We did this with Despres. Despres earned every inch of his ice when the defense was injured, and it still didn't matter when guys like Scuderi and Orpik were healthy.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
One positive thing about Shero picking Pouliot instead of Forsberg or Trouba: he's only costing the team $800k per year instead of $6+ million per year. Easier to fit under the salary cap. :sarcasm:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Both Archie and Pooh will be carried on the NHL roster unless they're dealt away(possibly included in the 3C deal but don't have to be).

They 100% ain't losin' either to waivers for nuttin'.

8 dmen, 14 forwards. They can't all stay up, not unless you believe we're gonna have a guy on IR every day of the year. Even for us that feels a bit negative!

henkenorrswede

Jul 3, 2017
well bengtsson not really done yet
hes back training after a personal training Schedule and also trains with NHL swedes that are back here in sweden during the summer.

The big question is how his body recover after every hard trainingshifts that remains to be seen.
Still theres a lil bit of optimism to bee had here since they discovered the sickness early and thanks to his young age the odds are better.
I have a post on this here on forum and i report when i have new info.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Did they have to give one way deals per the CBA? I don't get that part of it.
I don't think so, this is just their second contract after the ELC and it's not out of normal to get a two-way.
Archibal will stay in the NHL because he would be claim for sure, but Pouliot deal maybe is to scare some other "cash strapped" team that would claim him if waived and then to try to sneak him to the AHL, in which case they would had to pay him the full 800k anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad