Post-Game Talk: Penguins @ Rangers: MDSF Game 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Atax

Apr 7, 2011
Glad Girardi is ok. What a warrior! Was hoping Klein would be ready for game 2, but I'd rather have him come back at 100%. Hunwick hasn't been terrible.

Staal had a solid game. I swear he elevates his game when he plays Malkin/Crosby/OV.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
My thoughts on the NBC broadcast is that most fanbases only hear what they want to hear. If you're a Ranger fan you probably only hear them slobbering the Pens and forget all the positive things they say about our team and vice versa for Pen fans. Most fanbases think the NBC crew is slighting their team so I'm inclined to believe that is not really the case and biased people are just used to hearing a broadcast intended to only be heard by one fanbase.

When you see two fanbases complaining about the crew it means it was an evenly called game and you only picked up on the Penguin-biased comments.

while I agree with what you're saying, and its true to an extent;

They just kept pushing narratives down our throats. There were multiple occasions where Fleury would make a solid non-highlight reel save and Pierre would just go off on a tangent about how it would have been a goal last year, and how this year is a different story with MAF.

Pierre was calling Lapierre an "x-factor" that could "change the course of the series"

Yea hes annoying, but I guarantee shutting down Maxim Lapierre is not part of the gameplan.

I understand that the announcers need to play up some sort of story line to make things more interesting, but it just seems so forced sometimes.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Rasp saying Staal didn't play well makes me really scratch my head.

Certain people defer to statistical graphs rather than watching a performance. Both have merit, but I think the 'eye-test' satisifies many things that an advanced stat metric can't track.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
From Scott Cullen:

Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin - Pittsburgh's superstar centres were held to a combined total of three shots on goal and a fair amount of the credit ought to go to Rangers D Ryan McDonagh, who was on the ice against Crosby more than any other Ranger and the second-most against Malkin. Pretty impressive for McDonagh considering Crosby and Malkin played less than two minutes together at even strength.

http://www.tsn.ca/familiar-faces-lead-ducks-comeback-1.259276

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I thought they were excellent in the waning miutes of the game. Where they miss Boyle is, the other 3rd of a 4th line. Boyle-Moore-Fast would be an excellent 4th line.
I don't disagree but throwing some combo of Moore/Boyle/Stepan/ Hagelin was pretty perfect for a game lockdown. Now we have Glass getting benched because he can't be trusted in the defensive zone at all

Raspewtin

May 30, 2013
Rasp saying Staal didn't play well makes me really scratch my head.

Okay.

Certain people defer to statistical graphs rather than watching a performance. Both have merit, but I think the 'eye-test' satisifies many things that an advanced stat metric can't track.

I bet you didn't even realize I said nothing at all of advanced stats regarding Staal's performance.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
I don't disagree but throwing some combo of Moore/Boyle/Stepan/ Hagelin was pretty perfect for a game lockdown. Now we have Glass getting benched because he can't be trusted in the defensive zone at all

I hear you and agree.

Glass is udders on a bull.

One thing I will add, Fast was excellent in the last minute, he made at least 2 or 3 noticeable defensive plays

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Agreed. If Sheppard was playing, I'd say this shutdown unit is just as good as last year's. Boyle = Sheppard.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Fast had some real nice shifts in the 3rd where he kept cycling and fighting for the puck in the offensive zone and kept eating up precious seconds off the clock. For a guy who's not that big he's very good along the boards. Ulf Dahlen who coahced him in the SEL really helped him with that.

When he plays physical he resembles Cally.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
The shift where Hayes turned it over to Malkin, the Pens had 11 shot attempts. That accounted for more than half of Pittsburgh's shot attempts the entire 3rd period. The Rangers were great in the 3rd period outside that truly awful shift.

My life flashed before my eyes when I saw it was Malkin who picked off his pass.

Ha ha. That shift was intense. Classic Rangers bad shift - little bad decisions, bad passes, clearing attempts that didn't quite make it out .... but they weathered it.

Wolfy*

Lots of strange voting here, what the heck did Miller do? Nash and Zucc assisted on the goals, did you miss that? Girardi also played very well, but it's obviously not being appreciated.

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
“@rangersreport: Girardi: "Everything's fine, you've got to practice. That goes for anybody on the team. If you're good enough to skate, you go skate."”

Holocene

Mar 10, 2011
Toms River, NJ
Lots of strange voting here, what the heck did Miller do? Nash and Zucc assisted on the goals, did you miss that? Girardi also played very well, but it's obviously not being appreciated.

Did you miss Miller all over the ice? Driving possession and laying hits? He was definitely one of the best players last night.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York

Miller was all over the ice, creating chances and hitting everything. He was far and away the most noticeable player in the top 6. You can't go just based on the stat sheet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad