Confirmed with Link: Penguins place Zach Boychuk back on waivers (Claimed by Nashville)

Status
Not open for further replies.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I was really confused by the decision to not give Boychuk a look against Carolina. I thought, even as a professional courtesy, that would be the right move. Put him with Brandon Sutter and give him a chance to make it a memorable night. However, I can also see the flip side of the coin where you don't want a player coming out complacent because he's playing against a lot of his friends. Tough spot.

Do you guys think he'll stay with Pittsburgh as the 13th or 14th forward or will he eventually be back on waivers? Does he get another chance?

I don't know. He really hasn't shown anything. Outside of a few good plays. But like others have mentioned, he doesn't seem willing to pay the price to make plays. And he isn't good enough to produce as only a perimeter player.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Guess I'm in the minority in not seeing one iota of "offensive creativity" in Boychuk's game.

Only thing I saw from him was a fast guy who was decent on the breakout but didn't want the puck in the offensive zone, had no vision, didn't look for holes in coverage and was both unwilling to fight for body position and unable to get it anyway in every situation.

Let's-not-and-say-we-did hockey. "I was seven feet from the net coach, look how good I'm doing." Sorry Zack, I noticed the D had your stick in the air and you made no attempt to fight to get it back on the ice.

Fourth line's assignment is to bang guys and keep the puck in the zone. Whether or not that's being accomplished, it's a mystery to me why anyone would think that Boychuk would in any way be capable of doing either of those things to any degree.

Better to waive Boychuk and call up Sill or Farnham if you think the fourth line isn't doing its job. At least they have some of what would be needed to succeed in that assignment as opposed to nothing.

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
Would of liked to see Martin retro-actively IR'd so we could keep Boychuk.

You can't predict injuries.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The Canes can send him directly back to Charlotte, and Charlotte is brutally depleted right now with all our injuries and callups, so I seriously doubt he clears. Hope you enjoyed his uselessness while you did! :laugh:

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Expected that with Malkin coming back. Only other options were to send one of Despres or Bennett down or put Martin on IR.

Looks like Bennett is here to stay so that's nice. And DayPray needs to be playing every night.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The Canes can send him directly back to Charlotte, and Charlotte is brutally depleted right now with all our injuries and callups, so I seriously doubt he clears. Hope you enjoyed his uselessness while you did! :laugh:

:laugh:

The kid tries hard but can't stay on his skates and can't finish. He's fun to watch because he can buzz around and get chances but also frustrating to watch because of that inability to ever finish those chances.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Thought I read that Jim Rutherford would snag him back if the Pens waived him...

He did and he will. Just a matter of if another team wants to put in a claim and give him a shot in the NHL. Otherwise Carolina will claim him and send him to Charlotte (AHL).

MurphyDump

Dec 22, 2010
He did and he will. Just a matter of if another team wants to put in a claim and give him a shot in the NHL. Otherwise Carolina will claim him and send him to Charlotte (AHL).

Carolina gets first dibs on him, being that they lost him to waivers.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Carolina gets first dibs on him, being that they lost him to waivers.

I've seen that debated in other threads.

Someone posted this on the trade board.

Pretty sure the first priority thing is a myth causes by teams often reclaiming their players.

He is on waivers and it is reverse order of the standings as always.

I think you are correct. I took a quick look through the old CBA and nowhere did I see anything about the original team getting first dibs. Unless it changed in this CBA, it's still reverse standings.

13.22 When a Club claims a Player on Regular, Re-Entry or Unconditional Waivers, and, subsequently, in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1258831&page=37

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I figure Carolina re-claims him. They said they would, were he placed back on waivers.

Farewell, Bourquechuk. We hardly knew ya.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Imagine the **** he's going to get from his AHL teammates..

''You got a chance to play with Malkin and Neal and you blew it?!''

Yeah, I bet he will. I watched videos of him in the AHL and he seems like a fun loving guy so I think he'll handle it well. He still blew a good chance though. He didn't even have to find his own place here. He stayed at Sutter's place, got to play with Malkin and Neal but blew too many glorious scoring chances to stick I suppose. Bennett and Jeffrey playing well probably knocked him off the roster too.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I was thinking the same thing. I would have liked to seen Boychuk tried with Crosby, but thats on Bylsma. As for him taking a chance on ZB, it was nothing lost by doing so.

How many players did we forcefully deal this year for minimal gain, after KNOWING full well we had a numbers issue heading into the off-season, BEFORE the lockout? And one of those players was lost for nothing. Boychuk will make it two.

Why are we waiving Boychuk? Could we not use a 23-year-old winger? He's clearly not ready to be a top-six winger, but can someone tell me with a straight face that he doesn't deserve at least a LOOK on RW next to Sutter (instead of the black hole sporting jersey No. 48)?

With guys like Tangradi and Boychuk, this organization had a No. 2 Line LW-or-bust mentality...as if everything is perfect on the third and fourth lines. Which is assinine. Tangradi's better than Tanner Glass, and it's not close, and Boychuk is better than Kennedy (if not Adams).

Jeffrey's next. Only a matter of time. We're a joke.

Hottubber

Feb 9, 2010
How many players did we forcefully deal this year for minimal gain, after KNOWING full well we had a numbers issue heading into the off-season, BEFORE the lockout? And one of those players was lost for nothing. Boychuk will make it two.

Why are we waiving Boychuk? Could we not use a 23-year-old winger? He's clearly not ready to be a top-six winger, but can someone tell me with a straight face that he doesn't deserve at least a LOOK on RW next to Sutter (instead of the black hole sporting jersey No. 48)?

With guys like Tangradi and Boychuk, this organization had a No. 2 Line LW-or-bust mentality...as if everything is perfect on the third and fourth lines. Which is assinine. Tangradi's better than Tanner Glass, and it's not close, and Boychuk is better than Kennedy (if not Adams).

Jeffrey's next. Only a matter of time. We're a joke.

Im totally with you on that one. I liked the pick up and didnt think he should be tried with just Malkin but im not the one making the decisions. Somethings gotta give sooner or later. Jeffery will either be given a chance or will get tired of being in and out and ask for a trade. Kennedy - I dont know what to say anymore about him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad