Confirmed with Link: Penguins place Zach Boychuk back on waivers (Claimed by Nashville)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bennett Brauer

May 1, 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm wondering why people are still talking about him. I guess it's another one of those biproducts of all of us being on this board way too much instead of trusting our eyes.

Boychuk is a nothing. No he should not play in Kennedy's place, and I hate Kennedy. What nonsense.

I've been impressed with him since his first game here, I have made it known that I'm a Boychuk fan, and i've seen several of your posts that you clearly are not. :laugh:

I can see he has potential. When I watched him play, he's made some good passes out there, he's a fast skater, he's not afraid to hit someone for being 5'10".

The guy has skill. I would like to add, that he's made some better passes out there than #87 has this year.

I think if he was playing with a true playmaker and his linemates would trust him, he can be a goal scorer in this league, he's so much different than our previous waiver claims. Chris Bourque was a joke, Cal O'Reilly was just acquired for depth purposes, but Boychuk really looks like he can be a successful NHL player.

roready

Brink, Truth, Life
Jul 10, 2012
iligbpa
I've been impressed with him since his first game here, I have made it known that I'm a Boychuk fan, and i've seen several of your posts that you clearly are not. :laugh:

I can see he has potential. When I watched him play, he's made some good passes out there, he's a fast skater, he's not afraid to hit someone for being 5'10".

The guy has skill. I would like to add, that he's made some better passes out there than #87 has this year.

I think if he was playing with a true playmaker and his linemates would trust him, he can be a goal scorer in this league, he's so much different than our previous waiver claims. Chris Bourque was a joke, Cal O'Reilly was just acquired for depth purposes, but Boychuk really looks like he can be a successful NHL player.

I will call this a coaches mistake that Boychuk did not play against Carolina. He could have played for TK or Bennett or Glass.

Reason: If you want to know if he can play, then try him against his old team because that would be the one game he should really be up for. Especially after sitting for the last so many games. The only way I would not have played Boychuk is if they just want to send him back to the AHL and are hoping he passes waivers, then don't play him until Malkin comes back - then try to send him down. Maybe he can get better and/or bulk up in the AHL.

Slabber Chops

Feb 20, 2005
New Zealand
It always amazes me with the amount of Pens fans that completely write somebody off with only seeing them play a handful of games with somebody they don't mesh well with.

I do realise that Boychuk is not Neal but hell, I remember the calls after Neal arrived that first season.

HuskerTornado

Jobu Needs Rum
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
I will call this a coaches mistake that Boychuk did not play against Carolina. He could have played for TK or Bennett or Glass.

Reason: If you want to know if he can play, then try him against his old team because that would be the one game he should really be up for. Especially after sitting for the last so many games. The only way I would not have played Boychuk is if they just want to send him back to the AHL and are hoping he passes waivers, then don't play him until Malkin comes back - then try to send him down. Maybe he can get better and/or bulk up in the AHL.
If they do that, he becomes property of Carolina again...

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette
There is not a chance in hell that Boychuk would contribute less than TK. Boychuk looked okay before he was scratched. He tried to create some offense and he attempted to be physical. Thats alot more than the steaming pile of **** TK is offering on a nightly basis.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Agreed. This team could certainly use some offensive creativity with Geno out of the lineup and Boychuk was at least providing that. He just couldn't finish to save his life but maybe he will in time.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Agreed. This team could certainly use some offensive creativity with Geno out of the lineup and Boychuk was at least providing that. He just couldn't finish to save his life but maybe he will in time.

I'd love to see a line-up like this, just for a game.

Kunitz, Crosby, Neal
Bennett, Jeffrey, Boychuk
Cooke, Sutter, Dupuis
Glass, Vitale, Kennedy

Bench: Adams.

I guess I can fire up NHL2013 and do this myself, of course in my NHL2013, Craig Adams is bought out and sits in the UFA list FOREVER....FOREVER!

No not really, Anaheim gave me a 4th for him.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I'd love to see a line-up like this, just for a game.

Kunitz, Crosby, Neal
Bennett, Jeffrey, Boychuk
Cooke, Sutter, Dupuis
Glass, Vitale, Kennedy

Bench: Adams.

I guess I can fire up NHL2013 and do this myself, of course in my NHL2013, Craig Adams is bought out and sits in the UFA list FOREVER....FOREVER!

No not really, Anaheim gave me a 4th for him.
I'd be fine with that lineup. Although I think TK is more likely to be benched than Adams but I doubt either will be.

Also, Boychuk is a natural LW and Bennett is a natural RW despite playing LW in his brief stint here so far. Bennett has actually talked recently about how little he's played LW in his career before arriving here. It might do him some good to get back to his natural side. Not that he's done overly bad at LW so far.

Kunitz Crosby Neal
Boychuk Jeffrey Bennett
Cooke Sutter Dupuis
Glass Vitale Adams
Kennedy

I'd also think about benching Glass too. I doubt they will but his lack of finishing and penalties have kind of pissed me off lately.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I suppose Boychuk can make a case that he is not a lesser option than a couple of our players, but I certainly did not see him provide anything to suggest that he was more effective than for instance Kennedy was at Carolina. Granted, I also think that was one of Kennedy's better games in a while.

Rather, I thought Boychuck did very, very little other than skate reasonably fast and squander the opportunities others (well, Geno) provided for him. Jeffrey has been much more of an impact player, and I am not just talking about his goals.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

true! but with his passing he seems to be more a play-maker than a scorer...he need to get stronger.....if he could put on some weight he would be soooo much better imo

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

What's nonsense is continuing to trot out Kennedy who continues to suck and hurt the team, and never hold him accountable. Its also nonsense to never even try Boychuk in Kennedy's place for a game to see if he can play above the unbelievably low bar Kennedy has set before we let the kid go.

It always amazes me with the amount of Pens fans that completely write somebody off with only seeing them play a handful of games with somebody they don't mesh well with.

I dunno Ron, all these guys that can't produce seem to have some kind of excuse. Are guys expected to ever make the coaches raise an eyebrow on their own, or do they have to be in the exact perfect situation else it's the coach's fault? Doesn't mesh well with those players? What makes you think he would've even had the chances he had without Malkin and Neal on the ice garnering every ounce of attention?

At any rate I will see both of you a spot for Boychuk and raise you a scratch for Tanner Glass. Let's at least meet there. :)

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
they should of played him vs the canes too could of sparked him up

No, why do that, we needed to play the same exact roster that laid that stinker in Florida...

In the pre-game Bylsma basically said there's no chance Boychuk plays unless there's another injury. The only name he mentioned was Jeffrey, in reference to their need for a center now that Geno is out.

So obviously, amazing wingers like Kennedy, Glass, and Adams are completely infallible and too valuable to ever scratch :shakehead

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Also, Boychuk is a natural LW and Bennett is a natural RW despite playing LW in his brief stint here so far. Bennett has actually talked recently about how little he's played LW in his career before arriving here. It might do him some good to get back to his natural side. Not that he's done overly bad at LW so far.

When did Bennett say that? Just don't remember.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I suppose Boychuk can make a case that he is not a lesser option than a couple of our players, but I certainly did not see him provide anything to suggest that he was more effective than for instance Kennedy was at Carolina. Granted, I also think that was one of Kennedy's better games in a while.

Rather, I thought Boychuck did very, very little other than skate reasonably fast and squander the opportunities others (well, Geno) provided for him. Jeffrey has been much more of an impact player, and I am not just talking about his goals.

Disagree. I saw him create several opportunities for himself. So he squandered opportunities, but it's not like Geno was constantly setting him up and he failed. He could make a 1 on 1 move and still have the puck. I can't say the same for the majority of our forward roster. That said, I'm not sure he's an NHL player. He has NHL skill, but if you can't finish, you better bring other intangibles. He hasn't shown those other things yet.

I would have liked to see him play last night but I knew it wouldn't happen.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
i only recall Steiggy saying something bout that....he's a reliable source right? :laugh:

Yeah, Steiggy mentioned Beau telling him about how little experience he has on his off wing (LW). Normally I wouldn't believe Steiggy on much but he has no reason to lie about that conversation. Steiggy also was the first person to report Beau was going to get called up IIRC.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Yeah, Steiggy mentioned Beau telling him about how little experience he has on his off wing (LW). Normally I wouldn't believe Steiggy on much but he has no reason to lie about that conversation. Steiggy also was the first person to report Beau was going to get called up IIRC.

I remember Steiggy saying that Bennett played RW at Denver (which I don't think was correct). I don't remember him saying that Bennett had actually told him that. He just stated what he thought was true.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Agreed. I've loved all the NHL Network / non-Root broadcasts this year. I don't watch NHL broadcasts to listen to inane babble and guys stumbling over their own words, even if once every 20 games he says something so off the wall it's funny.

By far the funniest thing this year is Vitale spraying Potash with ice shavings every pre-game. Now THAT's quality broadcasting.

quins

Feb 27, 2013
I am game trying both Bennett and Boychuk. Why not?? I am even game for them to play in Montreal.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I was really confused by the decision to not give Boychuk a look against Carolina. I thought, even as a professional courtesy, that would be the right move. Put him with Brandon Sutter and give him a chance to make it a memorable night. However, I can also see the flip side of the coin where you don't want a player coming out complacent because he's playing against a lot of his friends. Tough spot.

Do you guys think he'll stay with Pittsburgh as the 13th or 14th forward or will he eventually be back on waivers? Does he get another chance?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I was really confused by the decision to not give Boychuk a look against Carolina. I thought, even as a professional courtesy, that would be the right move. Put him with Brandon Sutter and give him a chance to make it a memorable night. However, I can also see the flip side of the coin where you don't want a player coming out complacent because he's playing against a lot of his friends. Tough spot.

Do you guys think he'll stay with Pittsburgh as the 13th or 14th forward or will he eventually be back on waivers? Does he get another chance?

I think changes are coming to this roster. They may want to keep him as depth for the time being. Especially if Jeffrey is traded when Geno is back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad