Confirmed with Link: Penguins place Zach Boychuk back on waivers (Claimed by Nashville)

Status
Not open for further replies.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Question: If nashville waives boychuk, will he become pens property to send to AHL or does Carolina still have "dibs" on him? :)

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Good for him, and good for Nashville. He's got the work ethic to play for them, and they need offense. Could be a good fit. See ya.

/thread

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Question: If nashville waives boychuk, will he become pens property to send to AHL or does Carolina still have "dibs" on him? :)

There's no DIBS, it's a common misconception. The waiver priority goes to the team that has the worst record at the time. I'm sure Carolina put in a claim, but Nashville has a worse record so Boychuk was awarded to them. The only benefit to being the original team (which Carolina is and remains), is that there is a bit more ability to send him down to the AHL without going through waivers IF their claim is successful. that's it.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
Preds claim another guy today? Who do they think they are, the Islanders? I guess it's understandable though. They are desperate for offense and Boychuk may provide some if he ever finds his scoring touch. He gets chances if nothing else.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
There's no DIBS, it's a common misconception. The waiver priority goes to the team that has the worst record at the time. I'm sure Carolina put in a claim, but Nashville has a worse record so Boychuk was awarded to them. The only benefit to being the original team (which Carolina is and remains), is that there is a bit more ability to send him down to the AHL without going through waivers IF their claim is successful. that's it.

Thanks. We wont see him in WBS anytime soon then, if ever.

PenguinTommy

Jan 4, 2009
Zvolen
Well, if you lose a player via waivers and that team would put him on waivers again, you are no.1 place in the order.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Again, wrong.

I don't know how may times I've had to see this explained, Christ, it's explained a whole four posts before your original post. This really is the new "two-way contract means you don't have to clear waivers."

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Again, wrong.

I don't know how may times I've had to see this explained, Christ, it's explained a whole four posts before your original post. This really is the new "two-way contract means you don't have to clear waivers."

Well, I'm sure he's learned his lesson, and you seem to feel better about yourself. Being condescending is the new ...

The guy clearly doesn't know, and the quote he's using is from an actual newspaper. HE'S QUOTING A NEWS SOURCE. You can put that quote into google and it pops up as being attributed to Jim Rutherford.

PenguinTommy

Jan 4, 2009
Zvolen
Well I would like to see this part in the CBA, because that's not the first time I heard things I wrote.

I am not arguing you, just wasn't sure.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Well, I'm sure he's learned his lesson, and you seem to feel better about yourself. Being condescending is the new ...

The guy clearly doesn't know, and the quote he's using is from an actual newspaper. HE'S QUOTING A NEWS SOURCE. You can put that quote into google and it pops up as being attributed to Jim Rutherford.
Oh, I'm sure he'll be okay. It'll be tough, but he'll pull through from my dastardly condescension. One day at a time.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
That news story was a bit misleading. The Canes beat writer is the one who said the Canes get first priority, Rutherford was saying he'd put a claim in for Boychuk if the Pens Waived him. Later, the Canes official PR guy tweeted this (and said this information was confirmed by Rutherford). There is a whole string of tweets by him that you can check out if you want to.

Michael Smith ‏@MSmithCanes

Re: Boychuk on waivers, #Canes don't have "first dibs"

All teams can still put in claims in, and the player is awarded to team with "worst" record.

Also, I read through the CBA. The only mention of the original team that waives a player that I could find is as follows. There is no mention of priority given to the original team.

When a Club claims a Player on Waivers, and, subsequently, in the same season it requests Waivers on the same Player and the original owning Club is the successful and only Club making a Waiver claim, then the original owning Club shall be entitled to Loan such Player to a club in another league within thirty days without further Waivers being asked; provided that such Player has not participated in ten or more NHL Games (cumulative) and remained on an NHL roster more than thirty days (cumulative) following such successful claim.

Lastly, the Canes beat writer said that the Canes were putting a claim on Boychuk as they needed him for Charlotte, but Nashville had priority due to the lower standings.

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
Hearing the Canes will claim Boychuk off waivers. Badly needed in Charlotte with injuries to Dalpe, Nodl.

Conclusion: There is no waiver priority for the team that originally waived a player. The Canes most definitely put in a claim on Boychuk, but Nashville had a worse record and was thus awarded Boychuk.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
The only advantage the original team has is that they can send down the player to the AHL without having to waive him again (since they had already waived him once - when they lost him) . It has no bearing whatsoever on priority when there are several claims. That is solely determined by current league standings (or by the previous season's final standings during October of the following season). At least that's how it was under the 2005 CBA. It's a very common misconception on here (I was wrong on it for years, too).

So if the Canes had been the only team to claim Boychuck they could've sent him down immediately. But a team worse in the standings, and thus higher on the priority list, also put in a claim so they got him. But now Nashville would have to waive him again if they wanted to send him to their farm team, just like we did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad