Confirmed with Link: PENGUINS LAND IGINLA! Trade Hanowski, Agostino, 2013 1st-rounder to Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOrder

Mar 3, 2008
The more I think about it, the more I realize just how much of an evil genius Shero is.

Before I even go into what he did, let's start by describing the context of the past week or so. Calgary has Iginla, who has basically been the franchise for over a decade. He's on the last year of a contract on a team that's going nowhere fast and looking to jump start a rebuild, is 35 going on 36, and has yet to win a Cup. A classic scenario where one would expect the Flames to deal him to a contender for picks and prospects in order to start over. Now here's the first important detail: Iginla has a NMC. Between that and his value to that franchise, what this means is that he's the one who's actually in control of whatever trade involving him would go down. This is the first thing that had me understanding how Shero landed him: HE NEVER PLANNED ON ACTUALLY NEGOTIATING WITH FEASTER. Feaster, in this situation, is nothing more than a middle man, because Shero and Iginla are actually negotiating through him. On top of that, it was leaked that Pittsburgh was one of the teams Iginla would be willing to be traded to. And that was when a devious, devious plan formed in Shero's mind.

You see, the basis of the negotiations between Shero and Feaster (actually Iginla) was not to send the package that Calgary would find the most appealing, but to prove to Iginla that his best shot at getting a Cup was to join the Penguins. So how would they go about doing that? Lesser GMs would simply try to convincing Feaster and Iginla through WORDS that the Pens were in the best position to win this year. Shero knew that WORDS meant nothing, especially if you couldn't talk directly to the one guy you were actually negotiating with. So come Sunday, phase one of the master plan was executed: we acquire Brendan Morrow from the Stars.

At first glance, everyone here concluded two things: we gave up way too much in futures by sending Joe Morrow Dallas' way and either took ourselves out of the chase for Iginla or at least made it much less likely. Similar conclusions were made here with Douglas Murray when we traded for him on Monday. But it was actually the opposite: we made the ultimate pitch to Iginla to join the Pens. Even the fact that we overpaid for those two was, I suspect, 100 % intentional in Shero's part, because it sends two messages:

1. To Iginla: ‘We have just added two veteran, experienced, grinding and most importantly, CUP-HUNGRY players for our Cup run, and we were willing to sacrifice some of our future for them. It would also be hard to argue that they wouldn't add leadership to a team that wasn't really lacking in it (Crosby, Vokoun, Orpik), especially Morrow who has concrete evidence of it by virtue of having been the Stars' captain prior to joining us. We're not full of hot air when we said we believe that we're the favorites to win it all. Other teams can claim all they want that they think they'll give you the best chance to win, but who's out there actually doing anything about it other than us?’

Naturally, the message was received by Iginla without him ever hearing a word from the Penguins organization.

2. To the rest of the league: ‘We have just paid through the nose in order to just add depth to our lineup. If you want to get on our level, be prepared to pay the same price, or you'll just be left behind.’

Basically, by overpaying for Morrow and Murray, not only does Shero show Iginla that we're all in, but he also jacked up the prices league-wide needed to pay just for the chance for any other team to try to match the Pens. A true double knockout: the point of the first two trades wasn't just to acquire good depth players, but to set us up to pick up a third piece, the biggest one of them all. It turns out we were all extremely short-sighted: Shero was never worried about overpaying in individual trades, as long as it meant that we would come out better by the end than when we started. The concrete version of this concept is simply imagining all three trades as one big one:

Pens give up:
- Joe Morrow
- Kenneth Agostino
- Ben Hanowski
- 2013 1st round pick
- 2013 2nd round pick
- 2013 5th round pick
- 2014 3rd round pick (2014 2nd round pick if the Pens make the second round of the playoff or we re-sign Murray)

And receive:
- Jarome Iginla
- Brendan Morrow
- Douglas Murray
- 2013 3rd round pick

Suddenly, the trades, put together, don't seem bad at all, do they?

This was Shero's master plan all along. Like a true chessmaster, he cares not for the lost battles, but only seeks to win the war. I'd say this goes a LONG way towards winning that war.

Last edited:

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
:laugh: Expected.

I feel like we paid more for Morrow than we did for Iginla. Weird.

Guessing at some point last week Shero knew that Boston didn't have interest in J. Morrow or at least that it wouldn't take Morrow to get an Iginla deal done, which is essentially when he was traded without hesitation to get a deal done for B. Morrow.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Despite all the endless Bruins talk, who at least are my #2 and original hometown team, I kept hoping he'd get to the 'burgh. The text early this morning from the Penguins was a great way to wake up!

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Just logged now. (I've stuck in studying/papers mode)

What possessed Feaster to trade him to the Pens and not the Bruins? The reported deal that the Bs had in place (Caron, Khokhlachev, 1st) seems more enticing than what he was ultimately dealt for.

Oxide

Jan 17, 2010
Pittsburgh
Just logged now. (I've stuck in studying/papers mode)

What possessed Feaster to trade him to the Pens and not the Bruins? The reported deal that the Bs had in place (Caron, Khokhlachev, 1st) seems more enticing than what he was ultimately dealt for.

Iginla chose the Penguins.

rban*

Quite the move.

The presence of Crosby and Malkin makes guys like Dupuis into 20 goal scorers. Despite the fact that Iginla has been going downhill for awhile now, for the first time in his career he is surrounded by real superstar talent.

Hard to predict exactly how a player will gel and react, but odds are Iginla will find a second wind and perform admirably.

On another topic: Is Brendan Morrow really a third line player now? Really? Has he lost that much of a step?

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Quite the move.

The presence of Crosby and Malkin makes guys like Dupuis into 20 goal scorers. Despite the fact that Iginla has been going downhill for awhile now, for the first time in his career he is surrounded by real superstar talent.

Hard to predict exactly how a player will gel and react, but odds are Iginla will find a second wind and perform admirably.

On another topic: Is Brendan Morrow really a third line player now? Really? Has he lost that much of a step?

Yes. He looked slow the other night and Stars fans have told us when we traded for him that he did take a step back. Still a great depth player and with Iginla on board it makes him a perfect 3rd liner

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
Holy crap! I go to bed - he's for sure with the Bruins. I wake up and he's a FREAKING PENGUIN! Very super excited right now!

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I am not sure what lineup I'd want to see

The number of options is truly crazy now. I think Kunitz will probably stay up with Sid until such time as Iggy and Sid are comfortable together so short term I'd expect:

Kunitz - Sid - Iggy
Morrow - Geno - Neal (see how it works)

The really trick part is figuring out the 3rd line because there are several legitimate options:

Cooke - Sutter - Dupuis (defensive minded - probably the most obvious)

Bennett - Sutter - Cooke (offensive minded)

Bennett - Sutter - Dupuis (mix)

Morrow - Sutter - Dupuis

Morrow - Sutter - Cooke

Cooke - Sutter - Kennedy (amazing how bad an idea this seems like now :laugh: )

4th line too, but what I'd do to start is

3rd:

Bennett - Sutter - Dupuis (I really like the makeup of this line. Equally good at putting up some points and playing tough D against opposing lines.)

4th:
Cooke - Vitale - Kennedy
Adams

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I cannot believe how that all went down. I went to bed with TSN's final report at like 12:30 that Iginla went to Boston.

What a treat to wake up to..... and I hope everyone dogging Shero gives him credit for pulling the swerve (wrestling term) on Boston.

BY GAWD! SHERO WITH THE CHAIR! GOOD GOD ALL MIGHTY!

There it is.

I went to bed around 5:30, and I'm still got a grin from ear to ear.

I was all in until the Boston reports of a done deal, and then.....Jarome sent a bomb shell and Shero/PitHockey22 an hour before we knew we had him.

Just imagine all the Boston fans who went to bed thinking they had him. Priceless.

I don't think much is getting done today.:laugh:

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Glorious. I don't know if he's quite what he once was but he only has to be one of the top 5 offensive players on this team, not the first or second. I'm busting today.

Honestly, I think Iginla has a lot more left than he's shown in Calgary. They had no true centre and playing for that team with the state it's in, is depressing. Now Iggy has the exact opposite. I really hope he gets his cup run now. Ya'll just need Afly to complete the old player hat trick. :laugh:

Dreger's reporting Iggy had three choices and opted for Pittsburgh. One more kick at Boston. I'm okay with this.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Courtsey of Ea.

BGbCw_rCEAA0JEm.jpg

Gold, Shrimper.

This will be avatar size real fast.:laugh:

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
This lineup is so damn stacked now. We can roll something like this out there.

Kunitz Crosby Iginla
Morrow Malkin Neal
Bennett Sutter Dupuis
Cooke Vitale Adams

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
This lineup is so damn stacked now. We can roll something like this out there.

Kunitz Crosby Iginla
Morrow Malkin Neal
Bennett Sutter Dupuis
Cooke Vitale Adams

I would switch Morrow and Sunshine, but EITHER WAY you have 3 legitimate scoring lines, and the 3rd line is still very good defensively.

SteelFish87*

I would switch Morrow and Sunshine, but EITHER WAY you have 3 legitimate scoring lines, and the 3rd line is still very good defensively.

1st line is gonna be a beast offensively and defensively

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
I really hate your team's captain, but I really like Malkin and Iggy. Might be on board for your trip to the finals this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad