Confirmed with Link: PENGUINS LAND IGINLA! Trade Hanowski, Agostino, 2013 1st-rounder to Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
1st line is gonna be a beast offensively and defensively

last arrogant post for me on this before I become fraught with nervousness over the Pens HAVING to win the cup this year:

Hard to play defense when every shift consists of spending a minute in the offensive zone.

boom.;P

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Our top 9 is incredible. We have two 20 goal scorers on the 3rd line.

it can't be said enough how lucky we are to be an organization that players *want* to play for. It helps to win, but it's also huge to have a captain like Sid that is well respected by his peers and builds a rapport with guys like Morrow and Iginla even when they weren't teammates for long.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Looks perfect to me. Morrow would do great parked in front of the goalie and getting garbage goals on Malkin/Neal's line. And Kunitz-Crosby-Iginla? Wow. Dupuis would be amazing with that third line. Though I might put him with Malkin and Neal and Morrow on the third line too.

I'll wait to see how Morrow looks with Malkin and Neal. I have my doubts about the 2013 version of Morrow not being an albatross, but we'll see. My only hope is that if it doesn't work out, then DB is quick to see it and to do something about it. I could see Dupuis there. What also might be nice is that DB uses Malkin as a lineup rover like he did in the 2009 cup run, where he was probably 70-30 between his regular line and random shifts elsewhere. Getting Iginla and neutralizing the advantage that having Malkin represents while everyone is obsessed about Sid and Iggy would, IMO, be a huge mistake.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

it can't be said enough how lucky we are to be an organization that players *want* to play for. It helps to win, but it's also huge to have a captain like Sid that is well respected by his peers and builds a rapport with guys like Morrow and Iginla even when they weren't teammates for long.

Agreed... and they are solid defensive style players.

nTsplnk*

Yes. He looked slow the other night and Stars fans have told us when we traded for him that he did take a step back. Still a great depth player and with Iginla on board it makes him a perfect 3rd liner

Yea he definitely looked slower. He needs to get to the front of the next

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Philly board crickets on Iginla trade. Rangers fans complain about the cost of King Kongs cleanup. I can't say the cost was below what many were thinking for Jerome, but Jerome was calling the shots. Tough for the Flames but at least class move by them to give him what he wanted. Me I would prefer to see Dupuis play lwing on the second line. More speed and better forecheck. But I guess Kunitz move there and Jerome move to RW and Dupuis is LW. Still like cooke and Vitale on fourth line with Sutter, Morrow and Bennett on the third.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
We don't have to bring up posts of others. We were acting like babies at 12:00 until we heard the sudden swerve. Let's focus on the positives here and not bring up other posts. It just allows them to come in and troll. :)

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
tumblr_mdft5mqtRY1rkppw7o1_400.gif

Still feeling like this little guy. It's a great day for hockey.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
JUST saw the news... unbelievable. The second I go offline / the one night I decide to turn in early because the Flames won't announce in the middle of the night, this goes down. :laugh:

I called that one ("wouldn't it be funny if Shero trolled us all") when everyone was saying "Done Deal: Bruins"... awesome deal. I just had a feeling the way all the media guys were vague and contradicting that something else was going on. Seemed like perfect Shero-prose.

JUST ONE THING FOR ALL THE SHERO BASHERS:

I don't want to hear jack squat from any of you (in terms of complaints and whining), from this point until next deadline at least. Not now, not in the playoffs, not this summer. Not only did we get Iginla but we gave up only one valuable asset to do it! No Bennett, no Despres, no roster players.... Shero is an evil genius (apparently) and arguably the best GM in hockey IMO. I would've said anyone who predicted those guys to be Calgary's "target prospects", was ****ing crazy. Agostino and Hanowski?? They're decent prospects but it's like an HFB / Pens Board wet-dream. :laugh:

Just goes to show in hockey trades you can't build hard, fast "rules". One GM requires Joe Morrow for a F on his last legs, another GM requires mid-level prospects for Jarome Iginla. When you compare those things it makes absolutely no sense but it 100% proves Shero's point the other day when he said "I don't set the price, I only decide if I'll pay it." And no doubt, some well-timed salesmanship probably. It's hard to believe even Feaster would've considered that to be his first asking price.

CV . . . all season, I was asking if Shero was risk averse as a GM. The record of the last few years did support that. Well, the second he made the Morrow for Morrow move, I said he was all in this year and including on Iginla. I am convinced that Feaster asked for Pouliot and a 1st (yes, Iginla's role helped lower the price as much as salesmanship).

BUT, here's where this becomes a joke: Somehow, suggesting that in Shero had been a little risk averse became the equivalent in the little minds here of people saying Shero was a horrible GM. THAT is just beyond dumb but not unexpected.

You were not alone, BTW, in wondering last night if this wouldn't turn out like Hossa 2.0. ;)

jinx33

The Rust is real
Sep 11, 2006
Paris, FR
Vitale is gonna be scratched and y'all know it. Sad to say, but DB is having a weird crush on Jeffrey and TK. With Malkin soon back and Duper probably moving on the third line, i won't even be surprised if Beau is sent back at WBS.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
CV . . . all season, I was asking if Shero was risk averse as a GM. The record of the last few years did support that. Well, the second he made the Morrow for Morrow move, I said he was all in this year and including on Iginla. I am convinced that Feaster asked for Pouliot and a 1st (yes, Iginla's role helped lower the price as much as salesmanship).

BUT, here's where this becomes a joke: Somehow, suggesting that in Shero had been a little risk averse became the equivalent in the little minds here of people saying Shero was a horrible GM. THAT is just beyond dumb but not unexpected.

You were not alone, BTW, in wondering last night if this wouldn't turn out like Hossa 2.0. ;)

Here's the funny thing... there's practically no risk in the Murray and Iginla trades in my mind. I make those trades 100% of the time. It's the Morrow trade that has risk, and only because I love the player we lost and loathe the player we got.

But Shero has been ****ing balls, man.

zoomzoom

Jul 1, 2006
any chance of Iggy signing a contract extension? When can they start that process if possible?

Sutter16

Aug 17, 2012
Pittsburgh,PA
This lineup is so damn stacked now. We can roll something like this out there.

Kunitz Crosby Iginla
Morrow Malkin Neal
Bennett Sutter Dupuis
Cooke Vitale Adams

Those are my lines. If Morrow doesn't work out with Malkin, move Beau Bennett up to the second line and Morrow to the third line.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

I had a vision of Peter Chiarelli this morning as the warden in the Shawshank Redemption, right after Rejean Dufresne Shero escaped from prison with his Iggy.

Cue the voice of Bob McKenzie . . . "I like to think, as he pulled that trigger, that the last thought to go through his mind, other than that bullet, was how in the hell did Ray Shero ever get the better of me". :D

SteelFish87*

Vitale is gonna be scratched and y'all know it. Sad to say, but DB is having a weird crush on Jeffrey and TK. With Malkin soon back and Duper probably moving on the third line, i won't even be surprised if Beau is sent back at WBS.

Yeah, Vitale will probably be scratched but there's no way Jeffrey comes close to cracking this lineup imo

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Here's the funny thing... there's practically no risk in the Murray and Iginla trades in my mind. I make those trades 100% of the time. It's the Morrow trade that has risk, and only because I love the player we lost and loathe the player we got.

But Shero has been ****ing balls, man.

Absolutely.

Let's be honest. This isn't the deal that Feaster wanted. It's the deal that Iginla wanted and Feaster obliged. In a way, I suppose that you've got to give kudos to Shero and ownership for the image they project of the Penguins organization.

SirBrad

Sep 30, 2009
Quoted from the Cryers board:

"Such a shame to see such a classy player go to a classless organization, even though he chose to."

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Crosby_haters_gon_hate.gif

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Absolutely.

Let's be honest. This isn't the deal that Feaster wanted. It's the deal that Iginla wanted and Feaster obliged. In a way, I suppose that you've got to give kudos to Shero and ownership for the image they project of the Penguins organization.

takes balls for Shero to be confident enough that he wanted to come "here" that he didn't panic and add Maatta, Pouiot, etc...

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
No team can handle Duper/Sid/Iggy and Kunitz/Malkin/Neal. That's truly a scenario where teams will have to sell out on Sid and likely still lose the battle while Malkin literally tears teams a new one.

All while having several options for Sutter. Morrow in a third line role is money.

That's my only worry up front . . . Bylsma won't do that. He'll put Kunitz with Sid and Iggy, which makes Geno a question mark potentially depending upon how the musical LW game works out.

Then again, maybe Shero has one more trick up his sleeve . . . :D

Kunitz-Sid-Iggy
???-Geno-Neal
Morrow-Sutter-Dupuis
Cooke-Adams-Bennett (yeah, I know, but you know there's no way).

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
how is Cooke instead of Dupuis more offensive minded?

I guess you could look at it that way. I was looking at it as, Dupuis is the superior defensive F, although technically he's the superior offensive F (compared to Cooke) also.

I really hate your team's captain,

Which one? :D

Well said.

CV . . . all season, I was asking if Shero was risk averse as a GM. The record of the last few years did support that. Well, the second he made the Morrow for Morrow move, I said he was all in this year and including on Iginla. ...

I think we're all one "smilin' buncha motha****ers" right now.

Marcellus.jpg

GLM

Aug 2, 2005
Im imagining all the Penguins fans who went to bed already and are going to wake up with Iginla. So jealous heh. The games look to be very entertaining though

that was me!! I watched nhl network till midnight. weekes was talking to bostons play by play guy about line combos in boston. figured it was over.

got up at 645 50 text messages! UNREAL!!! shero is a baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad man!!!

IN SHERO WE TRUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

im still in shock...like Christmas morning for a 34 yr old die hard pens fan. I cant wait to tell my 5 yr old!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad