Rumor: Penguins interested in Zucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
I’d rather the pens try to get another cup with crosby and Malkin and be **** for a few years than keep some late firsts.
Right, and I get that. I think the Pens have a great shot at the cup for another couple of years. I am a bit out of the loop- do the Pens have injuries to main players currently, and if so, will they return this year for the PO's?

I think if the answer is yes, the Pens seem to have everything they need to make a run without giving away 1sts.

Reactions: Hamurai

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
If Hallander and a 4th is the best Pittsburgh would offer, they’ll be outbid for Zucker’s services. Pittsburgh can keep their future 3C.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
from the latest 31 thoughts podcast it sounds like Pittsburgh wants him but Minnesota isn’t in a hurry to trade him. But there is a possible trade if Wild want to trade him. At least that’s what I got out of it.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
from the latest 31 thoughts podcast it sounds like Pittsburgh wants him but Minnesota isn’t in a hurry to trade him. But there is a possible trade if Wild want to trade him. At least that’s what I got out of it.
The wild are looking to add for a playoff push

Reactions: Hamurai

Gfroer

Jan 6, 2019
If Hallander and a 4th is the best Pittsburgh would offer, they’ll be outbid for Zucker’s services. Pittsburgh can keep their future 3C.

Hallander and a 4th isnt even close to enough to get Zucker. Using the JT Miller trade as a baseline puts the value around a conditional 1st and a 3rd. Minnesota has less motivation to move Zucker than Tampa did with Miller so that probably bumps the price up as well. 2020 1st and Legare is probably the minimum it would take.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah, the poster above has got it. Even then, there is no rush for MN to trade Zucker. Likely get a better deal, or at least more suitors, in the summer.

Granlund would be a far cheaper, buy low candidate. He is more of a passer than a shooter, and doesn't have Zucker's speed, but if he can get his old mojo back then he'd be a difference maker.

Last edited:

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Can someone tell me what exactly Zucker brings that the Pens have been tied to him so much? Would he excel in our team speed system moreso then his play and system in Minny?

I mean ive watched a few Wild games over the years and he never really stuck out to me but obviously many pens fans really want him as well as GMJR. What exactly am I missing?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Can someone tell me what exactly Zucker brings that the Pens have been tied to him so much? Would he excel in our team speed system moreso then his play and system in Minny?

I mean ive watched a few Wild games over the years and he never really stuck out to me but obviously many pens fans really want him as well as GMJR. What exactly am I missing?

Really fast 30 goal scoring winger. Defensively sound if you’re into that. Not the most physical player but also doesn’t get pushed around at all, sturdy. Definitely more of a north-south player than an east-west. Has decent hands but isn’t really going to use them to beat you, he’s going to use his speed. Also a good character guy, leadership qualities, loves giving back to the community, that kinda stuff. Likely not going to feature heavily on your powerplay, but will definitely help out 5 on 5.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

He's fast, he shoots and he's good at finishing off plays. He's not Selke-caliber or anything, but he's a good defensive player. Good attitude, philanthropist, intangibles, blahblahblah. He's not a playmaker and won't create offense on his own (outside of breakaways), but he helps keep the puck going in the right direction and is good at putting it in the net.

He's a good complimentary player that's kind of been relied on as more than that in Minnesota, with varying levels of success. It's worked okay in the regular season, but he's not a guy that can carry the offense in the playoffs. If you put him with Malkin, Crosby, Guentzel, etc. I have no idea what he'd do. Probably put up about 75 points and make me mad.

Hamurai

Jun 19, 2019
Pittsburgh
Right, and I get that. I think the Pens have a great shot at the cup for another couple of years. I am a bit out of the loop- do the Pens have injuries to main players currently, and if so, will they return this year for the PO's?

I think if the answer is yes, the Pens seem to have everything they need to make a run without giving away 1sts.
Guentzel is the only key loss right now for the forwards. He’s out 4-6 months as of late December.

Pens needed one winger prior to the Guentzel injury since galchenyuk isn’t it. Now they need two.

zucker and Foligno would be great

Reactions: shello

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019

They have some key injuries for sure in jake Guentzel justin Shultz brian dumo etc. The good part is they keep winning so the panic has yet to set in. They should be back for playoffs except Jake who will be a bit later ( end of round 1) . The need for a winger is there though .. saad tofolli etc

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
They have some key injuries for sure in jake Guentzel justin Shultz brian dumo etc. The good part is they keep winning so the panic has yet to set in. They should be back for playoffs except Jake who will be a bit later ( end of round 1) . The need for a winger is there though .. saad tofolli etc

Schultz actually just came off IR

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm not sure if it's worth bumping this thread, but I saw this tweet from Saturday:

This makes me think that the Zucker to Pittsburgh trade is basically agreed upon already, but Guerin just won't do it until the Wild fall out of the playoff hunt. The Wild have a tough schedule coming out of the all-star break with playing Boston, a hot Chicago, Vancouver, Colorado and Dallas in their next 5 games, so we could have some clarity on this situation in about a week and a half.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
I'm not sure if it's worth bumping this thread, but I saw this tweet from Saturday:

This makes me think that the Zucker to Pittsburgh trade is basically agreed upon already, but Guerin just won't do it until the Wild fall out of the playoff hunt. The Wild have a tough schedule coming out of the all-star break with playing Boston, a hot Chicago, Vancouver, Colorado and Dallas in their next 5 games, so we could have some clarity on this situation in about a week and a half.

Zucker still has to approve it! He has a 10 team no trade! His list was submitted in summer so I am guessing no. Guerin isn't probably in a deal with his former team which will make him look bad

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Zucker still has to approve it! He has a 10 team no trade! His list was submitted in summer so I am guessing no. Guerin isn't probably in a deal with his former team which will make him look bad

If Zucker's NTC actually killed this deal, we wouldn't be at this point. It's really clear that Zucker's NTC isn't having an impact here. The deal wouldn't have progressed this far along if there was a guarantee that Zucker's NTC would kill it.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

I'm sure both sides have a good idea of what Pittsburgh's offer will be but I doubt anything's agreed upon. If Guerin decides to trade Zucker he's going to give other teams their chances to bid.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm sure both sides have a good idea of what Pittsburgh's offer will be but I doubt anything's agreed upon. If Guerin decides to trade Zucker he's going to give other teams their chances to bid.

I feel like Russo and Friedman wouldn't be using the language they have used if Guerin was going to do this. I don't know why other teams wouldn't have been making offers for Zucker along with Pittsburgh. I think Guerin should be doing that, but I feel like the talk from the insiders makes me think he has gotten what he thinks is a satisfactory offer for Zucker from JR.

I do think Guerin should make a "last call to beat JR for Zucker", but I'm not sure he will do that. I'm also not sure what kind of impact that would have on GM relationships for a new GM, I feel like you may start pissing off GMs if you do that.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
I think it's pretty well established that Pittsburgh is not on his 10 team.

That hasn't been established at all. No one said that. Why wouldn't it be in it?

He submitted his list in summer when pitt tried to trade for him. Zucker has a family situation which will play a big role.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Unless that’s an intriguing situation to him. He can always waive too.</p>&mdash; Michael Russo (@RussoHockey) <a href="">January 27, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Im not saying they won’t trade him. Just saying he hasn’t been told he’s being traded</p>&mdash; Michael Russo (@RussoHockey) <a href="">January 28, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
Makes sense that Guerin is trying to do right by Zucker and his family after Fenton bumbled his way along in trying to deal him a year ago. Zucker on Pitt could be really nice.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I feel like Russo and Friedman wouldn't be using the language they have used if Guerin was going to do this. I don't know why other teams wouldn't have been making offers for Zucker along with Pittsburgh. I think Guerin should be doing that, but I feel like the talk from the insiders makes me think he has gotten what he thinks is a satisfactory offer for Zucker from JR.

I do think Guerin should make a "last call to beat JR for Zucker", but I'm not sure he will do that. I'm also not sure what kind of impact that would have on GM relationships for a new GM, I feel like you may start pissing off GMs if you do that.
Many teams have their scouting meetings in mid-January, so the overall picture of who's targeting whom just starts to come into focus around this time. Rutherford hasn't been shy about showing his cards, partly because his needs are so obvious and partly because he isn't exactly the coy type, but that's not typical. We have a pretty good idea of what Pittsburgh would be offering (a 1st, maybe a moderate add, and possibly Galchenyuk as some expiring cap), but little idea what other teams have on the table. If it ends up being Pittsburgh's 1st against Colorado's or Edmonton's.... I mean, they're all good teams but I know which one I'd bet on going deep this year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Many teams have their scouting meetings in mid-January, so the overall picture of who's targeting whom just starts to come into focus around this time. Rutherford hasn't been shy about showing his cards, partly because his needs are so obvious and partly because he isn't exactly the coy type, but that's not typical. We have a pretty good idea of what Pittsburgh would be offering (a 1st, maybe a moderate add, and possibly Galchenyuk as some expiring cap), but little idea what other teams have on the table. If it ends up being Pittsburgh's 1st against Colorado's or Edmonton's.... I mean, they're all good teams but I know which one I'd bet on going deep this year.

Yeah, I think this is fair to mention. My guess is that if a deal is already basically agreed upon, it's because JR is including someone in the Penguins prospect pool that Guerin absolutely loves as a prospect along with the 1st. If it's just JR offering what Guerin thinks is fair, Guerin may do a last call for another team to beat JR for Zucker. If JR is offering a prospect that Guerin is in love with from his time as assistant GM with the Penguins, why bother doing that?

I think Dave Molinari would release the Penguins prospect pool rankings every January up until this year, where he interviewed Guerin and the list was Guerin's opinions on the prospect pool. The 2019 list, which was Guerin's last in Pittsburgh, had Bjorkqvist as #1 (out for the year due to injury), Pavlychev at #3 and Angello at #4. Angello also coincidentally got called up to Pittsburgh today. If JR offered Guerin a 1st and Bjorkqvist, who's a prospect that Guerin absolutely loves, would Guerin really bother trying to let another team beat that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad