Rumor: Penguins interested in Zucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Wild fans can give me their opinions if they want, but as an outsider, I don't feel like Zucker is a piece you insist on keeping if you need to retool and I honestly have no clue how Guerin can look at the Wild and think they need anything but a retool. I don't know that the Penguins have what Guerin would want for Zucker (they do have pieces that Guerin likes, but maybe not in a Zucker trade), but I feel like Guerin needs to just rip the band-aid off and try to retool.

The Wild aren't close to being a cup contender, so if Guerin's goal is to win a cup as a GM, I don't know why he'd sit on assets like Brodin and Zucker. To me, those are the exact kind of guys you try to move if you're retooling. They're complementary pieces on contenders, but for retooling teams, they have more value as trade chips than as players. Not only that, but I think Zucker and Brodin are also very replaceable for the Wild, considering Suter, Dumba and Spurgeon is a great top-3 D group and they have Kaprizov coming next year.
That’s the exact reason I would keep Zucker to play with Kaprizov.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
After hearing that his wife can't move with him is trading Zucker away from her the right move? The guy is going to have to live away from his family for 7-8 months a year for 4 seasons and im sure will spend every break possible flying back to be with them (rightfully so) instead of being able to bond with the guys here. Trading for Jason Zucker the hockey player would be great, he looks to be a perfect fit for the Pens on the ice but his situation makes me want my team to have no part in separating his family.
The two of them have been substantially less melodramatic about it than fans have.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Foligno has been playing very well for the Wild. He's an elite 4th liner, but can also play as high up as the 2nd line, as long as it is understood that he is the guy doing the dirty work. I would want a 2nd+ for him. He has been one of the wild's best forwards this year-sad but true.

I would trade Zucker, but I would want a 1st in the mid teens, or that value. Newhook would be perfect. I suspect that Guerin is hyper aware that if he does a trade with his old team that it will be put under the microscope. We are not Vegas!

Galchenyuk...man, has his value fallen.

Oh, and Brodin is the sort of guy you don't let go. I know his boxscores don't jump out at you, but he is the sort of player that you build a defense around. Suter is slowing defensively, and Spurgeon will in a couple few years. You need his speed, defense and breakout ability.

Last edited:

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
I think this is fair, but on that same token, why keep those players if they can be replaced internally and have it not make a huge difference? To me, pointing out that Zucker and Brodin can be replaced internally by Soucy and Donato, with realizing that they make a lot of money and have high trade values, is all of the justification I need to trade Zucker and Brodin. Considering the Wild are not contending right now and those two are replaceable, I feel like their trade value vastly outweighs their on-ice value, even if their trade value only brings back things they already have (high draft picks and prospects).

From an outsider's perspective, the justification for moving Zucker and Brodin is that they're replaceable and valuable. They're more valuable as trade chips than as players because the Wild aren't contenders and they can internally fill the spots that these two leave if they get moved. I feel like that is a stronger argument for moving them than pretty much any argument you can make against moving them.

Brodin is replaceable? Yeah as an outsider your take on this is wrong so wrong. Brodin is a legit stud d. The only reason to move him is yo get a top 6 c young prospect & 1 st round pick along with other pick. Brodin value is greater to wild than trading him

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Brodin is replaceable? Yeah as an outsider your take on this is wrong so wrong. Brodin is a legit stud d. The only reason to move him is yo get a top 6 c young prospect & 1 st round pick along with other pick. Brodin value is greater to wild than trading him

Brodin is "replaceable" in the context that the Wild's top-3 defense is absolutely stacked, where they can go light on their #4D and still have a really strong D group. It's the same way that Zucker is "replaceable", because you can slide someone like Donato into the spot and not have a substantial decline. They're both really good players, but with who else the Wild have on their roster and the state of the team, I'd argue their trade value is higher than their value as players to the Wild.

I'd be much more picky with moving Brodin, because you don't have a Kaprizov on defense that's going to push for NHL minutes next year (although Soucy looks intriguing), but "replaceable" does not mean "bad" here. It's the same way that a Penguins fan can say that Murray is "replaceable" because they have Jarry as the backup.

Hockeyfan200

Jun 15, 2019
Brodin is "replaceable" in the context that the Wild's top-3 defense is absolutely stacked, where they can go light on their #4D and still have a really strong D group. It's the same way that Zucker is "replaceable", because you can slide someone like Donato into the spot and not have a substantial decline.

I'd be much more picky with moving Brodin, because you don't have a Kaprizov on defense that's going to push for NHL minutes next year (although Soucy looks intriguing), but "replaceable" does not mean "bad" here. It's the same way that a Penguins fan can say that Murray is "replaceable" because they have Jarry as the backup.

If you have watch Soucy, he has come down to earth and is struggling. Dumba is literally in 3rd pair to get him confidence! Dumba is literally trash on defense.

Donato can't play offense or defense! He gets bullied, pushed around because he's small & skinny. Donato is being benched. What does that tell you? Rask is playing over donato

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If you have watch Soucy, he has come down to earth and is struggling. Dumba is literally in 3rd pair to get him confidence! Dumba is literally trash on defense.

Donato can't play offense or defense! He gets bullied, pushed around because he's small & skinny. Donato is being benched. What does that tell you? Rask is playing over donato
Dumba hasn't been on the 3rd pairing for weeks.

Literally.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Dumba is having a bad year, but I'm pretty confident in saying that he's a good #3 OFD who's just having a bad year. In the 2 years before this year, he was putting up a 50-55 point pace while playing 23 minutes a night with solid analytics.

That tells me Boudreau is an idiot :laugh:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rask plays C, and Donato plays LW(of which MN has a ton of, hence the proposed Zucker trade), so it's not an apples to apples comparison, but Donato is not a significantly better player than Rask, if he is in fact better at all. Rask has settled down a bit in MN, and seems to have got back a bit of confidence. He actually handles and passes the puck pretty well, and has a decent idea of positional play. Donato shows the odd good thing, but has a lot of holes in his game.

There is no doubt that Rask is overpaid for what he is.

PIT seems to be doing really well. Is Zucker really that much of a need for them? Hard to imagine them with Guentzel.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Yeah he has. He was literally playing 3rd pairing lately just to get him confidence!
Look at his shift charts since Jan 4. If he's on the third pairing then so is Brodin.

He's had a rough year and Soucy/Brodin were great for about a month. Once they were less great (around Christmas) Dumba moved back up.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah he has. He was literally playing 3rd pairing lately just to get him confidence!

Yeah, Dumba is on the third pairing and Christian Dvorak has been scratched numerous times in Arizona.

Reactions: Bazeek

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
PIT seems to be doing really well. Is Zucker really that much of a need for them? Hard to imagine them with Guentzel.

Even before Guentzel went down, the Pens ideally needed 1 more legitimate top six scoring winger. With Guentzel down, and with Kahun out with a concussion, it's even more paramount.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Wild fans can give me their opinions if they want, but as an outsider, I don't feel like Zucker is a piece you insist on keeping if you need to retool and I honestly have no clue how Guerin can look at the Wild and think they need anything but a retool. I don't know that the Penguins have what Guerin would want for Zucker (they do have pieces that Guerin likes, but maybe not in a Zucker trade), but I feel like Guerin needs to just rip the band-aid off and try to retool.

The Wild aren't close to being a cup contender, so if Guerin's goal is to win a cup as a GM, I don't know why he'd sit on assets like Brodin and Zucker. To me, those are the exact kind of guys you try to move if you're retooling. They're complementary pieces on contenders, but for retooling teams, they have more value as trade chips than as players. Not only that, but I think Zucker and Brodin are also very replaceable for the Wild, considering Suter, Dumba and Spurgeon is a great top-3 D group and they have Kaprizov coming next year.
You are right and I certainly hope that Guerin sees that this team needs to take a step back and add prices for the future. If he thinks he can just bulldoze through with the same core and make some moves here and there then there is a chance i lose years off my life

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014

No, when Greg Pateryn returned from injury Dumba has been playing on the second pairing with Brodin.
Soucy is still doing well but going from playing with Brodin to playing with Pateryn he just can't take as many chances offensively as he could with Brodin.

Last edited:

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
It’s not happening. It was something that could’ve happened if Kessel had not blocked it because the only place he wanted to go was to Arizona. Even as a Pena fan it’s beating a dead horse at this point. Just look at the first side of this we’d have to further mortgage the further by surely giving up one of our top prospects. And then using money on Zucker we’ll need on RFA’s in the off season it just doesn’t work. Then that on top of Zuckers wife having her custody issues and needing to stay in MN with Zucker also having a partial NTC? It’s a pipe dream. Move on. Even as a Pens fan. Move on.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
It’s not happening. It was something that could’ve happened if Kessel had not blocked it because the only place he wanted to go was to Arizona. Even as a Pena fan it’s beating a dead horse at this point. Just look at the first side of this we’d have to further mortgage the further by surely giving up one of our top prospects. And then using money on Zucker we’ll need on RFA’s in the off season it just doesn’t work. Then that on top of Zuckers wife having her custody issues and needing to stay in MN with Zucker also having a partial NTC? It’s a pipe dream. Move on. Even as a Pens fan. Move on.

And yet we continue to hear that it’s the Pens with still so much interest in him

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And yet we continue to hear that it’s the Pens with still so much interest in him

Yeah for real, there are multiple legit insiders saying that the Penguins really want to get Zucker. Why there are multiple Penguins fans trying to throw water on the idea, I really don't have any idea.

There are some Penguins fans that try to chalk it up as an obsession HFPens has with Zucker, while ignoring that guys like Russo and Friedman are saying that the Penguins want Zucker. Hell, I think the fact that the Penguins traded for Zucker in the off-season should be all you need to know that they still want him now.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah for real, there are multiple legit insiders saying that the Penguins really want to get Zucker. Why there are multiple Penguins fans trying to throw water on the idea, I really don't have any idea.

There are some Penguins fans that try to chalk it up as an obsession HFPens has with Zucker, while ignoring that guys like Russo and Friedman are saying that the Penguins want Zucker. Hell, I think the fact that the Penguins traded for Zucker in the off-season should be all you need to know that they still want him now.

Yeah, I don’t know if a deal will happen or what it could be, but I don’t see how you can deny at this point that the Penguins are trying to get Zucker.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Zucker scored a nice breakaway goal tonight. Having he and a healthy Guentzel playing on the top 6 would be nice.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
any Pens fans know of a player Billy G was instrumental in getting on the team? that would be a good place to start to look as far as trade targets for MIN go right now I'd think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->