Rumor: Penguins interested in Zucker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From Russo:

Wild's ongoing slide raises frustrations — and questions...

He has said that the Penguins are interested in 2 different articles in the last week, and he was also the guy who broke the (sadly failed) Zucker for Kessel deal in the off-season. I do think it's fairly likely that Zucker put Pittsburgh on his NTC after their failed attempt at acquiring him (since he doesn't want to leave Minnesota), but the fact that the Penguins made a failed deal for him before and they have a clear need for a winger just like him makes him a very logical target for the Penguins.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
From Russo:

Wild's ongoing slide raises frustrations — and questions...

He has said that the Penguins are interested in 2 different articles in the last week, and he was also the guy who broke the (sadly failed) Zucker for Kessel deal in the off-season. I do think it's fairly likely that Zucker put Pittsburgh on his NTC after their failed attempt at acquiring him (since he doesn't want to leave Minnesota), but the fact that the Penguins made a failed deal for him before and they have a clear need for a winger just like him makes him a very logical target for the Penguins.

Galchenyuk, 1st, 2nd for Zucker

Reactions: GoldenSeal

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Galchenyuk, 1st, 2nd for Zucker

Take out the 2nd and that's reasonable. I think you're overvaluing Zucker if you think he has that kind of value.

Zucker was traded last deadline to the Flames for Frolik and "a draft pick", which was probably a 1st or 2nd. The only reason the trade didn't go through was because the Flames management didn't submit the trade in time. Galchenyuk and a 1st is right on par with that, not Galchenyuk, a 1st and a 2nd.

BrookswasHere44

Jun 22, 2009
I'm pretty sure someone could easily point out flaws in this statement but if a player doesn't want to come to a city why keep pursuing it?

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Take out the 2nd and that's reasonable. I think you're overvaluing Zucker if you think he has that kind of value.

Zucker was traded last deadline to the Flames for Frolik and "a draft pick", which was probably a 1st or 2nd. The only reason the trade didn't go through was because the Flames management didn't submit the trade in time. Galchenyuk and a 1st is right on par with that, not Galchenyuk, a 1st and a 2nd.
Galchenyuk + 1st is a good basis, but I still think if Minnesota are really sellers and Zucker is available, Pittsburgh will have some competition in the wingers market since I expect Edmonton, Boston, Calgary, Colorado and Dallas to want to add at this position. I would not be that surprised if a bidding war ensues, pushing the price up... If not with an additional 2nd rounder, maybe a 3rd or B prospect.

Main problem is Zucker has a modified NTC, that could drive the price down if he puts many of those teams out.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Galchenyuk + 1st is a good basis, but I still think if Minnesota are really sellers and Zucker is available, Pittsburgh will have some competition in the wingers market since I expect Edmonton, Boston, Calgary, Colorado and Dallas to want to add at this position. I would not be that surprised if a bidding war ensues, pushing the price up... If not with an additional 2nd rounder, maybe a 3rd or B prospect.

Main problem is Zucker has a modified NTC, that could drive the price down if he puts many of those teams out.
I don't know what is "fair" for Zucker, but I hope Dallas doesn't go for broke for this guy. Seems like your prototypical 20+ goal guy who does a ton of other stuff.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'm pretty sure someone could easily point out flaws in this statement but if a player doesn't want to come to a city why keep pursuing it?
With Zucker I doubt it has anything at all to do with the city or the team and everything to do with trying to stay put. It's been beaten to death, but his wife's gone on the record saying that she and the kids are going to stay put in the Twin Cities if he's traded. She has a daughter from a previous marriage and a custody agreement that would make moving away effectively impossible (and, less importantly, her career's currently tied into the local media ecosystem). His no-trade list is probably driven largely by that.

Russo's said a few times in podcasts that he thinks Pittsburgh's probably on Zucker's list. Personally I think it's more of a coin flip, but it's hard to say.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
With Zucker I doubt it has anything at all to do with the city or the team and everything to do with trying to stay put. It's been beaten to death, but his wife's gone on the record saying that she and the kids are going to stay put in the Twin Cities if he's traded. She has a daughter from a previous marriage and a custody agreement that would make moving away effectively impossible (and, less importantly, her career's currently tied into the local media ecosystem). His no-trade list is probably driven largely by that.

Russo's said a few times in podcasts that he thinks Pittsburgh's probably on Zucker's list. Personally I think it's more of a coin flip, but it's hard to say.

I'd also point out that I don't think the Penguins being on Zucker's NTC is a death blow to Zucker coming to Pittsburgh. If Guerin goes to Zucker and says "look, we're going to trade you and Pittsburgh has the best offer, so would you go there?", I could easily see him saying yes. I think he'd put Pittsburgh on his NTC to try to make him more difficult to trade, not because he wouldn't want to go to Pittsburgh. If it's a "Pittsburgh, which you have on your NTC, Boston, Florida or Dallas", I could easily see him saying yes to Pittsburgh because it's not a super long flight from Minneapolis.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I'd also point out that I don't think the Penguins being on Zucker's NTC is a death blow to Zucker coming to Pittsburgh. If Guerin goes to Zucker and says "look, we're going to trade you and Pittsburgh has the best offer, so would you go there?", I could easily see him saying yes. I think he'd put Pittsburgh on his NTC to try to make him more difficult to trade, not because he wouldn't want to go to Pittsburgh. If it's a "Pittsburgh, which you have on your NTC, Boston, Florida or Dallas", I could easily see him saying yes to Pittsburgh because it's not a super long flight from Minneapolis.
That's effectively my thought with it being a coin flip. If he submitted the list in July there was no way for him to know who'd want to trade for him over the course of the year. The demand for scoring wingers is about as broad as it gets.

If I had been in his shoes I would have written the list to rule out the least geographically convenient teams: all of Canada and whatever US cities require the most annoying connecting flights. I could see the southwest having some appeal despite the distance because (I think) his parents still live in Vegas.

Regardless, you're right: Zucker's list is unlikely to prevent a trade and things may get more malleable if it actually comes to one.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Wasn't Zucker essentially traded for a late 1st and a cap dump last year?
Yeah. That being said, he was in the middle of a Down year and Fenton was trying to move him aggressively. Based on his other moves, it wouldn’t be surprising to think he might’ve left some value on the table just to get players he didn’t like out.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Ideally, Zucker is traded for a mid-1st. Someone like Edmonton comes to mind. If not that, then a center prospect like Newhook, frost, Krebs, Suzuki. If neither of those are in the table, I could see Zucker being moved for a 1st and 2nd.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Wasn't Zucker essentially traded for a late 1st and a cap dump last year?
I don't think Fenton saw Frolik as a cap dump. Our PK was bad and we needed RWs after trading Coyle and Granlund, and Frolik could have helped in both respects. Despite all the chaos the Wild were still sort of sniffing around a playoff spot at the time.

Either way, there are two differences between then and now:

- Zucker's fancy stats were good last year but his production was relatively bad. He's scoring at more like his expected pace this year, which will be relevant to any teams more interested in the "now."

- Fenton had an absolute bug up his *** to trade Zucker, likely to make room for his newer acquisitions (Fiala and Donato). We don't know where Guerin's head is at, but he's probably a less motivated seller.

I don't know if either of those would really drive the price up much, but things to consider.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
andreas johnnson similar player is available
He's not in the same tier than Zucker. Zucker has proven he is a 20+ goals/season player in the NHL at 27 y old. Johnsson has not proven he is yet at 25.

Johnsson won't bring back a first round pick right now. Maybe a 2nd + B prospect, and I'm pretty sure Toronto wants roster players, not picks... And ideally a top 4 defenseman.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
It would be negligent if the Pens weren't still interested in him. With his speed and tenacity he would've fit like a glove, even before Guentzel went down. Now he would be a godsend.

I dont expect it to happen, though. Alot of competitive teams are gonna want a player like him, and I'm sure the price is gonna be high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad