Friedman: Penguins interested in Jack Roslovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Question for Winnipeg fans - what's his off the puck/defensive game like?

DJBiffWPG

May 30, 2018
Maybe for you.
But getting rid of that cancer Trouba for anything half decent was a Win for the Jets

This is a horrible opinion.

He wanted to move south so his fiancé could attend medical school. While he was here he was a top pair defensemen and was a tremendous player for the Jets. He did what he was allowed to do within his rights as a player.

Nov 24, 2006
My point was more so if Chevy had pulled the trigger on Trouba a year or two earlier he probably gets totally different value.

I get the idea that the Jets were competing and they needed a RD, but I think in general it was mismanaged because Chevy has been way too cautious throughout his tenure with the Jets and that’s why they are kind of doing a Minnesota Wild impersonation.
Jets had Trouba for 7 years at an average salary of $2.68 million, and then traded him for a pretty good return. He promptly signed for an astounding $8 million per year in New York.

The Jets had him when he was underpaid, and the NYR have him now that he’s overpaid.

This is very good asset management by Chevy here.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You’ve convinced me. Not sure why anyone is trying to argue with logic like this.

I mean what past trades suggest that Roslovic can bring back a 1st rounder? Can you come up with any examples of that happening?

At Roslovic's age, draft position is completely irrelevant. Roslovic is worth no more than an equally as good player who was a former 7th round pick. Roslovic being taken in the 1st round 6 years ago doesn't mean he still has 1st round value today.

If you look at the history of trades involving 1st round picks straight up or 1st round picks in value, the players going back are almost always better than what Roslovic has shown in the NHL so far. That kind of value gets you guys like Perron (who was traded twice for basically that value) and Athanasiou. Roslovic is more comparable to Milano, Perlini and Fabbri, who were basically traded straight up for depth players.

Last edited:
Reactions: TySmith4Norris

King Woodballs

Captain Awesome
Sep 25, 2007
Your Mind
This is a horrible opinion.

He wanted to move south so his fiancé could attend medical school. While he was here he was a top pair defensemen and was a tremendous player for the Jets. He did what he was allowed to do within his rights as a player.
Call it what ever you want. He was still a cancer on this team regardless of you want to admit it or not.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
After doing some more research on recent trades, I think an absolutely perfect comparison to Roslovic right now is Brendan Perlini in 2019. Before Perlini was traded to Detroit, he had seasons of 21 points in 57 games, 30 points in 74 games and 21 points in 68 games. In total, he had a pace of 19 goals and 30 points per 82 games, which is very comparable to Roslovic's pace of 12 goals and 31 points per 82 games.

In 2019, he was traded to Detroit straight up for Alec Regula, who was a 3rd round pick (#67 overall) in 2018 and was and still is a decent prospect. Perlini had also asked for a trade from Chicago, was 23 at the time of the trade and was a 1st round pick in the past. That makes me think that Legare, a 3rd round pick (#74 overall) from 2019 and was and still is a decent prospect, for Roslovic straight up is pretty much spot on in terms of Roslovic's value.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Well hes better at offense and better at defense, soooooo.

Dont get me wrong id take Roslovic. Have him flank Blueger and Rodriguez/Sceviour on line 4 and be the guy that swiss army knifes around the lineup when people get hurt. But i wouldnt give anything of significant value.

Bottom pair D man and a depth forward maybe. But thats just me.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I mean what past trades suggest that Roslovic can bring back a 1st rounder? Can you come up with any examples of that happening?

At Roslovic's age, draft position is completely irrelevant. Roslovic is worth no more than an equally as good player who was a former 7th round pick. Roslovic being taken in the 1st round 6 years ago doesn't mean he still has 1st round value today.

If you look at the history of trades involving 1st round picks straight up or 1st round picks in value, the players going back are almost always better than what Roslovic has shown in the NHL so far. That kind of value gets you guys like Perron (who was traded twice for basically that value) and Athanasiou. Roslovic is more comparable to Milano, Perlini and Fabbri, who were basically traded straight up for depth players.
Ryan Hartman from Hawks to Preds.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
JR reading a rumor that he’s interested.

upload_2021-1-18_9-31-12.gif

Take a first pick and one of our few good prospects that garbage JR hasn’t yet traded. Hell, you could probably get more after JR the clown willingly took on Matheson’s contract without any retention.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Unless Roslovic can eventually play up to a second line center and be good, the Pens have no need for him. But if one can project him to be that behind Sid, then I would take a flyer on that possibility if the cost of acquiring him is say Riikola.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ryan Hartman from Hawks to Preds.

So you have 1 example of a comparable trade for Roslovic bringing up that value, and then there are like a dozen examples of him not having that kind of value.

I'd also argue that Hartman had shown more in the NHL when he was traded than what Roslovic has shown so far. Hartman was a strong 5v5 producer, he had a 5v5 points/60 of 1.79 with the Hawks prior to being traded. Roslovic is at 1.48 in the last 2 years.

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
So you have 1 example of a comparable trade for Roslovic bringing up that value, and then there are like a dozen examples of him not having that kind of value.

I'd also argue that Hartman had shown more in the NHL when he was traded than what Roslovic has shown so far. Hartman was a strong 5v5 producer, he had a 5v5 points/60 of 1.79 with the Hawks prior to being traded. Roslovic is at 1.48 in the last 2 years.
You asked for an example and you got it. Naturally you want to fight it LOL. Are you being serious right now? Why even bother asking the question?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You asked for an example and you got it. Naturally you want to fight it LOL. Are you being serious right now?

Yes, you gave me 1 example. And then I asked you to tell me why that 1 example holds more weight than the dozens of other examples that suggest he doesn't have that kind of value.

Reactions: RogerRoger

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
After doing some more research on recent trades, I think an absolutely perfect comparison to Roslovic right now is Brendan Perlini in 2019. Before Perlini was traded to Detroit, he had seasons of 21 points in 57 games, 30 points in 74 games and 21 points in 68 games. In total, he had a pace of 19 goals and 30 points per 82 games, which is very comparable to Roslovic's pace of 12 goals and 31 points per 82 games.

In 2019, he was traded to Detroit straight up for Alec Regula, who was a 3rd round pick (#67 overall) in 2018 and was and still is a decent prospect. Perlini had also asked for a trade from Chicago, was 23 at the time of the trade and was a 1st round pick in the past. That makes me think that Legare, a 3rd round pick (#74 overall) from 2019 and was and still is a decent prospect, for Roslovic straight up is pretty much spot on in terms of Roslovic's value.

That sounds fine except your GM traded a 15th overall and a recent 2nd round pick for a third line player in Kapanen a few months ago. Sure, Kapanen has better stats but I would bet Roslovic would score more playing with Tavares and Marner.

That’s fine if you don’t agree. Chevy has no pressure to make a trade for a B prospect and a mid round pick. I can’t imagine Roslovic sitting out a season. He will either be traded for the price Chevy sets or end up signing closer to Feb 11.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That sounds fine except your GM traded a 15th overall and a recent 2nd round pick for a third line player in Kapanen a few months ago. Sure, Kapanen has better stats but I would bet Roslovic would score more playing with Tavares and Marner.

That’s fine if you don’t agree. Chevy has no pressure to make a trade for a B prospect and a mid round pick. I can’t imagine Roslovic sitting out a season. He will either be traded for the price Chevy sets or end up signing closer to Feb 11.

"Sure Kapanen isn't at all comparable because he's way more proven than Roslovic, but I can make up a hypothetical scenario to argue that he has that kind of value"

JR also heavily overpaid for Kapanen based on the thought that he can be a top-6 forward in Pittsburgh. That doesn't mean every player he's going to trade for is going to involve an overpayment.

Reactions: JTG

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
"Sure Kapanen isn't at all comparable because he's way more proven than Roslovic, but I can make up a hypothetical scenario to argue that he has that kind of value"

JR also heavily overpaid for Kapanen based on the thought that he can be a top-6 forward in Pittsburgh. That doesn't mean every player he's going to trade for is going to involve an overpayment.

I agree with that but JR has a bit of a reputation for overpays. If he thinks Roslovic could take a step playing with Crosby or Malkin, he may do so again.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Also why are people pretending that Roslovic didn't play with good players in Winnipeg? He spent over half of his 5v5 ice time last year with Ehlers, he had more ice time with Ehlers (483:33) than ice time without Ehlers (452:00) at 5v5. In fact, his most common line combination from last year was Ehlers-Roslovic-Wheeler, which is just as good, if not better, than the best linemates Kapanen had in Toronto.

It's also worth pointing out that Kapanen had more ice time with Kerfoot at 5v5 (258:06) than Matthews (101:34) or Tavares (187:04).

I agree with that but JR has a bit of a reputation for overpays. If he thinks Roslovic could take a step playing with Crosby or Malkin, he may do so again.

I don't think the Penguins would be acquiring Roslovic to play with Crosby or Malkin, though. JR definitely overpaid for Kapanen based on what he thought he could be here, but the Penguins have Rust and Kapanen in their top-6 as RWers now. I imagine Roslovic would be acquired as a 3rd line RWer to play with McCann and Jankowski.

What makes it worse is that they'd also have to protect Roslovic in the expansion draft if they paid a huge price for him, which means probably McCann would be left exposed. I don't think the expansion draft is a big deal, but if the Penguins pay a lot for Roslovic, they'd feel obligated to protect him based on what they paid for him.

Last edited:
Reactions: RogerRoger

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
My point was more so if Chevy had pulled the trigger on Trouba a year or two earlier he probably gets totally different value.

I get the idea that the Jets were competing and they needed a RD, but I think in general it was mismanaged because Chevy has been way too cautious throughout his tenure with the Jets and that’s why they are kind of doing a Minnesota Wild impersonation.

We made the WCF. We don't do that if we don't have Trouba. Didn't make much sense to trade him RIGHT after that if we were trying to repeat that success.

Reactions: Guffman

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Yes, you gave me 1 example. And then I asked you to tell me why that 1 example holds more weight than the dozens of other examples that suggest he doesn't have that kind of value.
You asked. You received. You backtracked. You clearly aren’t looking for reason. You are simply arguing a point of view to death regardless of the facts that fly in the face of your own standard.

I didn’t see your dozens of examples. Please list them for me.

Pongs21

It's not delivery, it's Sports Desk
Jul 18, 2011
Halifax
With lack of assets available from PIT it's hard to gauge a return that's fair value

Reactions: BHD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad