Friedman: Penguins interested in Jack Roslovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You're right, sorry. Need to read db better, lol.

My point remains, Perlini has fewer points than Roslovic that year and hadn't really progressed. Also, hard to assess that trade just yet, Regula is still only 20.

My point with comparing it to Perlini wasn't to say that Perlini brought back nothing. I think Regula is a good prospect. I'm not trying to say Roslovic has no value in here, I'm just trying to say he doesn't have the value of a 1st rounder.

My expectation for his return is a late 2nd or equivalent prospect or collection of futures. Something like Legare and Aston-Reese for Roslovic seems fairly reasonable to me, I don't know if that really addresses a need for Winnipeg but it looks fair in value.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I don't understand the point of this.

Top 6 is set with no glaring holes for the first time in forever. Maybe shuffle the wing pairs but the personnel are fine.

Guentzel Crosby Kapanen
Zucker Malkin Rust

The third line has been the Pens best line by a country mile over the first three games of the season. There is no reason to break them up. I wouldn't even talk to them right now to be honest. Dont even look at them. Just let them keep doing their thing.

McCann Jankowski Tanev

The 4th line has been OK, plus coach's pet Aston-Reese will be back from shoulder surgery soon, plus would you really lay out assets to improve L4, especially this early?

Lafferty Blueger Sceviour

So tell me now, where does Roslovic fit? There are no obvious players to replace or demote.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Yakupov: pace of 16 goals and 36 points per 82 games with the Oilers, was a former #1 overall pick, traded for a conditional 3rd and a throw-in player
Perlini: pace of 19 goals and 30 points per 82 games with the Coyotes and Hawks, was a former #12 overall pick, traded for a 3rd
Milano: pace of 14 goals and 30 points per 82 games with the Jackets, was a former #16 overall pick, traded for a rental 3rd liner having a bad year
Fabbri: pace of 16 goals and 37 points per 82 games with the Blues, was a former #21 overall pick, traded for a 4th liner
Baertschi: pace of 10 goals and 35 points per 82 games with the Flames, was a former #13 overall pick, traded for a 2nd

Roslovic: pace of 12 goals and 31 points per 82 games with the Jets, was a former #25 pick

You can convince me that a late 2nd for Roslovic is fair, but that's about the max I'd be willing to say is fair based on precedent. There are scores of comparable players to Roslovic, whether you want to look at exact comparable (like the 5 I mentioned above) or even just remote comparables (like comparing him to Nathan Beaulieu, who was traded for a 3rd after 3 seasons of being a good bottom pair D), that suggest his return is in the 2nd-3rd range than anything higher than that.
You think Fabri, coming off major knee injuries and couldn’t get more than 10 minutes/game in St.Louis is a fair comparison? More crap at the wall.

Reactions: hn777

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Wow, you're really desperately grasping at straws at this point to try and attempt to justify your argument. I'm not sure what world you live in that you think Roslovic is going to return a first round pick. Its also hilarious how you keep asking the other poster to provide examples, then when he does, you simply disregard them.
I don’t know why you are so upset when the obvious is pointed out. It wasn’t “disregarded”, it was debunked. He’s just throwing random names out with zero knowledge of the players or the trades.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
The only way I see Roslovic coming in is if Rust is going out in a shakeup move. Kapanen just got here, Tanev has been our best player on our best line, so he goes nowhere and stays with his guys, and Roslovic isn't coming here to play on the 4th.

I really hope they aren't trying to do a wake up the team trade after 3 games.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The only way I see Roslovic coming in is if Rust is going out in a shakeup move. Kapanen just got here, Tanev has been our best player on our best line, so he goes nowhere and stays with his guys, and Roslovic isn't coming here to play on the 4th.

I think it's very possible that they initial have Roslovic with Blueger and Sceviour to start, and when the 3rd line cools down, they bump Roslovic up to play with McCann and Jankowski and reunite Blueger and Tanev. Basically just replace Rodrigues with Roslovic.

I think the Penguins will basically have 2 3rd lines in terms of usage anyway, so I don't think it makes a huge difference. Roslovic does bring some elements that Jankowski and McCann need from their RWer.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I think it's very possible that they initial have Roslovic with Blueger and Sceviour to start, and when the 3rd line cools down, they bump Roslovic up to play with McCann and Jankowski and reunite Blueger and Tanev. Basically just replace Rodrigues with Roslovic.

I think the Penguins will basically have 2 3rd lines in terms of usage anyway, so I don't think it makes a huge difference. Roslovic does bring some elements that Jankowski and McCann need from their RWer.
If you say so. I can't claim to be an expert on the player. How is roslovic's one timer? If we go get a RHS RW, he should be capable of setting up in Kessel's old spot on the PP. Rust there isn't a good fit.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Lol are you serious?
The Jets are trading an asset, not trying to make the value bar equal in NHL 21.
Not sure why the lol and no idea what your post means after that, as I don't play video games. But seems like a fair trade to me.

Hamurai

Jun 19, 2019
Pittsburgh

Yeh from what’s been reported, this isn’t a PLD situation where he wants out, roslovic wants a top 6 role and he wouldn’t have that with the pens right now.

the pens would need to speak with roslovic/lemeiux to discuss his role, which would have to be bottom 6 until injuries/poor play allowed him to move up. He’d have to accept that otherwise I can’t see how there’s a deal to be made regardless of his value.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If you say so. I can't claim to be an expert on the player. How is roslovic's one timer? If we go get a RHS RW, he should be capable of setting up in Kessel's old spot on the PP. Rust there isn't a good fit.

I think Roslovic is fairly similar to Simon from what I've read. He'd basically just be replacing Rodrigues in terms of role and usage IMO.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

roslovic is sitting out because he wants to play higher in the line up. you think he would go to pitt and sign to play 4th line?

also jank and Tanev are what make the third line go. They have great chemistry and are good friends. You don’t break that up.

Reactions: Hamurai

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
roslovic is sitting out because he wants to play higher in the line up. you think he would go to pitt and sign to play 4th line?

also jank and Tanev are what make the third line go. They have great chemistry and are good friends. You don’t break that up.

Then go with McCann-Blueger-Roslovic and Sceviour-Jankowski-Tanev then if you don't want to split up Jankowski and Tanev. I don't really see the issue here.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Then go with McCann-Blueger-Roslovic and Sceviour-Jankowski-Tanev then if you don't want to split up Jankowski and Tanev. I don't really see the issue here.

I do. He wants to play top 6. He wants a bigger role. He isn’t gona get that here unless rust goes the other way

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I do. He wants to play top 6. He wants a bigger role. He isn’t gona get that here unless rust goes the other way

All of the indications I've read aren't this:

Yet, that hasn’t produced any more job security for Roslovic. The versatile forward continues to be penciled in for a bottom-six role, has been the long-time subject of trade talks, and has not received a long-term offer to his liking. For some time now, it has been reported that Roslovic has bought in to his own trade speculation and lack of an identifiable role and would prefer a change of scenery.

It's not "I'm refusing to sign unless I get a top-6 role", it's more "I'm refusing to sign because it doesn't seem like you guys are committed to me".

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
All of the indications I've read aren't this:

It's not "I'm refusing to sign unless I get a top-6 role", it's more "I'm refusing to sign because it doesn't seem like you guys are committed to me".

Right but all of that is the same. He would have to be protected in Pitt? Would you protect him over Rust/TB/Tanev/McCann?

He most likely wouldn't get power play time. Maybe not even penally kill. He would be tossed around between line three and four. How is that commitment to him?

Again unless they trade Rust for him or in a separate trade I don't see why he would want to sign.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Right but all of that is the same. He would have to be protected in Pitt? Would you protect him over Rust/TB/Tanev/McCann?

He most likely wouldn't get power play time. Maybe not even penally kill. He would be tossed around between line three and four. How is that commitment to him?

Again unless they trade Rust for him or in a separate trade I don't see why he would want to sign.

He probably would get powerplay time as the center on the 2nd PP unit. He'd just be replacing Rodrigues' current role, which is a 3rd line RW that subs into the top-6 when there's an injury to a top-6 RWer and also a guy on the 2nd PP unit.

Not showing "commitment" is juggling him between being in the lineup and being scratched and hearing his name in trade rumors. I highly doubt he'd be refusing to sign with the Jets right now if he only was mad about not getting top-6 minutes.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
He probably would get powerplay time as the center on the 2nd PP unit. He'd just be replacing Rodrigues' current role, which is a 3rd line RW that subs into the top-6 when there's an injury to a top-6 RWer and also a guy on the 2nd PP unit.

Not showing "commitment" is juggling him between being in the lineup and being scratched and hearing his name in trade rumors. I highly doubt he'd be refusing to sign with the Jets right now if he only was mad about not getting top-6 minutes.

I don't agree. I think 2nd pp should be McCann, Kap, Zucker, Marino, Riikola. McCann at center with Kap and Zucker on the wings. And again what do you do come expansion draft?

Either way, I just do not see a clear fit with the pens. I think it was just rumors based on their start and the fact that JR is an easy target for trade rumors.

Hamurai

Jun 19, 2019
Pittsburgh

An opportunity for a top 6 role is what was reported in the sportsnet tweet/article discussing the pens interest. That’s why people think it.

Penguins 'very interested' in acquiring Jack Roslovic from Jets - Sportsnet.ca

if that’s not the case and he would accept a bottom 6 role then great. Depending on the price, both in terms of acquiring and then signing him, he would definitely upgrade the depth of the team.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Tell me about Blais.

I feel like the deal makes sense for both team

Both player have similar value, Roslovic could replace Bozak as the third line center moving forward and Winnipeg needs to get some sandpaper back... They lost their identity of a big and tough team to play against with the leaving of Byfuglien, Trouba, Lemieux and Chiarot.

Copp - Lowry - Blais would be a nightmare to play against.

Last edited:

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL

When was he a scratch for the Jets? He played in the top 6 for half of last season when Wheeler was the second line center.

His issue is 100% about getting opportunities in the top 6 based on all reports. He wants to be able to earn a bigger contract next time. I haven't read anything to suggest he's asking for too much money this time or that he has any other problems than a lack of top 6 opportunity.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
You forgot 2015

Traded a 1rst for David Perron who had the remainder of the year and the next year.

Fact is JR never traded a first for a rental or unsigned player. Roslovic is and RFA but people act like JR just throws out first.

Indeed. 1st for Perron, then Perron for Hagelin. I could have included that trade and probably should have but I just started with Cup years arbitrarily.

I'm not sure what the point of this is, Roslovic has 4 years of control and wouldn't be expensive to sign...

Anyway, I don't think Roslovic is worth a 1st. Probably a second and maybe a minor prospect add, but the Jets have no reason to trade him if the offer isn't worth it, he's costing us literally nothing sitting at home.

I'll break it down easier: Perron, Kessel, Brassard, Zucker, Kapanen (all with sign, multi-season contracts at good value)...and now Roslovic? One of those is not like the other. Contract length and "impact now" was the point. At this time, Roslovic has neither.

I don't understand the point of this.

Top 6 is set with no glaring holes for the first time in forever. Maybe shuffle the wing pairs but the personnel are fine.

Guentzel Crosby Kapanen
Zucker Malkin Rust

The third line has been the Pens best line by a country mile over the first three games of the season. There is no reason to break them up. I wouldn't even talk to them right now to be honest. Dont even look at them. Just let them keep doing their thing.

McCann Jankowski Tanev

The 4th line has been OK, plus coach's pet Aston-Reese will be back from shoulder surgery soon, plus would you really lay out assets to improve L4, especially this early?

Lafferty Blueger Sceviour

So tell me now, where does Roslovic fit? There are no obvious players to replace or demote.

I tend to agree. With how the 3rd line has looked, I'm not sure I see an immediate need for Roslovic at the moment unless they want to be able to upgrade an existing bottom 6 player like ZAR. ZAR for Roslovic seems like a decent swap if Roslo refuses to sign. Then you can rotate Lafferty, Sceviour, and Roslovic around Bleuger, or hell, maybe Roslo outperforms Bleuger and you stick him at 4C.

With how McCann-Jankowski-Tanev looks, I'm not convinced there is a pressing need to spend assets to bring in Roslovic. Jankowski has been a bit of a surprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad