Friedman: Penguins interested in Jack Roslovic

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
Your statement has made me look at Roslovics peers from previous drafts at #25

2013 Michael McCarron almost entire career at the AHL level
2014 Pasternak Correct. Pasternak better than Roslovic
2015 Roslovic at #24 Konecny who you could argue has had more success. at #26 Juulen not better than Roslvoic
2016 Riley Tufte at #25 has never played a game in the NHL
2017 Ryan Poehling hasn't done anything in the NHL unless you think 28 games in 3 seasons and 5 points a success

At the #25 OA spot it seems to be a very 50/50 chance of being good enough to play at the NHL level on any line.
Roslovic is still good enough to play at the NHL level middle 6. Considering there are almost just as many busts as there are success stories, it would be hard to argue against Roslovic not being worth a late 1st round pick in a trade.
A first round pick, even late ones, should play top 6 F or top 4 D at their best.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Your statement has made me look at Roslovics peers from previous drafts at #25

2013 Michael McCarron almost entire career at the AHL level
2014 Pasternak Correct. Pasternak better than Roslovic
2015 Roslovic at #24 Konecny who you could argue has had more success. at #26 Juulen not better than Roslvoic
2016 Riley Tufte at #25 has never played a game in the NHL
2017 Ryan Poehling hasn't done anything in the NHL unless you think 28 games in 3 seasons and 5 points a success

At the #25 OA spot it seems to be a very 50/50 chance of being good enough to play at the NHL level on any line.
Roslovic is still good enough to play at the NHL level middle 6. Considering there are almost just as many busts as there are success stories, it would be hard to argue against Roslovic not being worth a late 1st round pick in a trade.

The argument you're making is 100% not an argument for Roslovic having that kind of value. You're using the argument of "1st round picks bust, therefore Roslovic has the value of a 1st", but that's not at all indicative of the value 1st round picks have.

Does say Brandon Tanev have the value of a late 1st rounder? A 1st rounder only has a 50/50 chance of being better than him, so why wouldn't he have that kind of value? What about Matheson? He was a former 1st rounder too and it's not a guarantee that a 1st rounder would become as good as him.

Draft position becomes completely irrelevant the second after the player gets drafted. Roslovic doesn't have the value of a 1st rounder more than any other 30 point 23 year old player. Actual trades put a 1st rounder at higher value than Roslovic.

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Tanked Trouba’s value? He is a $6M D who is being paid $8M. Plus we got Heinola and Pionk in trade. Value seems high to me. Even if Trouba wanted to stay with the Jets Chevy wasn’t going to over pay for him.

I wouldn’t say we won that trade outright. We lucked into Heinola dropping to us. Pionk is a viable replacement but not as physical and I’m not sold on him. That said If anyone “tanked” Troubles value it was his agent limiting our trade options to one team.

Nickel eye Heel hers

Happy thoughts
Feb 12, 2016
granola island, BC
The argument you made to a previous poster was that Jack Roslovic hasn't produced at the same rate as previous 25OA picks. I simply showed you were wrong and on average he has or better. Which is why I named the players picked at #25 OA from previous drafts.

For the second part of your comment, saying that he is no longer has a value of a late first based on the points produced while playing in the NHL, I'll give you the possibility of being correct with the caveat that Roslovic is stuck on the 3rd line behind players like Laine, Ehlers, Statsny, Connor, Wheeler, Scheifele. It's hard to produce points on a shut down line on the 3rd pairing on any team. He has little chance of bumping someone off the top 6 line like the forwards listed. It doesn't mean he's not capable of more, simply stuck on a line he can't move up from.

Removed from PM shut down line which Tanev also played, Roslovic should be able to play a 2nd line high tempo game.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
The argument you made to a previous poster was that Jack Roslovic hasn't produced at the same rate as previous 25OA picks. I simply showed you were wrong and on average he has or better. Which is why I named the players picked at #25 OA from previous drafts.

For the second part of your comment, saying that he is no longer has a value of a late first based on the points produced while playing in the NHL, I'll give you the possibility of being correct with the caveat that Roslovic is stuck on the 3rd line behind players like Laine, Ehlers, Statsny, Connor, Wheeler, Scheifele. It's hard to produce points on a shut down line on the 3rd pairing on any team. He has little chance of bumping someone off the top 6 line like the forwards listed. It doesn't mean he's not capable of more, simply stuck on a line he can't move up from.

Removed from PM shut down line which Tanev also played, Roslovic should be able to play a 2nd line high tempo game.

I like Appleton with Copp and Lowry anyways. They'd have to probably split that line up to accommodate Roslovic in the bottom six.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
What are Roslovic's asks for his contract?

I'm one who feels the Pens don't need more of the same that is 3rd line wingers, and their 3rd line is nothing that needs touched at the moment.

They don't need him at the 4th line either. He won't supplant any of the top six wingers.

Unless it is a clear upgrade in the top nine there's no reason for him.

FunkySeeFunkyDo

Aug 3, 2014
you don’t trade a 1st for Roslovic.

hr likely gets a similar sge player at a different position or a 2nd and a secondary prospect

teams will not trade 1sts now for secondary players
You may not be familiar with
HOFGMJR

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wouldn’t say we won that trade outright. We lucked into Heinola dropping to us. Pionk is a viable replacement but not as physical and I’m not sold on him. That said If anyone “tanked” Troubles value it was his agent limiting our trade options to one team.

My point was more so if Chevy had pulled the trigger on Trouba a year or two earlier he probably gets totally different value.

I get the idea that the Jets were competing and they needed a RD, but I think in general it was mismanaged because Chevy has been way too cautious throughout his tenure with the Jets and that’s why they are kind of doing a Minnesota Wild impersonation.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
My point was more so if Chevy had pulled the trigger on Trouba a year or two earlier he probably gets totally different value.

I get the idea that the Jets were competing and they needed a RD, but I think in general it was mismanaged because Chevy has been way too cautious throughout his tenure with the Jets and that’s why they are kind of doing a Minnesota Wild impersonation.

Chevy did the right thing with Trouba. Jets were big contenders for the Cup. You don’t trade pieces early for purposes of asset management and the expense of a great opportunity.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016

I disagree. Trouba was apart of a top pairing (with Morrissey) on a contender. That conference final run might not happen without him.

To essentially keep him as own rental was fine. To absolutely bend over the Rangers in a trade when they were literally the only team he would sign with was just gravy.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I disagree. Trouba was apart of a top pairing (with Morrissey) on a contender. That conference final run might not happen without him.

To essentially keep him as own rental was fine. To absolutely bend over the Rangers in a trade when they were literally the only team he would sign with was just gravy.
I 100% agree with the first part, and while I’m very happy with the return for Trouba, let’s not get carried away. Trouba is a good player and could have a bounce back year rather easily

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I 100% agree with the first part, and while I’m very happy with the return for Trouba, let’s not get carried away. Trouba is a good player and could have a bounce back year rather easily

yeah pionk had a good year and trouba didnt. probably too soon to say one side got bent over lol

Reactions: TS Quint

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Because McCann is on a good contract and producing on our best line. Also, he’s not holding out and requesting a trade.
Jared McCann has also not scored a goal in like 30 games. (He hasn’t scored in over a year) Additionally, he was a healthy scratch in one of the playoff games

Both players are damaged goods right now.

Reactions: snowkiddin

Classic16

Sep 4, 2016

I agree alot of people dont understand that Roslovic isnt a 3rd liner with 30 points. Hes on the 3rd line because wheeler and laine are higher than him on the depth chart and doesnt get any pp time or as much ice time. He also puts up the better numbers on that 3rd line and his offense doesnt get noticed on a shutdown line. Hes a 2nd line player on most teams. His value is still good.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
The second part is very much a tongue-in-cheek remark after morons endlessly bombarded these boards about how terrible Pionk is and how Chevy got bent over.

A year and a half later and it’s much closer than the brain surgeons on HFBoards would have you believe.

Reactions: Snowman and Dache
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad