Friedman: Penguins have "tested the market" for Kessel

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Possible. Also possible that hes ok with going wherever he feels comfortable and wanted now that hes won two cups, too. Only Kessel knows what his thoughts/feelings would be.
Of course. He may also want to retire with the team that he won a cup with. Certainly lots of possibilities.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
This is true, but Minnesota seems like an incredible fit to acquire him and they're almost definitely on his 8 team list. They were one of the 8 teams on his list in 2015.
Perhaps. Again Kessel didn't want to leave Toronto because he was happy there and it appears he's been just as happy with Pittsburgh. Anything is possible of course but in the past he has used the 8 teams as a way to make it difficult to trade him and I can see him doing that again.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Of course. He may also want to retire with the team that he won a cup with. Certainly lots of possibilities.

Correct - my 'possible' wasnt meant in a condescending way, if it came off that way, i apologize. Just pointing out that things change as people get older. What's important to me now wasnt as important to me 5 years ago, etc.

Id expect him to limit his NTC according to whats important to him, but i wont pretend to know what that is. Maybe he only wants to go to Chicago for all the hot dogs? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Dustin

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Make it happen Fenton. Minnesota is at a point where the window is closing fast and a rebuild is imminent at some point. Shoot some shots soon and the sell off a few years down the line.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
Theres more aspects to hockey than simply just production.. Kessel hurts you in all the other aspects of the game other than offensive production. On top of that hes not an offensive driver (meaning he needs to be given the puck to make something happen) so hes the type of player who could easily hit a sharp decline if he gets traded to the wrong team.

For a player like Kessel to flourish he needs to be surrounded extremely well and play in a system that supports him, you basically have to cater around his playstyle. He's the type of player that needs to be babysat in order for him to be at his best. Put him in the wrong situation and his game will decline in a hurry, I can promise you that much. What are you left with afterwards? Not much. There's always a big risk when trading for a player like Kessel.

I do hope he gets moved so HF could laugh about the Pens getting "fleeced", when in reality Kessel is simply the type of player who GMs just don't value very highly. Teams nowadays are moving away from Spezza/Kessel-esque players. The games changing.

Wasn't Kessel great in both TOR and PITT? Could those teams have been more different? Hasn't he also been effective in both the regular season and playoffs? In NHL and international play (when he's selected)? As far as "needing to surround him with superstars", hasn't he been most successful on the 3rd line in PITT?

He's produced both when he was the sole focus of opposition defense in Toronto, and when he was getting favorable matchups on the 3rd line in Pittsburgh. What more can he prove regarding his versatility?

The ONLY reason why it might be unwise to trade for Kessel is his age. If he declines on a new team it's because guys over 30 only get slower. Any team in the league would improve by acquiring a 27 year old Kessel.

Reactions: Starat327

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Really? Can you provide more info or a link to the video?

I love draft videos. The NHL should make every team do a behind the draft video, and then release them one by one starting like July 7th or something.

I'd be even willing to bet fans would pay like, 5 bucks to see all 31 or something.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Kessel traded for

Raw prospect no one has heard of
Weird player that hasn’t lived up to expectations
1st rd pick

HF slams JR for the trade and laughs

What will happen:

That raw prospect turns out to be very good playing with Crosby then overshadowed elsewhere

That retooling player turns out to be a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman

1st is either traded or they draft someone with no upside.

Either way... everything just seems to workout in PITs favor for trades.

attaamillo

Oct 27, 2014

Wow, really interesting. Obviously its speculation that it was about Kessel though. There was a whole lot of Domi/Pittsburgh talk and Chayka says "I could deal with Jimmy in 24 hours if I wanted to". I don't think Kessel would have waived for Arizona but what do I know.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Wow, really interesting. Obviously its speculation that it was about Kessel though. There was a whole lot of Domi/Pittsburgh talk and Chayka says "I could deal with Jimmy in 24 hours if I wanted to". I don't think Kessel would have waived for Arizona but what do I know.

Well the news around that time was Kessel was willing to waive to play for Tocchet.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
Correct - my 'possible' wasnt meant in a condescending way, if it came off that way, i apologize. Just pointing out that things change as people get older. What's important to me now wasnt as important to me 5 years ago, etc.

Id expect him to limit his NTC according to whats important to him, but i wont pretend to know what that is. Maybe he only wants to go to Chicago for all the hot dogs? :sarcasm:

Nor was I suggesting the only possible outcome is Kessel being difficult to block a trade. In the past he has and as such he could realistically do the same again. However lots of things have changed for Kessel so who knows how he feels now.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I'd be thinking more along the lines of a 3-way trade...

Let's say, Carolina, is going to trade Foegele and a 2nd for Kessel (at $6.8m).

Trade becomes:
To Toronto: Insignificant AHL player
To Carolina: Kessel (@ $8m)
To Pittsburgh: Foegele, Toronto 2nd

Hahahahahahahahhaahhahahaahah

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Carolina should be all over this. They have no one who can score besides their top line and for all of Kessel's weaknesses, putting points up on the board isn't one of them

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I'd be alright with them moving Kessel for a #1D, which probably isn't going to happen. Dude just had a career year last season and has been a monster for us in the playoffs. Can't imagine many moves that would improve the team right now.

He's on pace for 91 points, after all. Get the lowball offers out of here.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The Pens no longer have a logjam at RW.

Maybe he misconstrued a 3c for him on the 3rd line?

But that wouldn't get him any clicks.

Bozak?

Anyways, the day they trade Kessel away is the day they stop contending. They simply would never replace what he brings, and they need another difference maker not swap one for another.

Reactions: Freedom

Apr 9, 2009
USA
odd that the pens are shopping him around then, huh? what gives?

92 point player, good caphit, what incentive would they have to move him if they think hes a good player? are the pens rebuilding? :laugh:

No, it's not odd at all. He's the most valuable asset that would bring back a good return the Pens would be willing to move. But, the only way we would move him is if it made the team better NOW.

Considering he is still a Penguin, that hasn't happened.

That's what gives. It's common sense man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad