Friedman: Penguins have "tested the market" for Kessel

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Yeah I hate how he threw the Penguins/Ducks trade speculation against the wall 2 weeks ago and then those teams did end up making a trade.

Some of you love to hop on the "hate Friedman" bandwagon and don't want to admit he actually has sources on this stuff.

I don't think anyone really doubts that Friedman has some good sources. He used to be one of the best "insiders". He was a great mouthpiece for the GMs and league brass. When he said something, it had some weight to it because you knew it was coming from somewhere. The annoying thing, is that lately, he's been incorporating more and more of his own "musings" and "speculation" to pad out his 31 thoughts, and really obfuscating the truth about what is sources vs his thoughts. The nuggets of information are still in there, being passed along from what he hears from sources...they're just buried in a mountain of stuff he makes up (like Eklund) nowadays.

As to moving Kessel...he's done a lot to rehabilitate his reputation since leaving the Leafs. I think a lot of teams and GMs have seen that he can be a really good, important scoring piece when he's not counted on to be "The Guy". Whether that translates to anyone willing to give up significant assets for him...i'm not so convinced.

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Ya he’s come a long way from when I considered him close to the same level to Bob Mckenzie. Now he’s just looking for clicks and to stir up som buzz
Friedman throwing stuff against the wall again? Hes almost as bad as Eklund sometimes .

Reactions: DJB

Freedom

Jan 23, 2017
Czech republic
For the Pens deal Kessel makes sense just if they are capable to still somehow replace his production and stay to be a contender in Crosby / Malkin era.

Which is very very difficult. Especially if bottom six will be still terrible like they are now.

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
Kessel will never wear the Maple Leaf again. Cmon. You’re all forgiving him? He was my favourite player. Turned on him in December 2014, between the loss the last place Buffalo (6-2?) and Nashville at home (9-2/3)

robes1

Jul 22, 2015
I know it won't happen, but I like to fantasize about some sort of Kessel for Panarin deal, where Panarin resigns in Pittsburgh.

Reactions: Ignatius

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
For the Pens deal Kessel makes sense just if they are capable to still somehow replace his production and stay to be a contender in Crosby / Malkin era.

Which is very very difficult. Especially if bottom six will be still terrible like they are now.
Little bit OT, but do you know how sickening it is for other fanbases that the Penguins are still in the f***ing Crosby and Malkin era. It's been like 12 years of insanity. As hockey fans, you guys are so blessed.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Little bit OT, but do you know how sickening it is for other fanbases that the Penguins are still in the f***ing Crosby and Malkin era. It's been like 12 years of insanity. As hockey fans, you guys are so blessed.
No, I get it. I'm starting a multi year process to prepare myself for when Crosby/Malkin aren't trotting out there as the cornerstone of the franchise. They make any GM's job so much easier. You are never that far away from being a contender with the two of them on your team.

Reactions: keslerburrows

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This is insane that you think Kessel at 8M per is worth either of those. Younger. Cheaper. No chance that is ever entertained by Buffalo

Use the Internet. Kessel 's cap hit is 6.8.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181206-180333_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20181206-180333_Chrome.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 6

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Only one team would have to worry about Kessel at 8 million, so referencing the number is pointless.

Contrarian to be contrarian.

PensRedwings2887

Dec 1, 2010
This is insane that you think Kessel at 8M per is worth either of those. Younger. Cheaper. No chance that is ever entertained by Buffalo

Kessel's caphit maybe 8 million, but Toronto's retaining 1.2 milion, so his current caphit is 6.8 million

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Goligoski
Panik (35%) retained
Protected top 5 1st - If AZ lands a top 5 pick this year then it is a unprotected 2020 1st.
2nd

Kessel
Oleksiak

?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Goligoski
Panik (35%) retained
Protected top 5 1st - If AZ lands a top 5 pick this year then it is a unprotected 2020 1st.
2nd

Kessel
Oleksiak

?

Would you do that if you were the Penguins?

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Hilarious that they're still so many ass-clowns who don't understand how insiders like Freidman work. Speculating is part of their job and as he proved with the Sprong/Pettersson trade, there's usually a good reason for it.

And no, it's not hard at all distinguish when he's speculating and when he's passing along news. Mainly because he openly says what he's doing. Learn how to read.

Not sure why it's so hard to believe the Penguins might move Kessel. There's been soft rumors since he basically got there. Where there's that much smoke, there's probably some fire.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: