Friedman: Penguins have "tested the market" for Kessel

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Theoretically... could the Leafs trade back for him, undo the retention, and give another team a reason to take on his salary at full hit?

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I dont see them moving Kessel. After Crosby and Malkin, he is their best scorer. Considering Crosby and Malkin tend to get injured quite often, they kind of need Kessel. I just think they need to play him with Malkin all the time and stop putting him on the 3rd line...

Reactions: Freedom

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Theoretically... could the Leafs trade back for him, undo the retention, and give another team a reason to take on his salary at full hit?
That would be interesting.
Trade X for Kessel.
Remove the retention.
Trade Kessel for Y.
Lose retention and hopefully recoup most of X with Y.

Granted, I don't know if that would even be allowed.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Friedman throwing stuff against the wall again? Hes almost as bad as Eklund sometimes .
Yeah I hate how he threw the Penguins/Ducks trade speculation against the wall 2 weeks ago and then those teams did end up making a trade.

Some of you love to hop on the "hate Friedman" bandwagon and don't want to admit he actually has sources on this stuff.

Last edited:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Yeah I hate how he threw the Penguins/Ducks trade sxpeculation against the wall 2 weeks ago and then those teams did end up making a trade.

Some of you love to hop on the "hate Friedman" bandwagon and don't want to admit he actually has sources on this stuff.
Of course he has sources. Always has. Problem is he talks too much. Or rather, "thinks" too much. I get it, it's speculation that drives clicks and viewership. Some of us just prefer the more selective types like Bobby Mack and Lebrun

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
Friedman throwing stuff against the wall again? Hes almost as bad as Eklund sometimes .
I hate when people reply like this. Do we want journalists/insiders to tell us whats happening behind the scenes in the NHL or do we only want them to tell us things that are almost certainly going to happen?
Gms talk trades etc with other Gms all the time. Most of the time nothing happens, that doesnt mean there havent been talks about it.

People need to understand the difference between "testing the market", "beeing traded" and everything between the two.

Eklund is another story because he is always wrong so him i agree on.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Kessel, with rare exception, most players are always in conversations between GM's. I do think depending on what the Pens do this year changes will be made and Kessel with a 5.2 million salary left for 3 years will be attractive to someone. It is not like he has never been traded.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Friedman has been validated with his Pens speculation by the trades they've pulled off recently. It's pretty obvious that JR wasn't happy with how the Pens started the season and was exploring all options to kickstart the team. That doesn't mean that Kessel/Murray are going anywhere, but I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised their names are in the rumour mill though.

Reactions: Viqsi

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I hate when people reply like this. Do we want journalists/insiders to tell us whats happening behind the scenes in the NHL or do we only want them to tell us things that are almost certainly going to happen?
Gms talk trades etc with other Gms all the time. Most of the time nothing happens, that doesnt mean there havent been talks about it.

People need to understand the difference between "testing the market", "beeing traded" and everything between the two.

Eklund is another story because he is always wrong so him i agree on.

People want to here about moves that happen constantly, but apparently not what teams may be considering or working on.

Trades and signing are apparently easy to pull off.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00