Salary Cap: Penguins future roster-building (2017-18 and beyond) | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Hornqvist+Maatta+1st in 2018 for an LD dman? then have that Dman plus Alzner next season with Letang/Schultz. Dumo will play 3rd pair with someone. Or maybe we can snag Brodie? Flames fans seemed fine for a Hornqvist for Brodie swap. Then use Maatta to try and get Duchene.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Hornqvist+Maatta+1st in 2018 for an LD dman? then have that Dman plus Alzner next season with Letang/Schultz. Dumo will play 3rd pair with someone. Or maybe we can snag Brodie? Flames fans seemed fine for a Hornqvist for Brodie swap. Then use Maatta to try and get Duchene.

Somehow I doubt that.

CertifiedLurker

Aug 13, 2016
Duchene is a good hockey player. There is a reason why he makes team Canada's A team. He is fast and versatile. In an ugly situation in Colorado and I would bet money is coming to the Eastern Conference this summer. He would be the 3rd best player on the Pens, maybe 4th after a healthy Letang.

No he wouldn't.

Clatartar

Dec 28, 2014
Lose fleury to expansion draft.
Package Maatta and Hagelin for a stud #3 ld.

Sheary Sid Guentzel
Hornqvist G Sprong
Rust UFA Phil
Wilson Rowney Archy
Kuhn

Dumo Letang
Stud Schultz
Pooh Cole
Ruhwedel Hainsey

Murray
Budaj

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Pretty sure they were okay with a Horny+Maatta for Brodie swap, not Horny alone.

I think our defensive strategy for the coming season(s) should be based on the potential recovery of Letang.

If the rest of this window involves a 40 game Letang, we need something more. Wouldn't hate making a Maatta+ trade for another dman, bringing in Alzner, and another bottom pairing guy such as Kulikov, Smith, or Stone.

Dumo-Letang
Alzner-Schultz
Cole-Trade

Considering half the season Letang may be out, it gives us a solid top 4.

With Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Sprong, etc on the cheap, I think we can afford to over extend ourselves on defense if needed.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
No he wouldn't.

Duchene? He really would, though.

He'd be expensive as **** cap-wise and in terms of acquisition, but he's a Hell of a player. Great in all three zones, great at faceoffs, great speed, versatile enough to play all three forward positions.

He'd definitely be our best player behind Sid, Geno and Letang (when he's not sitting out his annual 20 games).

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
This expansion draft really throw a wrench into things, as I'm not sure what we would lose/have to bribe LV with to get out relatively unscathed.

I just think JR has an opportunity in front of him to really blow the window open on this team. It's going to be hard and it's going to take some really shrewd moves. We need a top pair defenseman. We need someone to take more pressure off of Letang, and someone who can really take over for him when he's inevitably injured. Schultz doesn't seem to be that guy. We also could use a trade for another top 6 LW'er.

I'd re-evaluate this core immediately and determine who is in it. I think right now Sid, Geno, Kessel, Guentzel, Letang, Schultz, and Murray represent the core. Anyone is up for grabs who can bring us back the players we need. We have guys in Dumoulin and Maatta who are top 4 defenseman, but are there upgrades there? We have guys like Hagelin and Hornqvist who are top 6 wingers, but are there upgrades there?

I sort of get the feel that there are a lot of teams out there looking for hockey trades.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Pretty sure they were okay with a Horny+Maatta for Brodie swap, not Horny alone.

I think our defensive strategy for the coming season(s) should be based on the potential recovery of Letang.

If the rest of this window involves a 40 game Letang, we need something more. Wouldn't hate making a Maatta+ trade for another dman, bringing in Alzner, and another bottom pairing guy such as Kulikov, Smith, or Stone.

Dumo-Letang
Alzner-Schultz
Cole-Trade

Considering half the season Letang may be out, it gives us a solid top 4.

With Guentzel, Sheary, Rust, Sprong, etc on the cheap, I think we can afford to over extend ourselves on defense if needed.

I get wanting them to play on the bottom pairing... but those guys will not get paid like bottom pairing guys. I bet every one of those guys gets at least 3.5m (probably more) this summer - and that's on a shorter contract (1-3 years).

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
This expansion draft really throw a wrench into things, as I'm not sure what we would lose/have to bribe LV with to get out relatively unscathed.

I just think JR has an opportunity in front of him to really blow the window open on this team. It's going to be hard and it's going to take some really shrewd moves. We need a top pair defenseman. We need someone to take more pressure off of Letang, and someone who can really take over for him when he's inevitably injured. Schultz doesn't seem to be that guy. We also could use a trade for another top 6 LW'er.

I'd re-evaluate this core immediately and determine who is in it. I think right now Sid, Geno, Kessel, Guentzel, Letang, Schultz, and Murray represent the core. Anyone is up for grabs who can bring us back the players we need. We have guys in Dumoulin and Maatta who are top 4 defenseman, but are there upgrades there? We have guys like Hagelin and Hornqvist who are top 6 wingers, but are there upgrades there?

I sort of get the feel that there are a lot of teams out there looking for hockey trades.

Unless we're moving Hornqvist for JVR (or someone with similar term and a similar cap hit) I have a really hard time seeing Rutherford expend assets for another winger - regardless of how good they are. And when looking at pending FA wingers (who have 2 years or less of term left), I don't see very many who might be an option. And then there's the fact that as we've all identified (for a while) our needs are a #3C and help on the blueline - everything else is a want, not a need. And I have a hard time seeing JR go after that when there's other very real needs.

As for the blueline... I think it'll really depend on how these playoffs go. How does Maatta and Daley do? And more importantly, how does Schultz do? And then if things look grim, is that because they're in over their heads, or because they're not a fit or something else? And then how do things look with Letang long term? Is this something where they decide to just wait and see how he's doing come Nov/Dec? Or do they decide to be proactive this summer and maybe look at moving Maatta or Dumoulin for a similar aged D who's perhaps a little older, more expensive but also more mobile who can perhaps help Schultz back fill for Letang when he eventually misses more games. That or go FA shopping. but really there's not all that many D who might be able to help take a load off when Letang is missing games. I know we all mostly accepted that Daley wouldn't be coming back... however this injury might change things. There's not a ton of PM LD in FA, and those that are there probably won't be cheap. Daley would probably be the cheapest guy to get.

There's so many things that they'll need to look at - especially if we're talking about making the hard choice of trading someone like Maatta. I know we may not think too much of it (for the right deal), but that was the first player Rutherford gave a LT extension to, and he's still only 23. I have a really hard time seeing JR jump at trading him.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Of the forwards that aren't FAs, I'd be fine with losing either Hagelin or Hornqvist in a trade. I've gone into detail about why I'd pick Hagelin over Hornqvist, but if a team pressed the issue I'd easily part with either of them for an asset that helps us win now as well as moving forward.

On the blueline, I'm far from married to Maatta long-term. I just think his skating's going to be an issue forever, and that's going to become more and more of a problem as the NHL continues to shift to a more speed-oriented style. You see it whenever we play fast teams, Maatta gets walked with frustrating regularity, he makes questionable decisions with the puck, or he's caught out of position. All of that is tied to his skating. I realize and appreciate that he's not had a chance to have a full, healthy summer to work on it, but I don't think it improves to the point it needs to in order for him to be a part of the core. Even with marked improvement, he's still only going to be a relatively average skater.

Two of the three of those guys (Hagelin, Hornqvist, Maatta) should not be in Penguins sweaters next year. We have a ton of space coming off the books this summer with guys walking, and we can use that to grab a couple of players as well as re-sign our guys. With moving the three guys above, you also have adequate assets to go out and land that top pairing defenseman, that scoring line winger for Geno, or that 3C pivot.

Gonna be an interesting summer. I really think this one is going to set the tone for this team for years to come. Hopefully JR's up to the task. Between potential trade targets, FAs, and young guys already in our system, we're in damn good shape well into the years where Sid and Geno will probably begin to decline.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To make things work, the Penguins would need to make sure Fleury waives so he can go in the Expansion draft, so we don't lose Ian Cole. Otherwise, I can see McPhee trying to make that trade after the season is over and then still go after Cole by giving up a pick or whatever to get MAF and then still have their XD pick.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I'd be very surprised if MAF isn't on Vegas' roster when the expansion draft is over. I'm fairly sure there's already some kind of agreement in place between JR and McPhee. That's why JR showed no urgency in moving him despite a potentially awful buyout situation staring him in the face.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Think Riptide's mentioned a good point there. Rutherford's gonna have to be pretty cold blooded to make some of the trades getting talked about here. And the guys in the organisation advising him aren't known for being cold blooded.

That said he hasn't got much of a choice with the expansion draft. Its 7-3 and trade Maatta (or another dman if so inclined), or 4-4 and start looking at shifting Horny/Hags/Rust.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd see how Maatta plays after he's back and assess whether the team needs to keep him, Dumoulin or Cole. Because Schultz is definitely a need along with Letang. Then it's who do you keep between those 3.

Unless JR has that agreement that McPhee can have Fleury for nothing and they trade him an asset of their choosing (Pouliot for like their 3rd).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The "cold-blooded" point is a good one, actually. It'd have to take moves that don't really fit this team's M.O.

Not that I expect any of this stuff to happen, it's just fun to spitball ideas.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Think Riptide's mentioned a good point there. Rutherford's gonna have to be pretty cold blooded to make some of the trades getting talked about here. And the guys in the organisation advising him aren't known for being cold blooded.

That said he hasn't got much of a choice with the expansion draft. Its 7-3 and trade Maatta (or another dman if so inclined), or 4-4 and start looking at shifting Horny/Hags/Rust.

Even though Kunitz drove me nuts the last couple of seasons and I'm not one to ever root for injuries, Kunitz being out gives this org a big opportunity to see how well Archibald fits, and if that makes Hagelin expendable.

I'm also thinking Cole could be a target of LV, if they are looking to flip guys.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I am pretty sure I've been *****ing about Kunitz for longer than anyone around here, and I haven't been able to stand the guy's play for years, but I will not celebrate his injury. That's ****ed.

I just wish the coaching staff and organization didn't revere him to the point of completely ignoring literal years worth of evidence that he's an awful player.

Whakahere

Jan 27, 2004
Germany
wdnfejgt0wprtmlz6gft.jpg

saw this and had to post it somewhere. nice shot

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I'd see how Maatta plays after he's back and assess whether the team needs to keep him, Dumoulin or Cole. Because Schultz is definitely a need along with Letang. Then it's who do you keep between those 3.

I "might" not protect letang..with his injury and health record and salary, he might be able to slide through the ED.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I "might" not protect letang..with his injury and health record and salary, he might be able to slide through the ED.

There is not an Expansion Draft-eligible player worth protecting over potentially losing Letang for zero return. I'm by no means married to Letang, and sick of his inconsistent play and annual 20 games injured, but potentially losing him for nothing in the Expansion Draft is a horrendous idea of cataclysmic proportions.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
There is not an Expansion Draft-eligible player worth protecting over potentially losing Letang for zero return. I'm by no means married to Letang, and sick of his inconsistent play and annual 20 games injured, but potentially losing him for nothing in the Expansion Draft is a horrendous idea of cataclysmic proportions.

That and he has a NMC so he has to be protected.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

ya, it's a risk......but letang's injury could be career ending. and they [I think] won't be able to have their dr.s check it out. plus if we don't protect him, I would think they would assume the worst.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad