Salary Cap: Penguins future roster-building (2017-18 and beyond) | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
There is zero reason to re-sign Kunitz at this point. I know anything is possible, but can JR really be that stupid? We have plenty of 600K wingers in the system that can fill his spot.

I'd be astonished (pleasantly so) if Kunitz isn't handed a retirement contract this summer.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just to play Devil's Advocate, if (hypothetically) Letang's going to need to be replaced, Hornqvist ain't bringing that guy back.

But again, neither is Kessel. We're just ****ed. :laugh:

Horny wouldn't bring back that kind of guy, but I think he could pull a guy like Martinez pretty easily or Muzzin with a not ridiculous add on the Penguins side.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Horny wouldn't bring back that kind of guy, but I think he could pull a guy like Martinez pretty easily or Muzzin with a not ridiculous add on the Penguins side.

Yeah, I don't disagree that Hornqvist could bring back a good player, but the premise is that Letang's injury is so severe/long-lasting that we're gonna need to move a piece to replace him. I was just saying Hornqvist isn't gonna get that. Hell, nobody on this team is short of Sid or Geno.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why trade anybody period? They just finished a season with the 2nd highest franchise point totals in history largely without Letang available. You pretty much can't replace Letang with a Letang. No one is trading those. Get a solid top 4 dman through FA if its absolutely necessary.

I wouldn't. My point was that even if we wanted to trade Kessel, our options and return would be really limited by the market and his NTC.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, I don't disagree that Hornqvist could bring back a good player, but the premise is that Letang's injury is so severe/long-lasting that we're gonna need to move a piece to replace him. I was just saying Hornqvist isn't gonna get that. Hell, nobody on this team is short of Sid or Geno.

I don't think the Penguins need anything more than a guy like Niskanen or Muzzin if they're concerned with replacing Letang. They just need a top pair guy or a fringe #2/3, but you're right, that wouldn't be cheap. If they're planning ahead without Letang, they should try mimicking the Oilers D (compensate for not having a #1 with having 3 fringe top pair guys).

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I don't think the Penguins need anything more than a guy like Niskanen or Muzzin if they're concerned with replacing Letang. They just need a top pair guy or a fringe #2/3, but you're right, that wouldn't be cheap. If they're planning ahead without Letang, they should try mimicking the Oilers D (compensate for not having a #1 with having 3 fringe top pair guys).

Yeah. People will continue to claim this team's dead in the water without Letang or a bonafide #1, elite d-man, but I think we'd get along just fine without one. All we really need are guys who aren't horrendous in the d-zone who can skate/move the puck up to our forwards.

If we can get Shattenkirk, I'd do it in a heartbeat and flip Letang. Shattenkirk isn't as good as Letang when 58's at his best, but I'll take the guy who isn't gonna miss 20 or so games a season and be terribly inconsistent for another 10-15.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah. People will continue to claim this team's dead in the water without Letang or a bonafide #1, elite d-man, but I think we'd get along just fine without one. All we really need are guys who aren't horrendous in the d-zone who can skate/move the puck up to our forwards.

If we can get Shattenkirk, I'd do it in a heartbeat and flip Letang. Shattenkirk isn't as good as Letang when 58's at his best, but I'll take the guy who isn't gonna miss 20 or so games a season and be terribly inconsistent for another 10-15.

Let's wait to see how we do in the playoffs without a number 1 before declaring we don't need one. Coincidence or not (I say not), a team hasn't won the Cup since 2006 without a really good number 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad