Post-Game Talk: Penguins don't go gentle into the good Knights (lose 3-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I find it interesting that people praise Kahun and despise Simon. They basically have the same pros and cons from what I’ve seen so far.

I don't think the Venn diagram actually mixes much. I think if anything, most hate both. Unless I am losing track of everyone's personal bugaboos.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Common Sense

Dec 29, 2010
Our defense's inability to to hit the broad side of a barn from the blue line hurt tonight. Some credit to Vegas because they were taking away a lot of the shooting lanes, but Jesus.

Hope McCann is ready to go soon. Blueger has been bad, like healthy scratch bad.

Even still we outplayed them for most of the game, just couldn't catch a break.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Would be good to see Kahun tried with some more talented players. His linemates have no idea how to get him the puck in good positions. They forced passes to him in the slot when he was covered and he got stuffed like 3 times tonight on one-timers.
That being said, Vegas are like the best shot blocking team ever.

Kahun played up and down the lineup in his first season.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Seriously. I would very very very much look to explore my other options when it comes to contracts next year if I were him. I'd demand a trade.
100%. They are clowning him. If he was as fragile mentally as Pouliot then he'd already be in tatters.

If this filth continues then I hope they do trade him, and that he locks down a middle pair role somewhere. Maybe a middle finger emoji to Sullivan as a parting gift? It would be deserved.

Reactions: canadianguy77

Victor Z

Trade me right f**king now!
Sponsor
Apr 10, 2018
The Burgh
Seriously. I would very very very much look to explore my other options when it comes to contracts next year if I were him. I'd demand a trade.

I never understood why Riikola resigned for this year, except that he must be making a LOT more money here than he could in Finland. It was clear all of last year that the Pens organization had no real plans for him (yet wanted him back for some reason???), and they still don't.

But a few more games of JJ & Guds out there, and Riikola might actually look like a good option even to the stubborn guy behind the bench.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I never understood why Riikola resigned for this year, except that he must be making a LOT more money here than he could in Finland. It was clear all of last year that the Pens organization had no real plans for him (yet wanted him back for some reason???), and they still don't.

But a few more games of JJ & Guds out there, and Riikola might actually look like a good option even to the stubborn guy behind the bench.

We have no idea what has been said behind closed doors.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
100%. They are clowning him. If he was as fragile mentally as Pouliot then he'd already be in tatters.

If this filth continues then I hope they do trade him, and that he locks down a middle pair role somewhere. Maybe a middle finger emoji to Sullivan as a parting gift? It would be deserved.

That cracked me up... sometimes I’m easily amused I guess.

I’m still trying to understand how you go behind your own net when you see a 50/50 battle in the corner... you always stay home there, especially on the PK.

I’m pretty kind to JJ compared to most, but that’s literally a mistake I expect my eight year old daughter to make, not a 14 year vet... or um, any NHL player.

Almost 8m in filth on the blue line tonight...

turd

Feb 1, 2013
Like I said in the GDT, and to channel my inner Mike Tomlin, I appreciate the efforts of the young guys... but I’m ready for the injured guys to come back.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
At the game - they looked really good, overall.

Especially considering the late lineup changes - seems like Dumo might be on baby watch rather than injured.

I'm fine with the loss where they played well, and ALSO had both of jmfj and gudbranson in to discourage the idea that should ever continue. I am in no ****ing way fine with pulling Jarry, who played GREAT, after the first ENG. What in the blazing **** was that, walk home dumb***.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Ha...Ha!

Geno interrupts Fleury's interview (interview bombing) walking through bumping him.

Classic Geno.

Everyone shocked at the 5 game win streak with having half the lineup out. And gonna be shocked again by the results of Geno/Galchenyuk when they return. I can't wait. I do like that AG gets to get settled in too before Malkin returns. That will also help that duo gel right away. Not many expecting Much from Malkin this year....I say he gets back to 2018 level.

And we have Tanev/Rust as options for the 3rd wheel. We'll see with Kahun. As for why some are praising him and dont like Simon is because he just got here(showed he can score last year, so he deserves time with an actual healthy Pens lineup before judging him). Where he doesn't have to be one of the main options to score. But a 3rd wheel on line 1 thru 3.

All of this experience others are getting right now is huge. And we are 6-3 with being this banged up so we arent starting off in a huge hole . So far so good.

Tanev and Hornqvist showing they are impact players. We know Sid/Guentzel duo. McCann showing signs of possibly taking that next step.

Marino is a helluva surprise addition to the D.

Nothing to complain about so far other than the 2 EN goals to hurt our Goal differential.

Winning 4-2 against a desperate Dallas team who won tonight 4-1 tells me alot more about our team. And the fact this stayed 1-0 throughout when it would have usually beem 3 or 4 -0 after 2. And the shot total would have been in the teens.

I also want Simon/ZAR traded this year so them standing out in a bad way on our team that's filled with WBS players? Helps get me closer to seeing that happen. While ZAR has scored a few goals to show GMs he has that potential to put up numbers to go with his size(they don't need to know the other details) and Simon has played on line 1 most of the season so far. So they should be assets and return something of value...whether thats adding one to Schultz to get the return we want or added with another. Bottom line with them...been 3 years of the same play now. They can put up some points in games at times but not the types we can count on for playoffs. Eye test...they look anything like what Rust and Sheary did for us? Still willing to see if things change a few months from now but this is their chance. They have to be the ones stepping up right now...being our most experienced role players. Not seeing that. Also see too many mistakes still....the "wtf is he doing type" not the casual ones every player makes.

Schultz is also showing that we shouldnt reup him but if no Marino we prob wouldnt trade either and just let walk after season.
So its perfect that Marino just happened to come along and play the way he is while JS is a FA and not looking like someone we shoud be spending alot on).

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Malkin

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
At the game - they looked really good, overall.

Especially considering the late lineup changes - seems like Dumo might be on baby watch rather than injured.

I'm fine with the loss where they played well, and ALSO had both of jmfj and gudbranson in to discourage the idea that should ever continue. I am in no ****ing way fine with pulling Jarry, who played GREAT, after the first ENG. What in the blazing **** was that, walk home dumb***.

Had nothing to do with his play or effort.

There are studies that show you should pull your goalie almost 2mins for every goal you are behind. Then being down 2-0, there is no point NOT to pull him and try to get 2 in the last 90 seconds or so.

Nothing to do with his level of play. Just playing odds of a desperate comeback.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
That cracked me up... sometimes I’m easily amused I guess.

I’m still trying to understand how you go behind your own net when you see a 50/50 battle in the corner... you always stay home there, especially on the PK.

I’m pretty kind to JJ compared to most, but that’s literally a mistake I expect my eight year old daughter to make, not a 14 year vet... or um, any NHL player.

Almost 8m in filth on the blue line tonight...
He got baited by body language suggesting they're gonna use the hard-around. The problem is that JJ's brain doesn't process information fast enough to make adjustments, at least not in time for a fast sport like this. So he completely commits to it.

And yes, Gudbranson is regressing to Vancouver level. I said it would happen in the summer and that the fan base would start turning on him. Give it a few months and see how bad it gets.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
He got baited by body language suggesting they're gonna use the hard-around. The problem is that JJ's brain doesn't process information fast enough to make adjustments, at least not in time for a fast sport like this. So he completely commits to it.

And yes, Gudbranson is regressing to Vancouver level. I said it would happen in the summer and that the fan base would start turning on him. Give it a few months and see how bad it gets.

You are the weak side defender, get home.

Not really much to think about, should be second nature on the PK because your pivot isn’t there to cover.

If he just did what you are taught since Squirt, this is an entirely different game.

JJ just gave them an easy one.

It was filth, but not the good kind.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
You are the weak side defender, get home.

Not really much to think about, should be second nature on the PK because your pivot isn’t there to cover.

If he just did what you are taught since Squirt, this is an entirely different game.

JJ just gave them an easy one.

It was filth, but not the good kind.

My favorite bit of coaching advise I’ve ever heard playing hockey is nobody scores goals behind the net.

Reactions: EightyOne

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
I think Kahun is starting to get more comfortable. He played well tonight.

The effort was there by the team. Can't be upset considering the circumstances they faced tonight.

Agree- I noticed him several times in a good way - he made some nice passes and was trying to shoot more.

Reactions: TNT87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca