Post-Game Talk: Penguins don't go gentle into the good Knights (lose 3-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
It should make you happy. GMs are paying attention(or having their scouts do so). Always said we need to give it time and just hope he plays better so we can trade without having to move someone else with him.

Tho I wanna see him on the wing instead of Riikola. Do it..make him more enticing to GMs around the league. Imagine if he got 2 goals in 3 or 4 games.

Imagine pigs could fly, imagine the moon were made of green cheese ...

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Ceiling v floor

We already know, more or less, what we're getting with Simon. We don't know that with Kahun, and considering that wasn't an insignificant trade plus a solid performance last season, it's reasonable to expect we might see more out of him the we have thus far. Improvement's a good thing.
Exactly. Different players adjust in their own ways to changes of scenery. Sometimes we are so quick to judge. Is Kessel a terrible player now in AZ? I doubt it. HFBoards can be harsh and reactionary. 6 games ago folks were screaming to blow up the team, fire Sully, etc. I woke up this morning to the Pens being on top of the Metro. And they fought like hell today as well, no embarrassment losing to that solid/fast VGK team especially when Vegas was getting just about every lucky bounce (literally).

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Exactly. Different players adjust in their own ways to changes of scenery. Sometimes we are so quick to judge. Is Kessel a terrible player now in AZ? I doubt it. HFBoards can be harsh and reactionary. 6 games ago folks were screaming to blow up the team, fire Sully, etc. I woke up this morning to the Pens being on top of the Metro. And they fought like hell today as well, no embarrassment losing to that solid/fast VGK team especially when Vegas was getting just about every lucky bounce (literally).

Jmfj and, in pulling a goalie having a real good game, TWICE, once with a ****ing penalty on the boards!!! the coaches handed them all three on a platter :(

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Jmfj and, in pulling a goalie having a real good game, TWICE, once with a ****ing penalty on the boards!!! the coaches handed them all three on a platter :(
Yeah, that score was not indicative of jack****. I'm taking my son to see them when they visit LV in January, hope a healthier Pens team atones for this game and the Gods quit favoring MAF. I'm actually stoked, I hear the VGK experience is a blast.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Yeah, that score was not indicative of jack****. I'm taking my son to see them when they visit LV in January, hope a healthier Pens team atones for this game and the Gods quit favoring MAF. I'm actually stoked, I hear the VGK experience is a blast.

It is! I hate Vegas generally bc every gd time I go I get bronchitis for weeks, but that's a really fun barn.

***mit :laugh:

Idk if this is something you have feelings about wrt kids, but they do enlist the showgirls to get the party started - I think it's fun bc Vegas, but ymmv

Reactions: CascadiaPenguin

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
It is! I hate Vegas generally bc every gd time I go I get bronchitis for weeks, but that's a really fun barn.

***mit :laugh:

Idk if this is something you have feelings about wrt kids, but they do enlist the showgirls to get the party started - I think it's fun bc Vegas, but ymmv
Good to know! My son is 13 going on 29 so I think it will be cool. It be a different scene from the back to back EDM/VAN games we're doing in December for sure.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
I thought it was a good game considering it was the 2nd if b2b and 3rd game in 4 nights. The effort was there for the most part.

Didnt like how Vegas players were allowed to turn the game into a wrestling match anytime the puck was within 8 feet of their crease. Not a single interference call during those goal mouth scrambles was pretty ridiculous.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
This was beyond "depleted", just a patchwork of guys in odd positions. So frankly surprised they did as well as they did. MAF laughably good and lucky. Rest up boys.

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Great effort, sometimes the puck just won't get in. I take full responsibility because MAF is playing against my team in fantasy hockey league. :)
If these injuries don't stop, even this magnificent resilience and structure won't hold the fort for much longer, though.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Can't hate the effort. They didn't lose from a lack of trying. I'm not sure I can remember the last time I saw a puck not go in the net like that. No matter what happened it found a way to stay out.

I thought everyone did what they could. I like that Kahun seems to be settling in. He just needs a few pucks to start going in and I think he will be alright.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Do you understand the concept of pulling a goalie in a hockey game in which you are losing?

Even though they got 2, both were from the red line. Both shots were under pressure. They weren't easy goals for VGK to score. The Pens were already losing the game. They had to take the chance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ms Maggie

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The only thing Schultz has going for him is that he can move the puck. Even that, though, is rough on some nights. That’s why they need to see what they have in Marino.

schultz has great offensive instincts and can shoot the puck, although he’s been off to start the season...I’m really impressed with Marino but he has to develop his offensive game to be a threat when he pinches...his shot looks ok but not really dangerous in its placement...once he develops that Schultz is unnecessary but I don’t think that’ll be this year...can’t see him traded by TDL

Reactions: td_ice

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
schultz has great offensive instincts and can shoot the puck, although he’s been off to start the season...I’m really impressed with Marino but he has to develop his offensive game to be a threat when he pinches...his shot looks ok but not really dangerous in its placement...once he develops that Schultz is unnecessary but I don’t think that’ll be this year...can’t see him traded by TDL

JR has traded away all of his significant UFAs in the last few years, so I’m hoping the trend continues.

JS would get a nice return and he’s again not worth what his next deal will be.

JR needs to go hard after an impact offensive blue liner and JS isn’t that guy you pay 6.5m+ to be just ok.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
JR has traded away all of his significant UFAs in the last few years, so I’m hoping the trend continues.

JS would get a nice return and he’s again not worth what his next deal will be.

JR needs to go hard after an impact offensive blue liner and JS isn’t that guy you pay 6.5m+ to be just ok.

you didn’t read what I wrote...I never said re-sign him...there are other blueliners we can go after this summer...of course, we’ll need to clear cap...that doesn’t mean if you’ll all in this year, that you trade Schultz at the TDL for a pick...it would have to be a better D man back in a trade for someone before you could trade him...

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
I’m ok with the 1-0 loss. The iced team held their own against a pretty much healthy VGK team.

Respectfully, the Knights are pretty beat up, too. Top D-man Schmidt is out. He directs the PP and and is a leader on the team.

The Knights are without Alex Tuch, a young stud RWer (6’4”). Last year his 20G, 32A, for 52P solidified his position on the middle lines. His size and grit is necessary to play in the heavier Western Conference.

MAF is playing without a reliable healthy backup.

The Knights are very much a “next-man-up” team. Except for maybe MAF and Stone, there is no real breakthrough star.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
If nothing else, the play so far between the goalies is making me think JR made the right decision when it came to the backup goalie:

Jarry: 1.52 GAA and .941 save% in the NHL
DeSmith: 3.43 GAA and .881 save% in the AHL

Could be a number of things. Shaken confidence. Crappier team considering Big Pens have plundered them a bit. And, I've heard it can throw a goalie's timing off facing shittier players lol.

But yeah, it's working.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
you didn’t read what I wrote...I never said re-sign him...there are other blueliners we can go after this summer...of course, we’ll need to clear cap...that doesn’t mean if you’ll all in this year, that you trade Schultz at the TDL for a pick...it would have to be a better D man back in a trade for someone before you could trade him...

I never implied you meant that.

Pretty sure my statement conveyed what I thought JR would do based on his history the last couple seasons and also what I actually hoped for.

Reactions: Andy99

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
If nothing else, the play so far between the goalies is making me think JR made the right decision when it came to the backup goalie:

Jarry: 1.52 GAA and .941 save% in the NHL
DeSmith: 3.43 GAA and .881 save% in the AHL

Never thought it was a good idea to trade either Jarry or Gustavsson so soon, at least until Murray proved he could stay healthy. I do think Jarry could start somewhere in the next year or two.

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016
Respectfully, the Knights are pretty beat up, too. Top D-man Schmidt is out. He directs the PP and and is a leader on the team.

The Knights are without Alex Tuch, a young stud RWer (6’4”). Last year his 20G, 32A, for 52P solidified his position on the middle lines. His size and grit is necessary to play in the heavier Western Conference.

MAF is playing without a reliable healthy backup.

The Knights are very much a “next-man-up” team. Except for maybe MAF and Stone, there is no real breakthrough star.

The Penguins basically have 2 full forward lines out plus their #2 defenseman.

Reactions: Ginormousthumbs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->