Post-Game Talk: Penguins don't go gentle into the good Knights (lose 3-0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
I find it interesting that people praise Kahun and despise Simon. They basically have the same pros and cons from what I’ve seen so far.
Ceiling v floor

We already know, more or less, what we're getting with Simon. We don't know that with Kahun, and considering that wasn't an insignificant trade plus a solid performance last season, it's reasonable to expect we might see more out of him the we have thus far. Improvement's a good thing.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
One more thing that makes this loss actually give me more hope with this team... Only guys that were a minus tonight were Sid, Jake, Schultz, and Letang. All -2. Crosby, Guentzel, and Letang have been carrying this team on the scoreboard(all had certain streaks going) so them being -2 and barely any shots tonight...on a b2b they were just gassed. That wont keep happening obviously.

Yet We still had it 1-0 til the end(and Idc about the end...Jarry only let up 1 tonight...so far so good ). Jarry becoming what we thought he could is also something thats possible and would be very big for us going forward. Giving us that tandem for playoffs(in case Murray needs a game or two to reset in a series...to be able to trust Jarry to get the win and the team back on track could be the difference again like 2016-17). Most important position. While i think Casey could have done that for us, they were never gonna let him so...

Aaaand as for trade bait if he keeps this up and a contender loses their starter or whatever

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Only one D managed to finish below 50% Corsi at ES.
Jack...Johnson.

I don't want to give a big pass... but he wasn't even out there for warmups, which EVERY health scratch is typically out there for pre-game. So he definitely was not expecting to play. That Dumo last minute out must have been really unexpected.

I'm not one to give JJ any excuses. But i'll turn a slight blind eye on this one. He had a f***ing rough game. Gudbranson was really solid, IMO.

I really have no negatives except JJ in this game and I'm giving him a pass. I thought they played an excellent game.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I don't want to give a big pass... but he wasn't even out there for warmups, which EVERY health scratch is typically out there for pre-game. So he definitely was not expecting to play. That Dumo last minute out must have been really unexpected.

I'm not one to give JJ any excuses. But i'll turn a slight blind eye on this one. He had a ****ing rough game. Gudbranson was really solid, IMO.

I really have no negatives except JJ in this game and I'm giving him a pass. I thought they played an excellent game.

JJ has been solid all year. It pains me to say.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
My favorite bit of coaching advise I’ve ever heard playing hockey is nobody scores goals behind the net.

In the dark days, we had D men chasing people back there and losing them constantly. Never understood why Olczyk couldn't get them not to do that. It's not a complicated thing. "Hey idiots, don't chase" before a game one time would have sufficed

Reactions: EightyOne

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014

I'm not one to give JJ any excuses. But i'll turn a slight blind eye on this one. He had a ****ing rough game. Gudbranson was really solid, IMO.

So hopefully it was indeed baby watch for Dumo - he looked fine in warmups.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
JJ has been solid all year. It pains me to say.

It should make you happy. GMs are paying attention(or having their scouts do so). Always said we need to give it time and just hope he plays better so we can trade without having to move someone else with him.

Tho I wanna see him on the wing instead of Riikola. Do it..make him more enticing to GMs around the league. Imagine if he got 2 goals in 3 or 4 games.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I honestly think Pettersson is holding him up at this point.

Petts has 1g 5a so far. Last year he worked on his overall game, we didn't reallly see the results offensively. This year....could just be adding that aspect now. But who says it isn't Schultz ? Guy isnt the brightest...we already have Letang who gets by on talent alone. Shultz def not worth committing to imo. Not with Marino, POJ, Almari, Addison. And any other we could add thru trade by using a few of our forwards(could be combo of player/prospect..tons of options to replace Schultz with a rental so we dont get worse on D due to trading him).

And maybe we decide to use a top prospect like Poulin/Legare as a piece to land us a top Dman who isnt far away on a team that has tons of D(expansion draft coming again) and want forwards. Who knows what direction we take....it depends alot on how Petts develops. JJ will be moved and eventually Guds. So we will have the cap space to add to top dman to go with Letang.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
Oh, the other thing that really struck me- I understand *why* they opted to put jmfj with tanger to start, but thank god they had the smidgen of good sense not to keep it. When they came on together i was quite certain tanger would lose his mind saddled with him all night and it actually would have been justified.

Marino did great stepping up, though obviously guds and jj as a pair is far from optimal either.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I find it interesting that people praise Kahun and despise Simon. They basically have the same pros and cons from what I’ve seen so far.
It’s that Simon the grand majority of the time has been attached to one of the greatest players to ever lace up skates and has a couple of goals in what 50ish games +/-. And Kahun has not had ice time with that talent and overall predictions are he has a larger ceiling of potential. Will Kahun become anything? Your guess, my guess, anyone’s guess is a roll of the dice. But it’s fairly obvious Simon should be a 4th liner but is propped up out of metrics that show up every where except the score card. Metric are nice and useful, but the fact is if you do not show up on the score card regularly playing with Sidney Crosby. You do not belong where you are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad