Rumor: Penguins Coveting Paul Bissonnette

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
This was posted in the thread on the trade boards.

Dhiren Mahiban ‏@dcmahiban
Paul Bissonnette (@BizNasty2point0) tells @TEAM1040 he's close to a deal with a #NHL team. Waiting for a trade to happen before he can sign.
https://twitter.com/dcmahiban/status/500062034118332417

The rumor is he's heading to Washington, but would they need to make a trade to sign him? We would. Adams for future considerations.

Caps are at 49 and still have an RFA to sign (C. Shilling). I don't know who the Hell that is, but if they want to keep the guy's rights and sign Bissonnette, I think they need to make a move.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Caps are at 49 and still have an RFA to sign (C. Shilling). I don't know who the Hell that is, but if they want to keep the guy's rights and sign Bissonnette, I think they need to make a move.

Still puts them right at the limit? Don't they want/need a little flexibility?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Still puts them right at the limit? Don't they want/need a little flexibility?

I don't think teams care about being too close to the contract limit. Whoever Biss is about to sign with sure didn't.

Pretty sure if, for example, Wilkes-Barre, starts running out of guys, they just sign their own contract with somebody as opposed to the Pittsburgh Penguins giving him a 2 way deal, thus using one of the 50 contracts.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013

I don't think there's a pressing need for them to make a move. With a 22 man roster, they have a little over 1.1M, and I would hope that Bissonnette wouldn't be making that much. I don't think contract totals are an issue either. Three or four of those 49 will probably slide, so even with Shilling and Biz that would only be 47 or 48 contracts total.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
I don't think there's a pressing need for them to make a move. With a 22 man roster, they have a little over 1.1M, and I would hope that Bissonnette wouldn't be making that much. I don't think contract totals are an issue either. Three or four of those 49 will probably slide, so even with Shilling and Biz that would only be 47 or 48 contracts total.

Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it seems to me that you wouldn't be able to "slide" any contracts until after the player in question is cut during camp, no?

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Maybe I'm wrong about this, but it seems to me that you wouldn't be able to "slide" any contracts until after the player in question is cut during camp, no?

I honestly have no idea. I could be wrong, but I don't think teams have to be cap complaint until a couple of days before the season starts, and they can still be at the 10% overage when training camp begins. I'd imagine the same rule would apply to contract limits.

There would be a number of ways to get around it anyways. For example, they could just offer him a PTO with the promise that he'll get a contract once they send the kids back.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This was posted in the thread on the trade boards.

Dhiren Mahiban ‏@dcmahiban
Paul Bissonnette (@BizNasty2point0) tells @TEAM1040 he's close to a deal with a #NHL team. Waiting for a trade to happen before he can sign.
https://twitter.com/dcmahiban/status/500062034118332417

The rumor is he's heading to Washington, but would they need to make a trade to sign him? We would. Adams for future considerations.

This would be wonderful.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
They could probably move Hartzell to free up a contract spot a lot easier than Adams.

debbie-downer.jpg

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Meh, would rather have Penner. Just as big and slow, but with more offensive upside and playoff experience. But I guess we do need a "fighter" :dunno:

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Yeah, but Penner doesn't exactly fit the "character" mold the team is supposedly looking for. He's incredibly lazy. It'd be nice to have someone like him parked in front of the net, but Hornqvist is filling that role on the first powerplay already and Penner's effectiveness in the bottom six is questionable at best.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Meh, would rather have Penner. Just as big and slow, but with more offensive upside and playoff experience. But I guess we do need a "fighter" :dunno:

Only way I want Penner is as a trade deadline pickup. He is 100% useless during the regular season, but for some reason is clutch in the playoffs. At least he was for the Kings on their first cup run.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Only way I want Penner is as a trade deadline pickup. He is 100% useless during the regular season, but for some reason is clutch in the playoffs. At least he was for the Kings on their first cup run.

James Neal has a better goal and assist record in the playoffs. Penner is a ****** James Neal. We don't need him, he'd be a horrible fit here.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
James Neal has a better goal and assist record in the playoffs. Penner is a ****** James Neal. We don't need him, he'd be a horrible fit here.

What's the deal with these random awful comparisons? Penner is nothing like Neal. They aren't remotely similar players. I agree we don't need him, but it has nothing to do with being anything like Neal.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Kings fans are saying that Penner only feels like trying (and thus being effective) when he's on one of the top lines, otherwise he doesn't bother. Now that speaks volumes about his laziness... on the other hand the top 6 is where he'd be playing for us.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Penner is the laziest player I've ever seen.

And he plays about 200 pounds lighter than he actually is (skating ability excluded). What a fat load of bleh. The Consol ice is bad enough, we don't need him and Derpy shredding it up.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
What's the deal with these random awful comparisons? Penner is nothing like Neal. They aren't remotely similar players. I agree we don't need him, but it has nothing to do with being anything like Neal.

Well, considering Neal gets an insane amount of criticism for not showing up in the playoffs and people are advocating signing Penner, I was just saying that James Neal has a better track record in the playoffs than Penner. So, calling Penner "clutch" and then *****ing about James Neal is kind of redundant.

Any other posts I can point you to of mine so you can call me an idiot and tell me how much I don't understand ice hockey?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

He's not "clutch" so much as the types of goals he scores (goals that are a product of size and body position) increase in the playoffs due to the way the game is called.

You'll notice that Clifford was in the frame on an abnormal number of big goals. That wasn't because he's awesome or clutch; it was just because he's strong.

But as others have said, Penner's about 95% dead weight at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad