Confirmed with Link: Penguins avoid arbitration with Dumoulin for another 6 years AAV $4.1million

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's the thing, why not get the cap hit down in years 3-6 if we shouldn't have a crunch this year or next? I was initially hoping for lower and shorter too, but this has plenty of advantages, considering we're still going to want to win in years 3-6.

My sentiments exactly.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Let's see how Sheary plays this year and then reflect on whether it would have been a good idea to walk away from a 3.1 mil per arbitration award.

My understanding of arbitration leads me to believe that Sheary will be award a 4 or 5M contract.

He's a one trick poney.

3.1 you can swallow, barely. 5m? See you tomorrow short stuff.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
yeah, considering how all the other contract negotiations have gone Sheary will get paid. Not a single player leaving a dime on the table, but squeeze every beck they can get.
I just don't think our top 4 guys are worth 21 million.
I thought Maatta's contract was bad, but at least you had some hope at the time for some production out of him. Dumo will never be a productive d and gets 4+?
Sigh.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
My understanding of arbitration leads me to believe that Sheary will be award a 4 or 5M contract.

He's a one trick poney.

3.1 you can swallow, barely. 5m? See you tomorrow short stuff.

That's a little different from what you posted earlier.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I just don't see a scenario where you would walk away. If you don't like the award, you accept it and trade him. Someone would certainly take a shot on him.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And, you know, they literally couldn't walk away from 3.1 because there are rules.

As I understand it, a team can either accept the arbitration award or walk away from it and the player automatically becomes a UFA.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
As I understand it, a team can either accept the arbitration award or walk away from it and the player automatically becomes a UFA.

No, it's over $4,084,219 and they can walk away this year.

https://www.capfriendly.com/arbitration
Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 1 year & > $4,084,219, Club can walk away from the awarded salary, making the player a UFA [CBA 12.10(a)]
Player elected Arbitration Settlements of 2 years & > $4,084,219, Club can walk away from the second (2nd) year of the awarded salary, making the player a UFA at the end of year 1 [CBA 12.10(b)]

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Lol. I wonder, is there a player forum where they can say "man Joe Poster makes $4.50/hr too much for answering phones at the city utilities office. We could just sign a teenager for less or something. This really affects if we they can have donuts every Friday or not..."

I'm not unsypmathetic to your point that sometimes people nit-pick numbers around here like their life depends on it...

...but, the answer is no. Because the city utility board does not exist to entertain hockey players. :D

Hockey is a game and these days part of any game is the social angle of it (for better or worse), so people are going to talk salaries and question hockey professionals and all the stuff they technically have only a superficial understanding. Is what it is.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
I just assumed the team could walk away if it was a price they didn't want to pay.
I assume that rule is in place to protect the role player guys and allow them to use the leverage of arbitration to raise their salary (without the fear of then being punished by being cut if the team loses the arbitration case).

If teams walk away from a $4mill award that player is pretty much assured of getting a contract elsewhere. If the team walked away from a $1.25mill award given to a 4th line winger or bottom pairing Dman there is no guarantee that player gets another NHL deal elsewhere. So the Unions wants those guys protected (although I think having it as high as $4mill is overdoing it a bit).

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I assume that rule is in place to protect the role player guys and allow them to use the leverage of arbitration to raise their salary (without the fear of then being punished by being cut if the team loses the arbitration case).

If teams walk away from a $4mill award that player is pretty much assured of getting a contract elsewhere. If the team walked away from a $1.25mill award given to a 4th line winger or bottom pairing Dman there is no guarantee that player gets another NHL deal elsewhere. So the Unions wants those guys protected (although I think having it as high as $4mill is overdoing it a bit).

That would make sense.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I am good with Dumoulin's deal. He is going to make $500,000 less per season than Karl Alzner, a similar player. Yes Alzner had the UFA market working for him, but Dumoulin is a back-to-back Cup champion and one of the best shutdown D-men in the NHL. And he is three years younger.

Good deal for us, imo.

IF JR feels the need to dump salary in order to acquire a quality 3C, I would have no objection to dealing Hunwick. Or Cole, I suppose if we feel the latter will make a lot more than Hunwick on his next deal.

The Sheary situation is fascinating. I wonder how it will shake down.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
2 Stanley Cups can cause a lot of distortion. It's easy to agree with Schultz and Dumo's contracts because... well, look at the results the last 2 years.

But.... and it's a huge but, if the the Pens have 2 early exits the next 2 years, people will have much different views on both contracts. Schultz's is better because of the term and he offers offense which is a hard find from D in the NHL. But Dumo? If I were JR, I would trade if something similar, younger and cheaper appeared.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
2 Stanley Cups can cause a lot of distortion. It's easy to agree with Schultz and Dumo's contracts because... well, look at the results the last 2 years.

But.... and it's a huge but, if the the Pens have 2 early exits the next 2 years, people will have much different views on both contracts. Schultz's is better because of the term and he offers offense which is a hard find from D in the NHL. But Dumo? If I were JR, I would trade if something similar, younger and cheaper appeared.

Nonsense. It's easy to agree with the contracts because they're appropriate market value. That has nothing to do with winning multiple Cups. You keep saying that you'd trade if something similar, younger and cheaper appeared, but you haven't been able to identify who that is beyond some plugger with <50 games of 3rd pairing experience on a non playoff team.

farscape1

Jun 22, 2010
Pittsburgh
At first i was kinda mad about both Dumoulin getting $4.1 M and Schultz getting $5.5 M.

Cause as of right now we have no 3rd or 4th line center and little money to acquire a good 3rd line one.
Plus i didnt think our D was that great this post season as we had issues even getting the puck out of our end.

And with next year Hornqvist being an UFA next year, with Rust, Wilson and Sprong being a RFA next year too. I just fear paying this defense this much will risk us losing those young guys that might be the ones that get us over the top this season.

Plus with injuries any of the WBS guys that will be RFA next year might be called up and play great and again we wont be able to keep them.

Of course we dont know how Sheary will play out and whom will be traded.

But then i look at our roster and think, do any of us really expect Letang to make it thru this season? He is 30yrs old and has so many injures and health issues that i wonder if any more neck or any serious issues comes up that he will just call it quits and go on IR for the rest of his contract.
I mean i think this might be Letangs last year playing hockey. You know teams are going to target him and he has the way of never getting out of the way of a big hit.

So taken him off the team, i can see the worth of Schultz and Dumoulin.
As long as we can get our 3rd center in here and either Sheary cheap or traded then next season we could always deal Maatta or even Schultz if Letang goes Iron man and stays healthy.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Dumoulin is 25. He is entering his prime and has just put up two really impressive full seasons along with three really solid playoffs.

Schultz is gone the year after if he doesn't turn out.

If one of the two is going to fall off a cliff, it'll be Schultz. Guaranteed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad