Confirmed with Link: Penguins avoid arbitration with Dumoulin for another 6 years AAV $4.1million

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I reckon Dumoulin would have got somewhere in the 3-3.5m on a 1 year deal, which sure would be great for next year but what happens in the summer when he needs re-signing again? It isn't like the pipeline is stocked, we don't have any prospects on the backend who look like they'll be NHLers anytime soon.

Is 1 year@ 3.25 million + 6 years @ 4.5 million better than 6 years @ 4.1 million?

Everyone of our forwards except for Crosby, Malkin and Kessel are up for new contracts in the next 2 years.

Having our top 4 D locked up during that time takes a bit of pressure of JR.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Everyone of our forwards except for Crosby, Malkin and Kessel are up for new contracts in the next 2 years.

Having our top 4 D locked up during that time takes a bit of pressure of JR.

Yep, we're in a great position capwise. Now just need to re-stock the prospect pool (especially on defense) so we can keep adding in young players on ELCs.

EliteGoaltending

Jan 7, 2016
I don't know what to say here other than that your opinion is wrong if you think Domoulin is only ok at defense.

Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't think that Dumo is a defensive ace, like some think.
When Letang goes down, you see how weak becomes our defense group. Dumo very often doesn't look like number 2 dman out there, especially without Letang.
Yeah they won the Cup that way, but it required a lot of ugly winning, luck and a big help from the forwards, especially from centers, on defense.

A half million overpayment is substantial on a $4 million aav deal.

And of course we are up against the cap, we still have to sign Sheary and possibly 2 centers.

We don't have a third line center and our fourth line center is contemplating retirement.

It's not an awful deal or anything. It just isn't one the the Pens won. Dumo cashed in big time considering his limited skill set.

We can agree to disagree

I agree with that.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Maybe I'm wrong. I just don't think that Dumo is a defensive ace, like some think.
When Letang goes down, you see how weak becomes our defense group. Dumo very often doesn't look like number 2 dman out there, especially without Letang.
Yeah they won the Cup that way, but it required a lot of ugly winning, luck and a big help from the forwards, especially from centers, on defense.

The biggest thing about Dumoulin is that he can take top pairing minutes, top pairing assignments, without falling apart. If you said you thought Cole is a more talented player, I don't know if I could disagree -- but put him in that same role, and he comes apart.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The biggest thing about Dumoulin is that he can take top pairing minutes, top pairing assignments, without falling apart. If you said you thought Cole is a more talented player, I don't know if I could disagree -- but put him in that same role, and he comes apart.

Fair description of it, imo. I think Dumoulin isn't a legit #2 on the basis of being more of a passive player than someone who has an obvious impact on the game. He'll do well defensively and can handle a top pairing role but he'll rarely drive play or make that noticeable/significant impact outside of doing well defensively (transition, offense) I'd want to call him a #2. It makes him a good complement to someone like Letang though even if I wasn't happy with the pairing when Letang played this season. I think we saw a bit of a sophomore slump this season but I also think the D had some widespread issues for a lot of the season aside from Cole-Schultz. I expect those to be improved this season with another year of experience, the confidence from the run, the end of the goalie saga and the coaching staff not being stupid.

Hopefully someone can take that next step in the D group. Please.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Whether he's classed as a #2,3 or 4 doesn't really matter. He can play well on the top pairing for this team. Until he struggles to play in the top
4 we've got him locked up at a good price.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Fair description of it, imo. I think Dumoulin isn't a legit #2 on the basis of being more of a passive player than someone who has an obvious impact on the game. He'll do well defensively and can handle a top pairing role but he'll rarely drive play or make that noticeable/significant impact outside of doing well defensively (transition, offense) I'd want to call him a #2. It makes him a good complement to someone like Letang though even if I wasn't happy with the pairing when Letang played this season. I think we saw a bit of a sophomore slump this season but I also think the D had some widespread issues for a lot of the season aside from Cole-Schultz. I expect those to be improved this season with another year of experience, the confidence from the run, the end of the goalie saga and the coaching staff not being stupid.

Hopefully someone can take that next step in the D group. Please.

I mean he's proved in two cup runs that he can anchor a pairing with Letang or Hainsey. I'm not a Hainsey player like some on this board, but he is a fringe #4 especially at this age. Honestly, I think a lot of Dumoulin's game looks like Hainsey did when he was with Atlanta and Winnipeg. Extremely solid player, who is never going to make you think about him when he plays the game.

I think that makes it pretty obvious he is a #2/3. I'm curious how he will look in a couple of years, if he could just chip in more goals ala Seabrook, he'd be such a steal.

Bought a Dumo jersey at Game 5 against Nashville. Love the kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad