Pre-Game Talk: Penguins (and NHL) Season Opener vs. Philly (Wednesday @ 5:30PM EST - NBCSN, SN1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
That's another thing about the "two or so years" thing; Where this team is when the deals are up is going to play a huge part in whether or not we get a victory lap from Geno and Letang, or whether they decide they're done. If we're struggling to make the playoffs and we have another couple 1st round exists to our name by then, I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to stick around.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I'm OK with them trying that 3rd line. I think you're over estimating those three but hey let's hope!

I just don't know who's passing on that 3rd line? None are playmakers. Maybe it still works but I want to see how they pass to each other.

That is my only concern with them also but I think they have enough passing ability to work if you put them on the ice with a defensive pairing like Matheson-Marino to help in that department. How I see the line working is Tanev being the first forward in on the forecheck pressuring defenseman into turnovers that those goal scorers can capitalize out on. I hope that speed will also back off the defenseman and create space for the other forwards and defenseman to make plays. I see your concern but I think this line can work in this system.

I really hope to see all lines play that way with a constant forecheck with Kapanen, Zucker, Rust, Tanev, McCann, and Lafferty just making it hell for the defenseman. 2016 style of play was so fun to watch and I think this team can play that style. I also think many of the teams in our division doesn't have the defenseman to handle that constant pressure from all 4 lines.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Potash is fun.. but you can see he really wants to be one of the boys and THAT makes it cringe. He would be loved so so so much more if he just did his thing and the players joked with him. Potash tries to engage the joking first and that is just so weird.

If he didn't get his in first here and there, it'd be just him taking it all with no pushback. He's on the plane with these guys and everything. I don't mind him at all. It's better than what we get from, Mears. Mears needs to loosen up a little. Maybe once he starts drinking when the Pens get into the dark years.

Last edited:

Fatty McLardy

Oct 6, 2017
PIT is going to walk from Letang or move him. Very stupid decision IMO. (imagine that lol)

Meh, Letang is not some irreplaceable cog in this engine. We'd be ok without him, i would hope we would get some solid prospect or player for him though, otherwise, just keep him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Meh, Letang is not some irreplaceable cog in this engine. We'd be ok without him, i would hope we would get some solid prospect or player for him though, otherwise, just keep him.

I disagree. Losing Letang especially if we lose a D to the expansion draft will really extinguish any aspirations for our window to extend beyond this year.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
That largely depends on Matheson. If he comes in and kills it offensively and in transition, the loss of Letang's skillset hurts a whole lot less. It still hurts, but it's not a huge blow. If Matheson can't find another level here, losing the things Letang brings is going to be extremely detrimental. Marino's defensive ability covers Letang's loss into the future, but we've had a serious lack of offensive punch beyond Letang for years now.

AlphaMikeFoxtrots

The Sounds of Silence
Sponsor
Oct 17, 2014
#101 is pretty far behind top-5 :sarcasm:

tenor (13).gif

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
if he wants to win another one here, it’s going to take a lot more help than what the current GM has provided...brrrr, sorry to throw cold water on your dreams Geno
Agreed. As currently constructed we're closer to being a borderline playoff team than we are a legitimate cup contender.

Reactions: ncm7772 and Andy99

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
That's another thing about the "two or so years" thing; Where this team is when the deals are up is going to play a huge part in whether or not we get a victory lap from Geno and Letang, or whether they decide they're done. If we're struggling to make the playoffs and we have another couple 1st round exists to our name by then, I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to stick around.
upload_2021-1-12_20-55-24.jpeg

It’a a little scary that it’s all up to jimbo.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
I have very little expectation for this season, which in turn has made me kind of excited for it to start. If that makes sense.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
I just watched the scrimmage again focusing on Jankowski's line and Ceci. Anyone that says Ceci didn't have a very good game is biased. Ceci literally gave up zero and he had several nice passes and joined the offense on some nice occasions including the last goal by Jankowski. Jankowski's line had the most scoring chances of any line and it was nice that Jankowski got two goals but he had several nice passes and was very solid defensively. It was only a scrimmage but I was very impressed with actually all the Rutherford signings tonight. Matheson is going to be very good for us and he is going to be a difference maker. Even Rodriguez looked good and had tons of chances and set up Crosby on his goal. If Rodriguez is your 13th forward you are doing pretty good.

Will all find out how these guys play against opposing competition but call me impressed with all the new guys. The defense is mobile and all the players seem to be able to get in the offense when needed. Also nice to have some size on each pairing which will help in front of the net with several of the teams in our division with some big forwards that go to the net.

I will say it now that the Pettersson-Ceci pairing is going to be world's better than JJ-Schultz. With that 3rd pairing we win that series against the Habs. Remember JJ-Shultz gave up 5 of the 9 goals even with sheltered minutes. I think that pairing single handily lost that series.

This groups forward speed is so much faster than last season. Every line has very good speed which is important because last playoffs the Habs looked faster. I don't think any team is faster than what the Pens will put out this season. We added one of the fastest defenseman and one of the fastest forwards in the game and it looks like Lafferty is ready to make his mark on the 4th line adding even more speed. Getting rid of our slowest players also improved the team speed just as much as adding the burners. This is the team that can play Sullivan's system with every shift. That 2016 team was my favorite to watch of the Crosby era and this team can play that way. Rather play fast and have a pressure forecheck and lose than play the NJ trap and win. Hopefully we can do both like 2016. Let's Go Pens!!! See you guys on here tommorow night for the opener!

Last edited:

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
View attachment 383688

It’a a little scary that it’s all up to jimbo.
He's gone after this year. I'm all but 100% certain. He's been fast and loose with the price he's payed for FAs and trades for years--like a GM that knows he's done at any moment. He doesn't give a shit about next year, and I'm honestly still shocked this team didn't clean house after the Isles series... And then the Montreal series. But here we are. "One more year" sacrificed. :laugh:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
He's gone after this year. I'm all but 100% certain. He's been fast and loose with the price he's payed for FAs and trades for years--like a GM that knows he's done at any moment. He doesn't give a shit about next year, and I'm honestly still shocked this team didn't clean house after the Isles series... And then the Montreal series. But here we are. "One more year" sacrificed. :laugh:

JR won’t get fired. He’ll get promoted

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
I just watched the scrimmage again focusing on Jankowski's line and Ceci. Anyone that says Ceci didn't have a very good game is biased. Ceci literally gave up zero and he had several nice passes and joined the offense on some nice occasions including the last goal by Jankowski. Jankowski's line had the most scoring chances of any line and it was nice that Jankowski got two goals but he had several nice passes and was very solid defensively. It was only a scrimmage but I was very impressed with actually all the Rutherford signings tonight. Matheson is going to be very good for us and he is going to be a difference maker. Even Rodriguez looked good and had tons of chances and set up Crosby on his goal. If Rodriguez is your 13th forward you are doing pretty good.

Will all find out how these guys play against opposing competition but call me impressed with all the new guys. The defense is mobile and all the players seem to be able to get in the offense when needed. Also nice to have some size on each pairing which will help in front of the net with several of the teams in our division with some big forwards that go to the net.

I will say it now that the Pettersson-Ceci pairing is going to be world's better than JJ-Schultz. With that 3rd pairing we win that series against the Habs. Remember JJ-Shultz gave up 5 of the 9 goals even with sheltered minutes. I think that pairing single handily lost that series.

This groups forward speed is so much faster than last season. Every line has very good speed which is important because last playoffs the Habs looked faster. I don't think any team is faster than what the Pens will put out this season. We added one of the fastest defenseman and one of the fastest forwards in the game and it looks like Lafferty is ready to make his mark on the 4th line adding even more speed. Getting rid of our slowest players also improved the team speed just as much as adding the burners. This is the team that can play Sullivan's system with every shift. That 2016 team was my favorite to watch of the Crosby era and this team can play that way. Rather play fast and have a pressure forecheck and lose than play the NJ trap and win. Hopefully we can do both like 2016. Let's Go Pens!!! See you guys on here tommorow night for the opener!

Leafs fan here,

I was like you and wanted to focus on Ceci at the start of last year and it was a bit of a ride. He never seems to look all that good but If he's played properly, hes a really effective defensive D. His defensive analytics are well above average and his actual goals against were elite.

Some quick stats:

5v5:
Rank out of the 124 Dmen who played more than 900+minutes:

Goals Against/60:
Ceci: 41st lowest out of 124

Goals against REL:
Ceci: 6th lowest out of 124

PK on top pairing with most consistent partner:
Rank out of 67 PK pairings with at least 40+ minutes:

Goals Against/60:
Muzzin/Ceci: 7th lowest out of 67 pairings

Goals against REL:
Muzzin/Ceci: Best in the NHL out of 67 pairings

He did all this while being played pretty defensively including being one of the main shutown guys the Leafs would throw out at the end of games.

Elite goals against numbers there BUT don't let him get involved in the offence too much. He was a habitual play killer and needs to be meshed with the right partners.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

Can you please change your name and avatar to Matt Foley? :)

giphy.gif

hXh.gif

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Leafs fan here,

I was like you and wanted to focus on Ceci at the start of last year and it was a bit of a ride. He never seems to look all that good but If he's played properly, hes a really effective defensive D. His defensive analytics are well above average and his actual goals against were elite.

Some quick stats:

5v5:
Rank out of the 124 Dmen who played more than 900+minutes:

Goals Against/60:
Ceci: 41st lowest out of 124

Goals against REL:
Ceci: 6th lowest out of 124

PK on top pairing with most consistent partner:
Rank out of 67 PK pairings with at least 40+ minutes:

Goals Against/60:
Muzzin/Ceci: 7th lowest out of 67 pairings

Goals against REL:
Muzzin/Ceci: Best in the NHL out of 67 pairings

He did all this while being played pretty defensively including being one of the main shutown guys the Leafs would throw out at the end of games.

Elite goals against numbers there BUT don't let him get involved in the offence too much. He was a habitual play killer and needs to be meshed with the right partners.

His D numbers have only happened one year though. This is the last 3 years and it’s weighted more on the most current years.

upload_2021-1-12_19-8-45.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad