Pre-Game Talk: Penguins (and NHL) Season Opener vs. Philly (Wednesday @ 5:30PM EST - NBCSN, SN1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Dan's Goose to Geno's Maverick...

top-gun.gif

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I mean, it's entirely possible that Geno and Letang ride off into the sunset when their deals are up, or stick around for one or two more years beyond that. Injuries, age, new kids, legacies cemented already.

Not exactly surprising. Been saying that for a while. They'll be, what, 36/37 by then?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Sid's a top-5 guy all time. Geno's not far behind. Both are easily top-10 careers imo--not even a question about it. Legacies are already cemented.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'll say this, if they win one more they can retire right after the game for all I care. I just want them with 4. That locks them into the top 10...Well, for Geno it'll be top 100.

if he wants to win another one here, it’s going to take a lot more help than what the current GM has provided...brrrr, sorry to throw cold water on your dreams Geno

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Sucks not having Kapanen for this one. I really wanted to see him on that top line game 1. At least my line combos and D pairings all went the way I wanted! I wanted to give Jankowski his best chance to succeed and get his confidence back to the player that had 17 and 14 goal seasons. Having Tanev and McCann as Jankowski's wingers is night and day compared to the crap he played with last season. I really believe that is going to be a good 3rd line and is going to surprise many people that doubt them. My prediction is that all 3 will be on a 30+ point pace with revised numbers compared to 82 game schedule. So whatever points that comes to. All 3 will hit double digit goals in those 56 games. That line will do that while frustrating the opposing defenseman with a constant forecheck.

All Pens lines will work including the 4th line with Blueger playing the shut down assignment again but with different wingers but just as effective with Sceviour and Lafferty instead of ZAR and Tanev.

I wanted Matheson-Marino and I got it and I believe the Pens top 4 defenseman will be the best in a long time and that 2nd pairing will be awesome. Pettersson-Ceci will be much better than people think also and be a very solid defensive pairing with underrated offensive skills also. Both Pettersson and Ceci have put up 25+ points before so it is not like they can't move the puck. They are not offensive defenseman by any means but Pettersson can move the puck and Ceci has had a 10 goal season before. Also having Jarry is going to save Pettersson a lot of pounding. Pettersson took more hits going back for picks more than any other defenseman from what I remember. Is that correct? I am predicting good things and some are predicting we don't make the playoffs. I hope I am right for the Pens sake. Just glad to have some hockey to watch. Pretty funny how excited I was just to watch a scrimmage.:laugh:

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Sucks not having Kapanen for this one. I really wanted to see him on that top line game 1. At least my line combos and D pairings all went the way I wanted! I wanted to give Jankowski his best chance to succeed and get his confidence back to the player that had 17 and 14 goal seasons. Having Tanev and McCann as Jankowski's wingers is night and day compared to the crap he played with last season. I really believe that is going to be a good 3rd line and is going to surprise many people that doubt them. My prediction is that all 3 will be on a 30+ point pace with revised numbers compared to 82 game schedule. So whatever points that comes to. All 3 will hit double digit goals in those 56 games. That line will do that while frustrating the opposing defenseman with a constant forecheck.

All Pens lines will work including the 4th line with Blueger playing the shut down assignment again but with different wingers but just as effective with Sceviour and Lafferty instead of ZAR and Tanev.

I wanted Matheson-Marino and I got it and I believe the Pens top 4 defenseman will be the best in a long time and that 2nd pairing will be awesome. Pettersson-Ceci will be much better than people think also and be a very solid defensive pairing with underrated offensive skills also. Both Pettersson and Ceci have put up 25+ points before so it is not like they can't move the puck. They are not offensive defenseman by any means but Pettersson can move the puck and Ceci has had a 10 goal season before. Also having Jarry is going to save Pettersson a lot of pounding. Pettersson took more hits going back for picks more than any other defenseman from what I remember. Is that correct? I am predicting good things and some are predicting we don't make the playoffs. I hope I am right for the Pens sake. Just glad to have some hockey to watch. Pretty funny how excited I was just to watch a scrimmage.:laugh:

I'm OK with them trying that 3rd line. I think you're over estimating those three but hey let's hope!

I just don't know who's passing on that 3rd line? None are playmakers. Maybe it still works but I want to see how they pass to each other.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
if he wants to win another one here, it’s going to take a lot more help than what the current GM has provided...brrrr, sorry to throw cold water on your dreams Geno
what if this is the year in which Geno and Sid play great, both at the same time, and for the 90% of games of the season....Their flankers this year are as good as they ever had....we have a really good 4th line and at least two very good D-pairs, plus Top 10 goalie...that sounds like the winning formula to me...until the opening night when my dreams get burned in a hurry:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: Andy99

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
PIT is going to walk from Letang or move him. Very stupid decision IMO. (imagine that lol)
I'm with you.

I'm starting to wonder if it might be Letang's decision to move on. I wouldn't think the org would let them know if Tanger was on the way out. My guess is either the players just see the writing on the wall or they've talked about playing elsewhere.

I was going to @ KIRK and tell him Geno just admitted he is going home to play in a few years. :naughty:
I can't do it to him though. He's probably still recovering from the Trocheck deal.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
what if this is the year in which Geno and Sid play great, both at the same time, and for the 90% of games of the season....Their flankers this year are as good as they ever had....we have a really good 4th line and at least two very good D-pairs, plus Top 10 goalie...that sounds like the winning formula to me...until the opening night when my dreams get burned in a hurry:laugh::laugh::laugh:

sounds like a winning RS formula until the first injury....lol...then there’s still the hurdle of having a coach and strategy to beat the trap in the playoffs..so if we can get all of that AND fire the coach by March , we’re golden...

Reactions: vodeni
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad