Pre-Game Talk: Penguins (and NHL) Season Opener vs. Philly (Wednesday @ 5:30PM EST - NBCSN, SN1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It’s not a one way though. The opposition will try to maximize his weakness particularly with the puck on his stick (which is horrible). Sheltering doesn’t really prevent that except for TOI. He creates zero offense.

When the first thing you say about a player is he’s a good PK’er then...........:help:

Well, duh, teams will try to have him handle the puck. We know they will try and do that. Now, our coaching staff needs to have a strategy in place to counter that.

We are talking about our 6th D here. If you expect him to be more than a role player, well, I do not know what you are looking for in a 6th D. Of course he will be flawed... if he was not, he would not be a bargain bin player in a cap world.

Should we have signed him? Probably not. But, now that we have him, let's try to be objective. Guy can be an effective 6 and that's all we need him to be. He can kill penalties, he can play well in his own zone. What more do you want from a 6? Be a great puck mover?

If Sully is dumb enough to deploy him against top line (and he did that at times with JJ and Schultz last year... especially late in games in the playoffs when we needed... OFFENSE!), well, that's on Sully, not the player.

Reactions: Factorial

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
sidney-crosby-resurrection.jpg

Be the one we need, Sid. It's the Battle of Pennsylvania.

Last edited:

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Crosby needs 15 more points to become the all-time leading scorer against the Flyers. No wonder they hate him so much :laugh:

GPGAPTS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Malkin's numbers are pretty damn good as well:

GPGAPTS
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Reactions: Riikolas Revenge

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Oh yeah, it'll be some kind of PR move. He'll either retire in a mutual parting of ways, or he'll be "promoted" to some position. Point is, I don't think JR will be the GM by the start of next season, nor do I think Sully with be the coach.
that would take a pretty big flop. imo

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
that would take a pretty big flop. imo

I think both were 85% out of the door this last year, Covid budget saved Sully ass due to how head coach contracts work .

GMJRs golden nuggets are starting to outweigh the overall costs to get them. Lack of possible replacements is saving him.

They likely stick around due more to money reasons than anything.

Reactions: The Old Master

Dessloch

DOPS keeping NHL players unsafe like its their job
Nov 29, 2005
NHL reporter Per Bjurman based in New York is predicting the Pens division to end as following:

1. Philadelphia Flyers
2. New York Islanders
3. Washington Capitals
4. Boston Bruins
--------
5. New York Rangers
6. Buffalo Sabres
7. Pittsburgh Penguins
8. New Jersey Devils

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
I dunno if I still like the ice hockey game but I'll try to watch. Games in empty arenas are so depressing to watch...

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
NHL reporter Per Bjurman based in New York is predicting the Pens division to end as following:

1. Philadelphia Flyers
2. New York Islanders
3. Washington Capitals
4. Boston Bruins
--------
5. New York Rangers
6. Buffalo Sabres
7. Pittsburgh Penguins
8. New Jersey Devils

We have a tough decision but I think some people are in for a rude awakening.

I look at this team as a top 8 team in the league if shit gets together.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

1. Philadelphia Flyers
2. New York Islanders
3. Washington Capitals
4. Boston Bruins
--------
5. New York Rangers
6. Buffalo Sabres
7. Pittsburgh Penguins
8. New Jersey Devils

Wow those are laughably bad predictions.

I'd like to hear even a shred of a justification for the Sabres over the Penguins. The Penguins are better in literally every area.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
my prediction for tonight is that both goalies (Hart and Jarry) shine and it’s a low scoring game, like 2-1 or 3-1 with an EN....I’m giving the win to the Flyers because they have the deeper forward group...

Kristopher Letang

RIP Nipsey
Mar 7, 2013
Montréal, QC

1. Philadelphia Flyers
2. New York Islanders
3. Washington Capitals
4. Boston Bruins
--------
5. New York Rangers
6. Buffalo Sabres
7. Pittsburgh Penguins
8. New Jersey Devils
Lol. I’m taking the Penguins roster over the Islanders 10 times out of 10.

No one can tell me their players are better.

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Kingerski: Penguins Missed BIG Opportunity with Taxi Squad

Interesting take...Legare getting a lot of praise for his camp...I didn’t watch enough of the scrimmages. Did he stand out?

Not that I saw. Like, decent, did some nice things, showed promise, but he didn't look "wow, get him involved". And if the call is simply "we'll never use the taxi squad, use it for development", then a) I'm not sure that's a call anyone whose job depends on winning games when the inevitable virus hits would make and b) he didn't do enough to suggest his development should be put ahead of Poulin's.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Not that I saw. Like, decent, did some nice things, showed promise, but he didn't look "wow, get him involved". And if the call is simply "we'll never use the taxi squad, use it for development", then a) I'm not sure that's a call anyone whose job depends on winning games when the inevitable virus hits would make and b) he didn't do enough to suggest his development should be put ahead of Poulin's.
I would agree but his jr team is not playing. so instead of learning and improving he's home sitting on the couch.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I would agree but his jr team is not playing. so instead of learning and improving he's home sitting on the couch.

I know, but what you gonna do? There's a bunch of players not playing much right now. Can't have them all in the taxi squad.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Was there not something about the Q players being able to play in the AHL until their own league resumes?

Or was that just the OHL. Getting hard to keep track of all this lol.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY

1. Philadelphia Flyers
2. New York Islanders
3. Washington Capitals
4. Boston Bruins
--------
5. New York Rangers
6. Buffalo Sabres
7. Pittsburgh Penguins
8. New Jersey Devils

Most of the predictions I've seen are all over the place. The East is going to be a battle as I think the Devils are the only team who don't have a chance of making it out of the East. I don't think the Sabres or Rangers are quite there yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if either put a season together. Honestly the only team from the East I would bet money on making the playoffs is the Flyers...

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad