Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Joseph Blandisi from Anaheim

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
What if.... Anaheim just wanted Grant back and JR did them a solid? Doesn't that seem simple and likely?

That's exactly my thoughts on this. Ducks are making all the trades, and decided they wanted to rekindle that 2017 magic with Grant. They call up and JR probably says "Sure, who you gonna give us?". JR is given a list of guys, remembers Blandisi from the Devils and says he'll take him. I doubt the Pens were sending scouts to San Diego to watch the guy.

Reactions: td_ice and ColePens

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
T Wilson played 3 games and the only guy he hurt was a liability on the team. Pens probably would have been better off if he wasn’t suspended. JR needs to get off the “don’t you touch my son ever again” syndrome.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Those quotes about Wilson are unreal.

How can a coaching staff and GM be so ****ing delusional about a guy?

When Cap fans joke that Wilson is in their heads, they are 100% spot on.

Dude can’t even handle a puck, for ****s sake.

BUT BUT BUT- he doesn't get scored on!!

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

It's actually disheartening to hear them say that kind of stuff. Because these are the people in charge of making this organization go, and if that's their evaluation of a crappy player like Wilson, then that makes me worried about other moves they make going forward.

What the hell happened to JR after the 2017 Cup win?

Reactions: PensandCaps

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's actually disheartening to hear them say that kind of stuff. Because these are the people in charge of making this organization go, and if that's their evaluation of a crappy player like Wilson, then that makes me worried about other moves they make going forward.

What the hell happened to JR after the 2017 Cup win?

Its pretty f***ed. Not going to lie.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd definitely rather see a rotation of guys in Wilson's spot. Plenty of young forwards that can give us a few good games on adrenaline alone.

I feel like you're going to see that, based on JR's quotes. I feel like they just want Wilson as an extra forward because of his perceived toughness, not that they want him to have an everyday roster spot.

Reactions: Jacob

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I feel like you're going to see that, based on JR's quotes. I feel like they just want Wilson as an extra forward because of his perceived toughness, not that they want him to have an everyday roster spot.

Is Wilson even that tough, though? I'm honestly asking because I've yet to see a single sign of it at the NHL level.

The organization talks about him like he's Ryan Reaves or prime Georges Laraque.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins trade Derek Grant to Anaheim for forward Joseph Blandisi

This quote will make a lot of people happy:

The subtraction of Grant also removes a roadblock should the Penguins decide to fill their final forward spot with a prospect now playing in Wilkes-Barre.

“There’s no way to get them in here unless we get injuries, and then it depends on what role we’re looking for, what position,” Rutherford said. “Teddy Blueger jumps out the most. He’s worked his way. He’s ready to play in Pittsburgh, but he plays center and that opportunity has not opened up for him.”

From the way it sounds, Blandisi will be given the first shot as a depth guy, because the Penguins think he has some upside and is NHL ready. From what I can see, it seems like they just want to have Wilson on the roster. JR said this about Wilson:

More likely, the move will give winger Garrett Wilson a little stronger foothold on an NHL job. The Penguins like Wilson’s physicality and intangibles. He has no goals and two assists in 17 games this season.

“This opens the door to have him with the Penguins more than we have in the first half,” Rutherford said.

To me, that means "on the roster", not "playing".

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Its about the philosophy behind why they value him, and what that means for the front office, and not so much his individual presence.

Except, who gives a shit about the philosophy behind a guy that will only play if there are injuries and is olny being asked not to let the hole hes plugging leak.

He is a bandaid. Their purpose is to stop a cut from bleeding. Everything if seen says he can do that, if nothing else.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I guess there's dumber things than having a really good locker room guy who's rarely scored on when playing and has no development left to spoil as 13th forward.

But man, seriously, what's with all the tough guys who aren't even that tough?

Except, who gives a **** about the philosophy behind a guy that will only play if there are injuries and is olny being asked not to let the hole hes plugging leak.

He is a bandaid. Their purpose is to stop a cut from bleeding. Everything if seen says he can do that, if nothing else.

Because the same thing is observable behind player after player after player and when it adds up, its a philosophy about who they do things and its worrying.

We've got a bunch of guys who'd be safe, being safe alone doesn't cut it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Penguins trade Derek Grant to Anaheim for forward Joseph Blandisi

This quote will make a lot of people happy:

From the way it sounds, Blandisi will be given the first shot as a depth guy, because the Penguins think he has some upside and is NHL ready. From what I can see, it seems like they just want to have Wilson on the roster. JR said this about Wilson:

To me, that means "on the roster", not "playing".

It means Wilson will be the extra forward, but will play until ZAR and Hornqivist are healthy (or at least that's my guess). I think Wilson sucks, but whatever.

Get Teddy B some games please.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It means Wilson will be the extra forward, but will play until ZAR and Hornqivist are healthy (or at least that's my guess). I think Wilson sucks, but whatever.

Get Teddy B some games please.

I'm not sure about that part. In case of 2 injuries? Yeah, I could see him in. But with 1 injury, I think they'd probably go with Blandisi/Blueger/some WBS guy depending on who gets hurt.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
I guess there's dumber things than having a really good locker room guy who's rarely scored on when playing and has no development left to spoil as 13th forward.

But man, seriously, what's with all the tough guys who aren't even that tough?

Because the same thing is observable behind player after player after player and when it adds up, its a philosophy about who they do things and its worrying.

We've got a bunch of guys who'd be safe, being safe alone doesn't cut it.

Except thats untrue. If its a bunch if 12-14 F who cares. Its not like their roster is littered with plugs

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Except thats untrue. If its a bunch if 12-14 F who cares. Its not like their roster is littered with plugs

You can see it in the dmen, you can see it in ZAR, and who knows where you'll see it in the future. So its more than 12-14 F - a group of players that can still be developed anyway if you pick the right ones.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Re puck handling, in one of the last two games - I think it was the Kings game - he successfully beat a puck into submission at the blue line and caused an offside. So there’s that.

I swear when you’re hired as a hockey coach or GM you have to sign a double secret oath that you will hire and tout “team guys” with no talent. The oath even has 2 or 3 variations on the same theme that said coach or GM may quote.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Re puck handling, in one of the last two games - I think it was the Kings game - he successfully beat a puck into submission at the blue line and caused an offside. So there’s that.

I swear when you’re hired as a hockey coach or GM you have to sign a double secret oath that you will hire and tout “team guys” with no talent. The oath even has 2 or 3 variations on the same theme that said coach or GM may quote.

Ya, I said it looked like he was trying to beat a dead rat, because it’s exactly what it looked like.

It’s sad people think getting away from the philosophy that won them b2b cups is no biggie. Fans hear enough silliness from the talking heads that they actually start to believe these types of no talent, poor skating players are actually needed.

JR can’t even come up with anything more than the lame leadership thing, oh and he hits and uh “whatnot”.

He can’t even say anything about his actual hockey abilities because he has none. Dude has 2 points in over 40 games for a reason.

All because they are worried about Tom Wilson. Stupid as hell.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
You can see it in the dmen, you can see it in ZAR, and who knows where you'll see it in the future. So its more than 12-14 F - a group of players that can still be developed anyway if you pick the right ones.

Zar has more upside

The defense is far from"dont hurt us players". And the you have the 13f of the day.

I mean jesus, if people need to find an excuse to bitch, just watch the news.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Seen him play in NJ. He looked like he was well on track to being a fast good top 9 wing.

Certainly some good potential here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad