Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Joseph Blandisi from Anaheim

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
We’re talking the Washington series.

We couldn’t handle Smith pelley’s and others forecheck. I think we wanted/still want to add that to our fourth line.

Also, I think the Wilson hit on Reese cannot be understated.

I’m not, because Washington’s physicality didn’t mean dick. Smith Pelley’s forecheck? So upgrade the D. Wilson took out the Pens worst player in the playoffs and played 3 games that series.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Icarium

Feb 16, 2010
Maybe the Pens brass expected Grant to score a bit more because he scored twelve goals last season somehow.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think something worth noting is that I think Blandisi has a legit shot at being a 4th line winger for the Penguins next year. One thing I thought they lacked as an organization was a fast and gritty bottom-6 potential RWer, I actually think Blandisi is that right now. I wouldn't be surprised for the Penguins to be planning on the 4th line wingers next year to be ZAR and Blandisi, which would be an entertaining duo to watch I think. ZAR-Blueger-Blandisi actually looks like a solid young 4th line to me.

Really? What happened to DiPauli?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It’s all a reaction to what happened to us against Washington last year. I’m ok with less skill and more sandpaper on the fourth considering how offensive minded our top 9 is.

Then ya keep the baddest mfer in the league who you already had.

He’s only having a career year after 48 games.

Reactions: BillPrep

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Then ya keep the baddest mfer in the league who you already had.

He’s only having a career year after 48 games.

Yeah well perhaps in hindsight. If brassard played to expectations and we won that series then it’s a nonissue. Brassard was such a swing and a miss.

Reactions: td_ice

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
To make it even more positive, Blandisi is like an annoying rat out there too, so I think him and ZAR would work really well together on a grinding line because of that. Steve Dangles seems to agree that he may be a nice piece for the Penguins:

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why he's not in the NHL right now. I would probably recall him to the Penguins immediately, which is kinda what I expect them to do.

Penguins Trade Grant for Blandisi: Analysis & Projections

Kingerski is saying Blandisi will join the Penguins in Arizona, he also has a nice write up on the deal:

When I saw the trade, I figured Rutherford wants the Pens to go on the power play more often, because I remembered Blandisi from the Devils as being an agitator. I really don't expect much more than that from him.

I hate that agitators are necessary, but since the NHL has apparently decided to cut back on calling penalties again, it's better to play the game the way it is rather than the way you wish it was. At least all it cost was Grant, who is pretty much the definition of a replacement-level player.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I fully support this move if they are trying to bring in a speedy, gritty disrupter. That is exactly what the team is missing, IMO.

But like Empo said, why has he been an AHLer for the last two years? If it was just a numbers game, you'd think he would have been claimed off of waivers this past Oct. Hopefully he has a resurgence here.

ETA: so basically just a swap of 2 different style players who cleared waivers this season.

Last edited:

Mrs Crosby's Dryer

Can we please fire idiot Sullivan now?
Dec 11, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa.
Not sorry to see Grant go. The signing was questionable at best considering the glut of mediocre bottom 6 center depth we had and were determined to acquire for some reason (read that as why block Blueger et al with these guys?) .

Now Blandisi being 5’11” - 187lbs with a buttery soft disposition gives him all of the makings of becoming a Pens board darling, so I guess it’s an upgrade? I know everyone is excited by those attributes and it’s easy to overlook, but it might be prudent to keep an eye on that career plus/minus -23 though.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Yup, makes sense.

The Penguins feared losing Derek Grant — whom they traded to Anaheim to get Blandisi — for nothing via waivers if they tried to re-assign Grant to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, hence why Grant was a healthy scratch nine times in a 10-game stretch from Dec. 19-Jan. 8.
“Part of the deal, aside from us liking this younger player, was to have more flexibility on that 13th forward,” Rutherford said. “Derek ended up being the healthy scratch for a long time. Now we have the flexibility of bringing whoever we want up from Wilkes-Barre.”

First, however, Blandisi will play at least a game with the Penguins — Friday against the Arizona Coyotes at Gila River Arena. After that, Rutherford said, “We’ll make a decision going forward.”

“We added him as another center for depth. (The Grant signing) I think it worked out exactly the way we expected,” he said.
“We get him for nothing and end up with a 24-year-old center/left wing. Whether [Blandisi fits] or he doesn’t, the purpose is to have that flexibility.”
Blandisi can play a gritty, agitating game.
“He’s young, can play wing or center, and he has energy,” Rutherford said... “He hasn’t put offensive numbers up at the NHL level yet. He’s having a really strong year in the American League. Guys develop at different times. We’ll see where it goes.”

Yuck.
Secondly, pay attention to Garrett Wilson. Rutherford likes him a lot, and what Wilson has done with the NHL club has not gone unnoticed.
“We like the role that Wilson plays,” Rutherford said. “This opens the door for him.”
“Probably Wilson is the key guy we talk about,” Rutherford said. “He brings special elements to our team, the leadership, the physical play and whatnot that we really like.”
Penguins GM Jim Rutherford: Don’t link Joseph Blandisi trade to Derick Brassard

Reactions: td_ice

Rusty Razor

Jun 25, 2017
Maybe the Pens brass expected Grant to score a bit more because he scored twelve goals last season somehow.

IIRC there was a stretch where all of Anaheim's centers were hurt and he was getting first line minutes and power play time.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
lol..so he compares himself to Marchand...at least he's a cocky SOB despite those six games the last two years in the NHL in which he hasn't scored a point...no wonder his moniker is the "magic bullet"...so much magic, he's invisible...

You seem to be unnecessarily angry about the Penguins adding a solid depth piece.

Reactions: madinsomniac

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
lol..so he compares himself to Marchand...at least he's a cocky SOB despite those six games the last two years in the NHL in which he hasn't scored a point...no wonder his moniker is the "magic bullet"...so much magic, he's invisible...

He had 17 in 41 in his rookie season, so that’s respectable.

That’s actually Crosbyesque compared to Wilson.

If he can skate and not fumble the puck every time he touches it, I’ll be happy.

Can he PK? Anyone know?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad