Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire Joseph Blandisi from Anaheim

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
It could also be something like Brassard and Oleksiak for 2 forwards. Maybe Brassard and Oleksiak ($5.2 million) to Columbus for Wenneberg and Duclair ($5.5 million) or something like that?

It should be a pretty interesting day because the kind of have to make another deal or someone is getting healthy. Also I know it was just an example but I would hate the idea of sending Brassard to Columbus. That’s just a recipe for him killing us in the postseason

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You don't need to clear roster space for that though. You only need to clear it if one more player is coming out than going in.

I didn't think they traded Grant to clear a roster spot, I think the bigger thing was that Blandisi could be sent to the AHL while Grant couldn't. You save $650k or whatever in cap space with the swap just because Blandisi will be in the AHL for you. When you consider how discounted Brassard is due to his salary retention, I think every penny counts. This is especially true when I consider that a Pittsburgh-Columbus trade would probably be based around Brassard for Wenneberg, and Wenneberg has a $4.9 million AAV.

Although now you mention Oleksiak, I think this trade is bad news for him. I think it's unlikely that Rutherford would sacrifice all of his C depth and that leaves Oleksiak in a field of one for likely cap casualties if brassards hit isn't enough.

The fact that Grant got traded makes me 100% positive that Sheahan won't be traded, so I definitely agree with you here. It really looks like Oleksiak is going to be the cap casualty here.

It should be a pretty interesting day because the kind of have to make another deal or someone is getting healthy. Also I know it was just an example but I would hate the idea of sending Brassard to Columbus. That’s just a recipe for him killing us in the postseason

I don't care about where the Penguins send Brassard as long as they get a good 3C back for him. I don't care if they trade him to Columbus, I'm more concerned about how good Wenneberg would be here in Brassard's role.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I didn't think they traded Grant to clear a roster spot, I think the bigger thing was that Blandisi could be sent to the AHL while Grant couldn't. You save $650k or whatever in cap space with the swap just because Blandisi will be in the AHL for you. When you consider how discounted Brassard is due to his salary retention, I think every penny counts. This is especially true when I consider that a Pittsburgh-Columbus trade would probably be based around Brassard for Wenneberg, and Wenneberg has a $4.9 million AAV.

I don't understand the difference you're seeing here. Trading for a guy who can be sent to the AHL with no repercussions is pretty much what I mean by clearing a roster spot. Not that we couldn't have sent Grant to the AHL and gambled on waivers if we so wished.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't understand the difference you're seeing here. Trading for a guy who can be sent to the AHL with no repercussions is pretty much what I mean by clearing a roster spot. Not that we couldn't have sent Grant to the AHL and gambled on waivers if we so wished.

I think the money factor is bigger than the roster spot factor, that's what I was getting at. I think the biggest thing though is that Blandisi provides an element of speed that they could use in the NHL, and Grant was just more of what they already have. I think that was a lot bigger than the roster spot or the little bit of cap space saved.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think the money factor is bigger than the roster spot factor, that's what I was getting at. I think the biggest thing though is that Blandisi provides an element of speed that they could use in the NHL, and Grant was just more of what they already have. I think that was a lot bigger than the roster spot or the little bit of cap space saved.

Again, I don't see how the money factor has changed at all, unless you mean we'd pay less in actual wages for Blandisi in the AHL. Both men's cap hits would be completely off the roster in the AHL.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Again, I don't see how the money factor has changed at all, unless you mean we'd pay less in actual wages for Blandisi in the AHL. Both men's cap hits would be completely off the roster in the AHL.

But they may have lost Grant had they put him on waivers. This is basically just skipping the waivers step and avoiding that risk.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think something worth noting is that I think Blandisi has a legit shot at being a 4th line winger for the Penguins next year. One thing I thought they lacked as an organization was a fast and gritty bottom-6 potential RWer, I actually think Blandisi is that right now. I wouldn't be surprised for the Penguins to be planning on the 4th line wingers next year to be ZAR and Blandisi, which would be an entertaining duo to watch I think. ZAR-Blueger-Blandisi actually looks like a solid young 4th line to me.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Everything I see (simple google search) states he’s a center since being at Anaheim.

Are we sure he’s a wing with the pens?

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I think something worth noting is that I think Blandisi has a legit shot at being a 4th line winger for the Penguins next year. One thing I thought they lacked as an organization was a fast and gritty bottom-6 potential RWer, I actually think Blandisi is that right now. I wouldn't be surprised for the Penguins to be planning on the 4th line wingers next year to be ZAR and Blandisi, which would be an entertaining duo to watch I think. ZAR-Blueger-Blandisi actually looks like a solid young 4th line to me.

That does sound pretty fun.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Blandisi was playing on a line with Blandisi-Steel-Terry in San Diego.
He's a winger.

I like the move cuz it adds another DiPauli/A.Johnson into the mix with NHL experience.

I do think JR was gonna have to waive Grant at some point(probably when JS gets back) so instead of losing him for nothing he called around and picked up Blandisi.

ANA has players like Steel, Terry, Comtois coming so Blandisi would've been stuck behind all of 'em.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That does sound pretty fun.

To make it even more positive, Blandisi is like an annoying rat out there too, so I think him and ZAR would work really well together on a grinding line because of that. Steve Dangles seems to agree that he may be a nice piece for the Penguins:

To be honest, I'm not exactly sure why he's not in the NHL right now. I would probably recall him to the Penguins immediately, which is kinda what I expect them to do.

Reactions: td_ice

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Penguins Trade Grant for Blandisi: Analysis & Projections

Kingerski is saying Blandisi will join the Penguins in Arizona, he also has a nice write up on the deal:

The scouting report on Blandisi says he is an agitator with good hands at the lower levels. He has shown flashes at the NHL level–as a rookie, he was noticeable with the Devils but he has not been able to stick at the highest level. Since he is smaller, his rambunctious style can work against him. He projects to be an extra forward for the Penguins, though in the absence of Zach Aston-Reese and Patric Hornqvist, Blandisi will get a shot. The Penguins need some sandpaper in the bottom of their lineup, badly. Look for him to be at full speed if the Penguins insert him into the lineup against Arizona or Vegas.

Sometimes, a player only needs one more chance. It’s an intriguing pick up for the Penguins. Derek Grant was a good fit in Anaheim. He didn’t use his 6-foot-3 frame as well as he could have for the Penguins. He showed nice playmaking skills but the Penguins needed a different skill set for that role. It’s a very good deal for the Penguins and Anaheim. Neither risked much but both could be well rewarded.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yeah, I think we have a sneakily good deal here. I'll be damned if we play Wilson over him.

Yea, thats a big plus for me if he gets in over the likes of Wilson which he very easily can given his NHL stats/speed.

It SEEMS Horny will be back soon so:

Jake-Sid-Rust
Simon-G-Horny
Pearson-Brass-Phil
Sheahan-Cullen-Blandisi

Some speed and tenacity on every line might help a bit.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
Who?

I don't get this. Grant has played well as the 13F. This guy has played 3 games in the NHL this year. I honestly don't understand.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Who?

I don't get this. Grant has played well as the 13F. This guy has played 3 games in the NHL this year. I honestly don't understand.

He's a 24 year old skilled agitator who is fast. He's a guy I can easily see the Penguins turning into a really solid top-9 forward. He had 17 points in 41 games in his rookie year and has been about a 30 point player per 82 games over his career already (26 points in 74 games). The only thing I don't get is why he hasn't been in the NHL for longer than he has been in the last 2 years.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
He's a 24 year old skilled agitator who is fast. He's a guy I can easily see the Penguins turning into a really solid top-9 forward. He had 17 points in 41 games in his rookie year and has been about a 30 point player per 82 games over his career already (26 points in 74 games). The only thing I don't get is why he hasn't been in the NHL for longer than he has been in the last 2 years.

I see that now after I did some research.

Way early to get excited, IMO.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille