Confirmed with Link: Penguins acquire D Douglas Murray from Sharks for 2013 2nd, 2014 conditional 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

nTsplnk*

When will that be? When will Shero stop trading for vets so our young guys can play and when will DB actually play those young guys?

With these two trades I'd be shocked to see BB or Des play anything but the odd game for the rest of the season and POs (when healthy).

No one trades top 6 wingers. They're too hard to come by. Toronto isn't letting go of Kulemin who scores less than 10 goals every year.

Minny wants to keep Seto. If the deal was there then Shero would do it: See Neal for GoGo.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
The reality is... that's just kinda where we are at. After several post-season disappointments and not having a healthy Sid Crosby for 2 seasons, the team *is* in win now mode.

If it bothers you that we're in "win now" mode, then you gotta understand that every team (including dynasties) have a short window to win a cup.

Conventional wisdom says that when you get an opportunities to win a cup, you sacrifice future draft picks to make your roster better today. If there is a deal that helps your chances of winning a cup, you make that deal.

Murray / Morrow help our team right now.

Sid is 25 years old... we arent even at his half way point yet. All we're doing by going all in now is making things harder for us down the road when we will still need young cheap good players but have less to obtain them with.

BTW, Murray/Morrow will be replacing Despres and Bennett, do you believe they're currently better? I don't see this improving the team right now, I see it potentially making it worse.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Sid is 25 years old... we arent even at his half way point yet. All we're doing by going all in now is making things harder for us down the road when we will still need young cheap good players but have less to obtain them with.

BTW, Murray/Morrow will be replacing Despres and Bennett, do you believe they're currently better? I don't see this improving the team right now, I see it potentially making it worse.

We haven't been healthy since 09. We are now. We need to start winning, now. None of these moves has mortgaged our future. We still have ridiculous depth on defense.

And they won't be replacing anyone. Bennett will have a spot over TK. And it's up to Despres to outplay Eaton. I'm willing to bet we'll go with 7 D in the postseason anyway.

jinx33

The Rust is real
Sep 11, 2006
Paris, FR
Experience wise, they definitely better. It's not all about skills or shape. Last year we also had "that" team making a great season, and getting eliminated first round roughly by the Flyers. Because of what ? Because of a team lacking of physical presence. He obviously not making the same mistake this time, prospects and draft picks are expendable if you want the cup.

Gooch

May 28, 2008
Coeur d'Alene Idaho
We haven't been healthy since 09. We are now. We need to start winning, now. None of these moves has mortgaged our future. We still have ridiculous depth on defense.

And they won't be replacing anyone. Bennett will have a spot over TK. And it's up to Despres to outplay Eaton. I'm willing to bet we'll go with 7 D in the postseason anyway.

You're talking like someone who has not watched how Dan Bylsma does business.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You're talking like someone who has not watched how Dan Bylsma does business.

We've rolled 7 D in the playoffs before. If Eaton outplays Despres, then so be it. Bennett can play anywhere in the lineup. If they scratch him in the playoffs, then you can *****.

Fire Shero*

If Shero didn't do anything and this team was eliminated in the first round, he'd be fired or at least on the hot seat. Now all blame is shifted to disco. Shero was aggressive and acquired players to make this team tougher. If the pens fail it's now all on disco.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
This is a poor analogy. It's more like investing in a business (or buying a stock).

Best analogy I can think of is buying a stock when the market is obviously overpriced (say, 1999) in order to get a potential GIGANTIC dividend. But you know the clock is ticking and that stock price is going to implode in a couple months.

Is it a good decision? Depends on how likely you think that dividend is (how likely BM is the one who tips the balances to a cup win).

It's not a poor analogy at all. I was using it to counter Gooch's view that Shero was undervaluing his dollars (assets). Gooch brought up using trade chips as dollars, not me. So under his usage, this is a perfect analogy.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Please tell me how trading away Joe Morrow and 2 second round picks is making things harder in the future. We still have Bennett, Despres, Harrington, Dumoulin, Pouliot, Maatta as well as Bortuzzo.

Max Talbot

Oct 22, 2008
Pittsburgh
Ok, yesterday was bad. But this takes the price. Murray aint even worth ONE 2nd round pick, let alone 2. This is an insane overpayment.

And do i even have to name the fact that thios years draft have 1st round talent through the first TWO rounds. and now we doesnt even have a 2nd rounder. Thanks ray!

That cost could have gotten us Klesla whos 3 times the player Murray is. Whats wrong with Shero??

I think the bolded part is what people are forgetting. Im not a scout but just going by what Ive read for a couple years now this draft is supposed to be loaded especially in late round 1 and in round 2. Im sorry but for Douglas Murrray? When we already have 8 nhl caliber defenseman? No thanks. Not only that but another 2nd/3rd pick. I dont see any way this trade makes sense.

Im not saying fire Shero because I think hes great, but lets be real its either Stanley Cup or bust this season. Morrow will be gone in a couple months Im praying Joe Morrow doesnt end up even a half decent NHL defensememan because if he does, we lost that trade too.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I think the bolded part is what people are forgetting. Im not a scout but just going by what Ive read for a couple years now this draft is supposed to be loaded especially in late round 1 and in round 2. Im sorry but for Douglas Murrray? When we already have 8 nhl caliber defenseman? No thanks. Not only that but another 2nd/3rd pick. I dont see any way this trade makes sense.

Im not saying fire Shero because I think hes great, but lets be real its either Stanley Cup or bust this season. Morrow will be gone in a couple months Im praying Joe Morrow doesnt end up even a half decent NHL defensememan because if he does, we lost that trade too.

You know, just like we traded picks for players, other teams can trade us things for our players. Crazy, I know, but it's happened a surprising amount of time.

That's the wonderful thing about picks-- if you want to replace them, often times, you can. We could trade up or down at the draft, we could be forced to move some pieces in the off-season, etc. Complaining now about trading picks is just silly. Complain on draft day, if we still don't have a second.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I'm not sure why people keep saying this.

This draft is top heavy.. First ten picks or so are much better than years prior, but after that it is not much different than other years.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

This draft is top heavy.. First ten picks or so are much better than years prior, but after that it is not much different than other years.

And, if things go according to plan, we'll be picking at 30 anyway. Might as well trade down. :naughty::sarcasm:

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
Initial reactions aside, my problem at this point is that we acquired two guys that their respective previous fanbases couldn't wait to get rid of. And we still have our own Tyler Kennedy.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Initial reactions aside, my problem at this point is that we acquired two guys that their respective previous fanbases couldn't wait to get rid of. And we still have our own Tyler Kennedy.

Yeah, but on the other hand, we did the exact same thing with Hal Gill and Bill Guerin.

While I am still uncertain as to the ultimate worth of the trades, I get what Shero's doing here-- he's getting players that fill niches that we don't have and who are available (which is a pretty small sample to draw from this year since everyone's still in the hunt). But, at the same time, these players are both players that can quite possibly have their deficiencies minimized by our roster strengths-- Morrow doesn't need to be the offensive force he once was, and Murray is going to be always paired with a much more mobile PMD on the backend.

It's a gamble, sure, but it's a gamble that has worked for us before (as opposed to last year's gamble of "do nothing"). :dunno:

nTsplnk*

QFT.

I think last summer there was a lot of talk about this year being a deep draft but since then many have changed that stance.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh

Well, if we assume that other fan bases are just as reactionary and prone to histrionics as this one is that doesn't concern me in the slightest. :laugh:

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Every summer people say it's a deep draft. :laugh: It's like how every nearly every team says that this year is their year in training camp.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
All of what you said is exactly why I don't buy into the whole "we must win now at all costs" mentality that is becoming rampant.

Good thing Shero flipped that 5th rounder for a 3rd, now we can remain competitive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad