Post-Game Talk: Penguins 7, Flyers 0 - It's Clobberin' Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
They're all flawed teams, including us. :laugh: It's not like any one is the 1972 Red Army team here.
At least in the East. Out West there are some legitimate juggernauts in Nashville, Winnipeg and potentially Vegas. It's such a shame that one of Nashville and Winnipeg will be out in the second round.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
At least in the East. Out West there are some legitimate juggernauts in Nashville, Winnipeg and potentially Vegas. It's such a shame that one of Nashville and Winnipeg will be out in the second round.

Vegas is misleading.

The kings looked like it was their first time making the playoffs or even playing hockey, they looked slow, heavy, and you'd think that entire line-up lacked any sort of talent.

Not that anyone should diminish the hard work by VGK, they took it to them and Kings just looked lost as hell. Quick had a dirty play and then Doughty tried to chirp them and that failed. But holy crap, that Kings team really needs to be blown up if they are swept by the VGK or if they lose to them in general.

Reactions: Brandinho

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The best teams are Nashville, Boston, Winnipeg, Tampa, Toronto and Pittsburgh. I think Philly is the worst team in the playoffs besides Colorado (they’d be the worst if Col was healthy) and I thought that before this game. Hard to overcome a bad goalie and a bad coach. Hopefully Pittsburgh wins this quickly.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Fall asleep on couch, wake up, check the scores and my reaction:

Winnipeg wins, good.
LA loses, ha ha, that's what you get for acquiring Phaneuf.
..and Pittsburgh... what the hell? HA HA HA Yes, die Flyer scum die!
...does this mean the playoffs are already over?

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Vegas is misleading.

The kings looked like it was their first time making the playoffs or even playing hockey, they looked slow, heavy, and you'd think that entire line-up lacked any sort of talent.

Not that anyone should diminish the hard work by VGK, they took it to them and Kings just looked lost as hell. Quick had a dirty play and then Doughty tried to chirp them and that failed. But holy crap, that Kings team really needs to be blown up if they are swept by the VGK or if they lose to them in general.

Not that the Kings are known for exciting hockey, but I tried to watch that game and was bored to tears by the 10 minute mark of the first period. Neither team looks like they'll make it out of the first round, but one of them has to. I won't be watching any more of their games.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Vegas is misleading.

Vegas is legit. Certainly not on the level of the Preds or Jets, but they're a really strong team. The Kings aren't a powerhouse or anything, but Vegas made them look bad. Much like how the Pens made the Flyers look bad.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017
bullet-club-too-sweet-gif-9.gif
Sheahan and Brassard looked really solid. Jake the snake feels it in the playoffs. There will be ups and downs, but if Murray is feeling it along with the rest of the Bullet Club @ColePens can agree this will be a lethal team

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Man oh man did the Pens smack those clowns up.

Loved Murray’s game, good to set the tone for the playoffs with a shutout.

Small nitpick would be that the top 6 still looks off to me...I know, it was 7-0. But Geno did everything by himself out there, zero chemistry with Hornqvist. Crosby-Guentzel looked terrific together, but Rust seemed to be on his own little island on that line. He had a good game individually but still doesn’t seem to gel with Crosby.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The advantage Vegas has in the West is that they're a fast team. They may not have huge star players, but speed is a great advantage against many teams in that conference--the Kings especially.

But back on track--hopefully this stomp doesn't lead to any sort of complacency. Thank god we started quickly, hopefully we can use this to snowball through this series. Still a LOT of hockey left though.

A 7-0 win is as good as a 1-0 win. That's what both coaches are telling their teams, for different reasons.

Last edited:

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Another plus is that sid+Geno only played 16 and 18 minutes

Giroux+couts played 18 and 20 minutes in comparison.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Vegas is legit. Certainly not on the level of the Preds or Jets, but they're a really strong team. The Kings aren't a powerhouse or anything, but Vegas made them look bad. Much like how the Pens made the Flyers look bad.

LA just looked disorganized and the VGK got in their heads, they were being punished by speed and physicality and were not composed at all. I think that series will be a battle, but the VGK win was more like the Kings were just that bad, I was watching that game and I just couldn't believe what I was watching. The VGK team was already in their heads. I expect that veteran squad to come out in the next game and win it. That one is definitely going to 6 or 7 games though.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not that the Kings are known for exciting hockey, but I tried to watch that game and was bored to tears by the 10 minute mark of the first period. Neither team looks like they'll make it out of the first round, but one of them has to. I won't be watching any more of their games.

It was a lot of Kings trying to get into the VGK zone, then acting like the puck was the hot potato and gave it up easily to the Knights. Like, it was comically bad. Also, Kyle Clifford is so useless. I can't believe there was a time I wanted that clown for the 4th line.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
LA just looked disorganized and the VGK got in their heads, they were being punished by speed and physicality and were not composed at all. I think that series will be a battle, but the VGK win was more like the Kings were just that bad, I was watching that game and I just couldn't believe what I was watching. The VGK team was already in their heads. I expect that veteran squad to come out in the next game and win it. That one is definitely going to 6 or 7 games though.
I don't even think one needs to look that deep. Vegas is a team that racked up 109 points, and they're fast. They're a team of castoffs with a chip on their shoulder, to a man. They're hungry, they're determined and they're built on speed--that's a really, really bad team for the Kings to face in the first round imo. But the West belongs to the Preds or Jets. The idiotic playoff format cheapens it a bit by having them (potentially) meet in the second round as opposed to the WCF, but one of those two is coming out of that conference and, if we're being honest, is the likely favorite for the Cup.

Playoff hockey is something else, man. What a great time of year.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Seeing shots of Sid on the bench today really spoke to the existence of a switch (that and his hat-trick I mean.) The guy had that psychotic glare that he’s been lacking, and if he doesn’t care about the regular season we should follow his lead.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't even think one needs to look that deep. Vegas is a team that racked up 109 points, and they're fast. They're a team of castoffs with a chip on their shoulder, to a man. They're hungry, they're determined and they're built on speed--that's a really, really bad team for the Kings to face in the first round imo. But the West belongs to the Preds or Jets. The idiotic playoff format cheapens it a bit by having them (potentially) meet in the second round as opposed to the WCF, but one of those two is coming out of that conference and, if we're being honest, is the likely favorite for the Cup.

Playoff hockey is something else, man. What a great time of year.

If it's the Jets vs the Preds in the 2nd round, Jets will probably take that. The Preds have too many people that will be baited into the dirty stuff that the Jets do and the Jets play that game, it's something they'd be banking on. For RJ to get thrown off from it (Kesler was so in his head) and then there's that moron Hartnell, ticking time bomb that permed wankbucket.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Seeing shots of Sid on the bench today really spoke to the existence of a switch (that and his hat-trick I mean.) The guy had that psychotic glare that he’s been lacking, and if he doesn’t care about the regular season we should follow his lead.
That's Sid after winning back 2 back, being 30yrs old and knowing what battles ahead will be like. He just looked stupidly dialed in for the 3rd period. But man he had some moments where he just had those brain farts he had all season, throwing blind passes to the other team, etc. But as the game wore on, that lessened and the old Sid was back.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ

All of whom are also quite beatable and have their own problems. Again, they're well-constructed teams but they've still got flaws. Vegas has questions with goaltending and offensive depth. Nashville too. 'Peg is also eminently beatable.

I really don't think there's a single team in this league that is built on par with the way those old Soviet teams were, or those stacked Wings, Pens, Oilers, and Isles dynasties of yesteryear. The salary cap, league parity, and coaching advances have killed that era for good.

So, in the end, should we make it to the last dance, I have absolute confidence that this team can beat anyone out of the West, should we get there. (Also it shouldn't need to be said, but I'll reiterate again, that we can also, like any of those teams, be beaten ourselves.)

But on the whole, as long as we beat the Flyers and the Caps lose, I'm cool with how this all shakes out.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I do agree with Coach that Vegas is going to be a lot harder to handle than people think. I slept on them for the beginning of the year, but GMGM assembled a great team there, and I think that deserves a huge amount of respect.

When was the last time we had an expansion team come in and be so competative so quickly? The Oilers?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Every time I think about Vegas I think about how the Penguins skated them into a fine powder at MAF’s comeback game. I think Pittsburgh beats Winnipeg and Vegas if it ever comes to that while Nashville is a tossup.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I do agree with Coach that Vegas is going to be a lot harder to handle than people think. I slept on them for the beginning of the year, but GMGM assembled a great team there, and I think that deserves a huge amount of respect.

When was the last time we had an expansion team come in and be so competative so quickly? The Oilers?
I get the sense that GG is the one that assembled that team, GMGM is just too much of a moron to not do it without a lot of input from his coach.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
All of whom are also quite beatable and have their own problems. Again, they're well-constructed teams but they've still got flaws. Vegas has questions with goaltending and offensive depth. Nashville too. 'Peg is also eminently beatable.

I really don't think there's a single team in this league that is built on par with the way those old Soviet teams were, or those stacked Wings, Pens, Oilers, and Isles dynasties of yesteryear. The salary cap, league parity, and coaching advances have killed that era for good.

So, in the end, should we make it to the last dance, I have absolute confidence that this team can beat anyone out of the West, should we get there. (Also it shouldn't need to be said, but I'll reiterate again, that we can also, like any of those teams, be beaten ourselves.)

But on the whole, as long as we beat the Flyers and the Caps lose, I'm cool with how this all shakes out.
As long as we have Sid, Geno, Phil and Murray, we can beat anyone.

I didn't mean to imply anyone was unbeatable, but the Preds and Jets are the two teams that, if they didn't have to meet in the second round (potentially) against each other, would be sure-fire guesses to make it to the WCF. I just think they're essentially tier 1 teams, whereas Vegas is tier 2, and the rest are tier 3.

The East is much more up in the air, imo. Like you said, we've got as good a chance as anyone, simply due to the stars we can put on the ice each night. We might not be winning tight games with stifling defensive play and sound, structured hockey--but the offensive firepower we can throw at the other team can and will overwhelm on any given shift and totally take over a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad