Post-Game Talk: Penguins 7, Flyers 0 - It's Clobberin' Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I do agree with Coach that Vegas is going to be a lot harder to handle than people think. I slept on them for the beginning of the year, but GMGM assembled a great team there, and I think that deserves a huge amount of respect.

When was the last time we had an expansion team come in and be so competative so quickly? The Oilers?
I think he sorta did it accidentally, to be quite honest. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he had a plan to keep a small core of guys and ship several others off for picks/prospects to really build a team later on in the season or this summer. :laugh: Things changed when Vegas came out of the gates like a bat outta Hell though.

Sometimes luck is as important as anything in hockey. I think luck played a huge part in the team GMGM put together, but I do think he went in with a sort of style he was looking for--speed being key.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Hell of a night. No easy path in playoffs--our opponents are here for a reason, they are all good. Philly isnt out of it.

Geno running 75% down the ice and scoring. Wow. I almost feel dirty watching that.

Crosby. I just. I dont even know. He clearly was bored with scoring goals and has decided to just deflect and redirect in mid air from all over the ice. A backhand mid air shot? Just. Unplug the xbox and walk away.

Murray? On it tonight.

*edit: on a surprising note: on the Philly PGT, they mentioned Couturier has only scored points in one out of like twenty playoff games--back in 2012...that is crazy.

Johnston, with a hint of Bylsma IMO.

Totally. I thought their board was like overreacting about him (I'll be honest, I dont follow coaches TOO much), but I guess not. His history is laaaackluster too.

Last edited:
Reactions: ncm7772 and SirBrad

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
As long as we have Sid, Geno, Phil and Murray, we can beat anyone.

I didn't mean to imply anyone was unbeatable, but the Preds and Jets are the two teams that, if they didn't have to meet in the second round (potentially) against each other, would be sure-fire guesses to make it to the WCF. I just think they're essentially tier 1 teams, whereas Vegas is tier 2, and the rest are tier 3.

The East is much more up in the air, imo. Like you said, we've got as good a chance as anyone, simply due to the stars we can put on the ice each night. We might not be winning tight games with stifling defensive play and sound, structured hockey--but the offensive firepower we can throw at the other team can and will overwhelm on any given shift and totally take over a game.

No worries, Coach. I didn't mean to imply you did. I was just riffing, as I do.

Reactions: Coach John McGuirk

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So that was magical. Like, I've read this entire thread just to soak up how magical it was. My only complaint is time zones didn't allow me to appreciate it fully. Never get enough of these nights.

Hesitate to try and take too much from one game for the series, nevermind the play-offs, but I loved the intensity. Off the charts. Don't know how it ends, but as long as the ability to play like that is there, it'll take something special to beat us. Particularly if Murray plays like last night too.

One of the more underappreciated moments of tonight's game was when Simmonds tried to intimidate Oleksiak and then realized he's not a big softie that's just gonna roll over.

Yeah, that was fantastic. You could almost see Simmonds think "Hang on, do I really want a fight against this guy?". No, no you do not. I really love what Oleksiak is bringing to this team in so many ways.

Mike Sullivan is the answer. He’s the right coach for this team. In the past we’ve run on emotion and it can be a rollercoaster ride. Sully gets through to them of what needs to happen but the players have to buy into it. Keeps the team level headed and preaches a good work ethic and ignore the garbage.

You can tell from the post game interviews that it counts as one win no matter the score and time to move on to game 2.

The thing I love about Sully is that he's not dampening the emotion, he's directing it to the right place. He's creating a team that's as passionate as anyone but expresses it by playing hockey. Well, that and he keeps winning. And he looks angry all the time. Hang on, this is getting a bit Spanish Inquisition...

He's got one more restricted year. I expect a one year deal for around what he's making, maybe in the higher 2M range at most.

I really hope you're wrong and we can talk him into 2-3 years at a mid 2m cap hit. Maybe you can - persuade him its best to have some stability while he rebuilds his value before free agency.

Only thing is Kessel being injured. We saw how good Brassard can be with that pass to jake on the pp. I still think we would get more from him with different linemates.

Hags stays with Malkin. Jake stays with Sid.

A Rust - Brassard - Hornqvist line would be deadly with Kessel on the 2nd and ZAR or Sheary with Jake and Sid. Just something for them to think about moving forward in the playoffs. Assuming we go far. No need to switch anything up right now .

If Kessel's being an anchor, I'd rather maximise Malkin than Brassard - and also maximise Kessel by giving him the easier match ups.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Not really about Kessel being an anchor but if hes playing hurt it might be better to put him with someone he has more experience and gelled with before. He did show in the last reg season game he can turn it up..has that wrister still.

We'll see as the games go on. For me its about maximizing each player, while balancing the lines.

For example - who needs be with Jake/Sid more? Rust or Sheary? Obvious answer is Sheary. Rust doesnt need to be with them to produce, and we would get more out of Sheary by him being on the first line again. I know he was a liability in the playoffs last year, and that line let up too many goals but Jake is much better now on D . Sheary has been better lately and I think that line could do what they did in the regular season last year.

Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Rust - Brassard - Hornqvist
Kuhn - Sheahan - ZAR

Id say put ZAR on the top line but it wont happen. Rust/Hornqvist with Brassard could be deadly. Brassard is also a guy who doesnt really need someone like Kessel to produce.

Also, not sure Im comfortable with an injured Brassard and Kessel with Sheary on the same line. Thats the only concern after game 1.

Not expecting any changes after us winning 7-0, but those are a few things I hope Sully is paying attention to and make the adjustments when its time. He usually does.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Rust - Brassard - Hornqvist
Kuhn - Sheahan - ZAR

Id start the game how they were yesterday.

If they need a spark, I dont mind what you have drawn up. I think a broken Phil is still dangerous--he was able to score at the end of the season. And I feel him on 3rd line is still more of a handful than Rust-Brass-Horny would be.

Last edited:

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
I have full confidence that the team is mature enough to understand that this was just a one game, a beautiful one, nevertheless, can't remember when was the last time I saw such a pure dominance in playoffs. Sullivan is an amazing coach what comes to keeping the players' emotions intact and levelheaded.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa
You know, I suspect Crosby may have been taking it easy for stretches of the regular season....

Scary thing (for other teams) is Sid scored a hatty and Malkin still looked more dangerous!

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I repeat again: Oleksiak cost us a 4th.

One thing I didn't mention when raving about how great JR has been for us is asset management. He has done a wonderful job in that department as well. Sure, he did trade a lot of picks, but he also signs a lot of UDFAs and develop them. His trades have pretty much all have been good. When he made mistakes, he corrected them. His run with the Pens will probably make sure he makes the HHOF (I mean, f*** the guy won cups with 2 franchises and has been GM for 25 years).

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
You know, I suspect Crosby may have been taking it easy for stretches of the regular season....

Scary thing (for other teams) is Sid scored a hatty and Malkin still looked more dangerous!

Sid ran a marathon while guys like McDavid and Kucherov ran a sprint for way too long. Sid knows how to win. The others will learn. It is all about the end result and how you build towards it. Sid and Geno have become masters at that. See what @KIRK wrote about them taking "turns" downshifting.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I have full confidence that the team is mature enough to understand that this was just a one game, a beautiful one, nevertheless, can't remember when was the last time I saw such a pure dominance in playoffs. Sullivan is an amazing coach what comes to keeping the players' emotions intact and levelheaded.

Well, just based on the numbers, last year's 7-0 stomping of the Sens and the 6-0 beating we put on the Preds come to mind. :laugh:

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Don't take this as nitpicking because I'm sure as hell appreciative of having a guy like Crosby on my team. People looking at the box score will say "oh Sid is the player of the game- look at those highlight goals!"

But if you watched in it's entirety, Sid was bad in the circle, he gave some pucks away (unforced) and just wasn't as menacing as he usually is. I feel like there a ton of games that Sid has the opposite result and doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Like he'll put dudes in the spin cycle in the corners and feed a pass out front that doesn't go in and he'll have like 5 of those shifts which don't result in points and people go "where's Crosby in the scoring race?".

That's unfair and I think if you asked him about his game tonight he'll say that things just bounced right for him and he didn't outwork many guys. True he went up against a pretty darn good line, but I didn't see dominant Crosby out there

I'll stand in my corner of isolation now :)

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Don't take this as nitpicking because I'm sure as hell appreciative of having a guy like Crosby on my team. People looking at the box score will say "oh Sid is the player of the game- look at those highlight goals!"

But if you watched in it's entirety, Sid was bad in the circle, he gave some pucks away (unforced) and just wasn't as menacing as he usually is. I feel like there a ton of games that Sid has the opposite result and doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Like he'll put dudes in the spin cycle in the corners and feed a pass out front that doesn't go in and he'll have like 5 of those shifts which don't result in points and people go "where's Crosby in the scoring race?".

That's unfair and I think if you asked him about his game tonight he'll say that things just bounced right for him and he didn't outwork many guys. True he went up against a pretty darn good line, but I didn't see dominant Crosby out there

He ended up being 57% in the dot. I think he had a bad 1st period, but was great after that.

Bnat66

May 10, 2017
New Jersey
Loved the performance of game 1 and the blowout loss to the Flyers,but I can't get too excited because its only game 1. This series can change in a heartbeat. You know they are going to give it everything they have game 2 and play with even more desperation back here in Philly for game 3 if they drop game 2. That being said, it was nice to walk into work this morning and greeting my co-worker Flyers fan.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

giphy.gif

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Sid ran a marathon while guys like McDavid and Kucherov ran a sprint for way too long. Sid knows how to win. The others will learn. It is all about the end result and how you build towards it. Sid and Geno have become masters at that. See what @KIRK wrote about them taking "turns" downshifting.

At the end of the day, I just don't think Crosby really cares about the individual awards
With that being said, let's hope he keeps it up and is on a mission to do something special by winning a 3rd Cup in a row!

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I felt the same way in the first... it’s something I touched on about Malkin and Crosby a few days ago... they are going to turn pucks over and throw blind passes everywhere, try to over pass (especially Crosby), Malkin is going to be a bonehead and take dumb penalties, etc

Just have to accept they, like Letang, are going to make some costly mistakes along this run. We will all get mad when they do, but you just hope they make more good plays than bad, and most of the time they do.

I’ve seen them both play situational hockey in tight games, and Malkin not be a dumb ass taking idiotic penalties, when it really matters.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Loved the performance of game 1 and the blowout loss to the Flyers,but I can't get too excited because its only game 1. This series can change in a heartbeat. You know they are going to give it everything they have game 2 and play with even more desperation back here in Philly for game 3 if they drop game 2. That being said, it was nice to walk into work this morning and greeting my co-worker Flyers fan.
Yep! and game 2 is the bigger game. the winner of game 2 seems to usually win the series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad