Post-Game Talk: Penguins 7, Flyers 0 - It's Clobberin' Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
Reading Flyers fans discontent with their goaltending situation. This has been the catalyst of their problems for 3 decades now, and every time they get shot at having some superior talent in net - they chase them out of town.

That town and organization has a full blown goaltending complex on their hands that they created.

Now they’re talking about trading for Holtby lol

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Oleksiak’s game is so much more suited for the East. He has been a beast against the Flyers in translation ever since coming over and that hit on Lindholm or whatever rules.

He absolutely killed one of the Flyers at the end of the game last night.

I was begging for the Pens to sit their stars most of the third and they were instead busy message sending trying to remove all fight from the Flyers and win the series in one game. That was a part of it.

ETA

Aug 8, 2008
Don't take this as nitpicking because I'm sure as hell appreciative of having a guy like Crosby on my team. People looking at the box score will say "oh Sid is the player of the game- look at those highlight goals!"

But if you watched in it's entirety, Sid was bad in the circle, he gave some pucks away (unforced) and just wasn't as menacing as he usually is. I feel like there a ton of games that Sid has the opposite result and doesn't get the recognition he deserves. Like he'll put dudes in the spin cycle in the corners and feed a pass out front that doesn't go in and he'll have like 5 of those shifts which don't result in points and people go "where's Crosby in the scoring race?".

That's unfair and I think if you asked him about his game tonight he'll say that things just bounced right for him and he didn't outwork many guys. True he went up against a pretty darn good line, but I didn't see dominant Crosby out there

I'll stand in my corner of isolation now :)

Not nitpicking at all IMO -- I came close to posting something similar.

I thought Crosby was having a fairly poor game initially. He was trying to force plays that weren't there, was back to making his blind passes to someone on the other team and was generally turning the puck over.

I couldn't be happier with the win but if Murray doesn't make some great saves early on and if the Flyers have more puck luck, this is a much closer game than what we ended up with.

Another concern: *if* we get into the next round, I hope the Pens are ready for what will likely be more difficult matchups than the Flyers. The Flyers arguably have the worst defense and goaltending of any playoff team -- the likes of the Bruins and Devils won't be the same story...

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

DeadPuckEra

Dec 19, 2014
He absolutely killed one of the Flyers at the end of the game last night.

I was begging for the Pens to sit their stars most of the third and they were instead busy message sending trying to remove all fight from the Flyers and win the series in one game. That was a part of it.

F that team. I don’t care if you’re up 12-0 and there’s a power play with 2 minutes on the clock. I want the first unit out there trying to shove the game as far up that city, team and fans ass as possible.

I want them to hurt over it. Like the sting I still feel from that Primeua goal.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Not really about Kessel being an anchor but if hes playing hurt it might be better to put him with someone he has more experience and gelled with before. He did show in the last reg season game he can turn it up..has that wrister still.

We'll see as the games go on. For me its about maximizing each player, while balancing the lines.

For example - who needs be with Jake/Sid more? Rust or Sheary? Obvious answer is Sheary. Rust doesnt need to be with them to produce, and we would get more out of Sheary by him being on the first line again. I know he was a liability in the playoffs last year, and that line let up too many goals but Jake is much better now on D . Sheary has been better lately and I think that line could do what they did in the regular season last year.

Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary
Hagelin - Malkin - Kessel
Rust - Brassard - Hornqvist
Kuhn - Sheahan - ZAR

Id say put ZAR on the top line but it wont happen. Rust/Hornqvist with Brassard could be deadly. Brassard is also a guy who doesnt really need someone like Kessel to produce.

Also, not sure Im comfortable with an injured Brassard and Kessel with Sheary on the same line. Thats the only concern after game 1.

Not expecting any changes after us winning 7-0, but those are a few things I hope Sully is paying attention to and make the adjustments when its time. He usually does.

I see what you mean more clearly now but still disagree. Geno and Phil haven't been gelling for a while and Brassard's got a lot more experience with Phil than he has with pretty much anyone else on this team. I think moving Kessel away from the 3rd line would be a mistake.

Interested in trialling the Sheary-Rust swap, but it's not gonna happen while both are on successful lines.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
F that team. I don’t care if you’re up 12-0 and there’s a power play with 2 minutes on the clock. I want the first unit out there trying to shove the game as far up that city, team and fans ass as possible.

I want them to hurt over it. Like the sting I still feel from that Primeua goal.

It is a war not a battle.

The battle was won, and I feared it could get out of hand and a key player injured, or even injured on a freak play. I get what the Pens were doing, and it worked out. But if one of our key players was injured and out for the playoffs or even a couple of weeks in a meaningless part of the game we all would be questioning it.

I am glad it worked out and let us see if the message sending gained them anything tomorrow.

Reactions: Andy99

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I really don't know about giving Sheary more minutes/responsibility. His woeful ineffectiveness without the puck on his stick (and sometimes with) worries me. As much as the Sid-Rust combo has seemed odd in the past, I'd be hesitant to change after game 1. Sheary's got the potential to be a line killer, imo.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
Honestly
Why? Sid has been red hot since Rust has been put on his line.

Obviously, Rust’s numbers have suffered, but who cares.

No real reason, honestly. Everything so far is fine as is. Would just like to see him get some time up there. But it's no real complaint or anything. Just something I'd like to see.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
And Rust's a gamer in the post-season. If it ain't broke (yet)...

I know it's not a complaint or anything just something I'd like to see for a shift or 2. But I totally understand it not happening. Things went more than fine last night. So I'm cool with not touching anything.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Not nitpicking at all IMO -- I came close to posting something similar.

I thought Crosby was having a fairly poor game initially. He was trying to force plays that weren't there, was back to making his blind passes to someone on the other team and was generally turning the puck over.

I couldn't be happier with the win but if Murray doesn't make some great saves early on and if the Flyers have more puck luck, this is a much closer game than what we ended up with.

Another concern: *if* we get into the next round, I hope the Pens are ready for what will likely be more difficult matchups than the Flyers. The Flyers arguably have the worst defense and goaltending of any playoff team -- the likes of the Bruins and Devils won't be the same story...

Wait, what?

The Devils easily have the worst D in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->