Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Red Wings 2 - #81, #19 Almost Get HT's; ZAR Almost Does Something

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
After a bad/sloppy 1st where Murr held the fort...

-Murray continues his strong play
-Geno/Phil pick it up and show some resolve with a little bit of Horny/Pearson. Tinge of Simon.
-all without L1 getting on the board 5on5 but still looking solid

Pretty much how i wanted to start the post Xmas break.

Moving forward:

-Plz don't put Rig back in
-experiment with the 4th line

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Outside the first period, everyone earned a + except for one player and no it’s not Geno, who’s on a roller coaster but he’s working his way to the land of the living....

-ZAR...is there a NHL player who is as useless? Why the **** are we icing a player who can’t pass, accept a pass or get the puck out of the zone? I have no clue what the coaching staff sees...

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Geno, playing meh but still having a multi-point night.

5cZ1Iu4.gif

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
I cant wait till Justin comes back. This D will be set once he is in. I hope he has at least a month and a half that he can play in season before playoffs start. when is he projected to be back in game?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
You know, I genuinely have NO idea how to evaluate this game for Geno.

The WTF play on the Wings 2nd goal. Losing #72 in 3 on 3 transition defense so easily (Wings didn't exploit). That fly by when if he stops at the goal he has a tap in off that Simon shot.

Little things like that. There's still ugly micro moments like that.

But, on a macro level, THIS definitely is a lot better. Two or three weeks ago, I said he was in full 'I'm out' mode. Never seen anything that bad.

Tonight was more 'Geno trying too hard' badish/betterish . . . eh, not sure what you call it per se. I still see him trying to 'manufacture', but I also saw a lot of him trying to let the game come to him and take what was there. A mixed bag, I guess, is the appropriate description?

And, I'll repeat something two things I said in the GDT:

1. It's really easy to say 'sit him'. Ride him . . . he can take it. I've said it. BUT, IF Sullivan does that, then it definitely needs to be the standard for everyone, because if it's not, then Sully risks losing Geno. So, I get why Sully is doing what he's doing. He's more likely to get what he wants taking the approach he has, and there's big risk of downside to taking the alternative approach. Not an easy spot for Sully.

2. I actually think Geno gets it when they're telling him to take what comes and not try to force things. Problem is, when it seems like one is being patient forever and it still isn't happening at all, instinct is to try to force things. It's why we're at a point where it simultaneously seems like he's a goal away from snapping out of the funk fully and like he's inexplicably forcing things.

EDIT: Good news is that he'll snap out of it. I see some positive signs with the Simon-Horny due, and it definitely would help him if that trio regularly were out there with a defenseman who can contribute to transition and in zone offense.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The third line looked dangerous tonight, we need a lot more of that. I liked our compete level. MM solid, after a slow start a pretty handy win.

Reactions: EightyOne

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
We are back above 500 on the year.
too bad CBJ and caps have games on hand + 5 points from the top. Considering the brutal scheduling for Pens coming up, they have to put some cushion right now. Otherwise, It might even be dicy by the time April comes to make it to the playoffs (i have no f***ing clue what the NHL was thinking putting all those rest days earlier in the year and scheduling it the way they did in March and April)

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Jets are currently losing. If that stays the same we’ve had the 2nd best record in the league in the last 10 games.

12-4-2 in the last 5 weeks :)

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
too bad CBJ and caps have games on hand + 5 points from the top. Considering the brutal scheduling for Pens coming up, they have to put some cushion right now. Otherwise, It might even be dicy by the time April comes to make it to the playoffs (i have no ****ing clue what the NHL was thinking putting all those rest days earlier in the year and scheduling it the way they did in March and April)

We'll worry about April when it hits, right now not digging the hole deeper is imporant.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Murray is back to being Murray. 4th VERY good start in a row. That's the most important thing.

Good games from Kessel and Brassard.

Sid being his usual self.

Maatta stepping up instead of skating back on that Geno turnover is Olli's year in a nutshell. Bad read, bad decision.

4 in a row. Keep on rolling boys ;)

1. That sequence is so bad Geno deserves the blame there.

2. IF Maatta skates back and to the left, Geno dishes to him and nobody is even close . . . he can skate in and get off a clean shot from the circle. Or, a defenseman who isn't so slow could.

Reactions: Nbaro09

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad