Post-Game Talk: Penguins 5, Red Wings 2 - #81, #19 Almost Get HT's; ZAR Almost Does Something

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Trading Schultz would be dumb. Oleksiak is still our 2nd highest scoring d, and our transition game after our top pairing is doodoo. Schultz is not only a great 2nd pair RH PMD, he's a lot better in his own end than he gets credit for.

He makes the Pens a much better team and I'm counting the days 'til he gets back. I just hope he can round back into form fairly quickly...getting a guy like Green as a contingency plan would be my ideal.

Just trade Maatta or healthy scratch JJ if the only way he's semi-useful is when Pettersson's babysitting him. Having Schultz in the line-up is more important than trying to buoy JJ's value.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think I realized what it is: I fully think Pettersson is better than Maatta right now. Scratching Pettersson to keep Maatta in the lineup just seems wrong to me. Maatta hasn't even been bad recently from what I've seen, he had a good game right before the Christmas break and I don't think he was bad last night. I just think Pettersson is better and is their 3rd best defenseman right now, so any result of Pettersson getting scratched is something I don't like.

If he continues to be their 3rd best dman, then he probably won't be the one getting scratched. Personally I think that's a pretty lofty assessment of a guy playing 3rd pairing assignments and getting much the same possession metric problems that are levelled at other guys.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If he continues to be their 3rd best dman, then he probably won't be the one getting scratched. Personally I think that's a pretty lofty assessment of a guy playing 3rd pairing assignments and getting much the same possession metric problems that are levelled at other guys.

If you want to look at possession metrics, Pettersson is actually doing dramatically better than all of Johnson, Maatta, Oleksiak and Riikola. Pettersson is at a -0.4% CF%Rel and +4.36% HDCF%Rel since coming to the Penguins with getting 47.4% offensive zone starts%. That's actually really good overall, not just in the context of the rest of the team. Over the same sample size, here is what the numbers of their other defensemen not named Dumoulin and Letang look like:

-Johnson: -4.76% CF%Rel with 47.66% offensive zone start%
-Maatta: -8.93% CF%Rel with 44.14% offensive zone start%
-Oleksiak: -8.47% CF%Rel with 36.49% offensive zone start%
-Riikola: -12.40% CF%Rel with 52.5% offensive zone start%

Not only does Pettersson have pretty good basic CF% numbers, his HDCF numbers are also great. If you want to look at possession metrics, Pettersson has been a huge difference for the bottom-4 defensemen. His possession metrics are actually really good.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If you want to look at possession metrics, Pettersson is actually doing dramatically better than all of Johnson, Maatta, Oleksiak and Riikola. Pettersson is at about a -0.4% CF%Rel since coming to the Penguins with getting 48.2% offensive zone starts%. That's actually pretty good overall, not just in the context of the rest of the team. Over the same sample size, here is what the numbers of their other defensemen not named Dumoulin and Letang look like:

Not only does Pettersson have pretty good basic CF% numbers, his HDCF numbers are also great. If you want to look at possession metrics, Pettersson has been a huge difference for the bottom-4 defensemen. His possession metrics are actually really good.

Huh. Fair enough. Last I looked it was all a lot closer together.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If you want to look at possession metrics, Pettersson is actually doing dramatically better than all of Johnson, Maatta, Oleksiak and Riikola. Pettersson is at a -0.4% CF%Rel and +4.36% HDCF%Rel since coming to the Penguins with getting 47.4% offensive zone starts%. That's actually really good overall, not just in the context of the rest of the team. Over the same sample size, here is what the numbers of their other defensemen not named Dumoulin and Letang look like:

I’m a huge MP fan, but I wouldn’t be throwing him into the fire anymore than we already have by pairing him with JJ.

I’d test him with Schultz when he gets back and see how it goes.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Sorry

May 18, 2005
Someone needs to teach Riikola to shorten his wind up. It’s ridiculous. He has a good shot but it’ll get blocked every single time taking that long in his backswing.

ncm7772

Apr 10, 2016
Upstate NY
So really 10%....

10percent.jpg

Classic!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad